BCS selection criteria

BamaSully

1st Team
Oct 13, 1999
Jackson, TN
Bottom line: There are way too many criteria! The #1 thru #6 teams all are in BCS bowls, but #7 thru #11 are not. #12, #15, #21, and one unranked team are in.

To repeat Krazy's motto: The BCS is all about inclusion over excellence. AND IT SUCKS. I was so proud to hear Herbie blast the process over and over again on the BCS show last night. Even though the "IT" conference right now is the SEC, he was able to be unbiased and call it like it is.

Then Rece Davis "saved the day" by reminding Kirk we have a 4-team playoff soon. Can someone tell me exactly WHAT that is going to solve? You still have to pick the right teams or it will still be a hopeless sham.

If they go into this playoff with a bunch of the same arbitrary requirements we have now and we end up with #1, #4, #6 and #10 in the playoff (or some crap like that) I am afraid my head will pop off from the frustration.

I bet that is what will happen. I bet they will say only one team per conference. Top three conf champs are in. Then the 4th spot is for ND if they are ranked in the top 80 or a conf champ from one of the non-AQ conferences. I bet we will NEVER see the top four teams in the BCS poll get into the playoffs. And I bet college football will never quite be the same as a result.

Just venting. Let me know your thoughts.

-Sully

Snuffy Smith

All-American
Sep 12, 2012
Huntsville, AL
Does anyone know how/if this changes when we go to the playoff system? I know there will be 6 "big" venues now - I just haven't heard about if there will be AQ into the non-playoff games based on some bogus criteria (like finishing 16 or higher etc).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bottom line: There are way too many criteria! The #1 thru #6 teams all are in BCS bowls, but #7 thru #11 are not. #12, #15, #21, and one unranked team are in.

To repeat Krazy's motto: The BCS is all about inclusion over excellence. AND IT SUCKS. I was so proud to hear Herbie blast the process over and over again on the BCS show last night. Even though the "IT" conference right now is the SEC, he was able to be unbiased and call it like it is.

Then Rece Davis "saved the day" by reminding Kirk we have a 4-team playoff soon. Can someone tell me exactly WHAT that is going to solve? You still have to pick the right teams or it will still be a hopeless sham.

If they go into this playoff with a bunch of the same arbitrary requirements we have now and we end up with #1, #4, #6 and #10 in the playoff (or some crap like that) I am afraid my head will pop off from the frustration.

I bet that is what will happen. I bet they will say only one team per conference. Top three conf champs are in. Then the 4th spot is for ND if they are ranked in the top 80 or a conf champ from one of the non-AQ conferences. I bet we will NEVER see the top four teams in the BCS poll get into the playoffs. And I bet college football will never quite be the same as a result.

Just venting. Let me know your thoughts.

-Sully
Before you rant, check your facts. One team per conference is not going to be a rule.

Also, I don't know why this is hard to understand: The BCS is only about matching up #1 and #2. After that, there was never a requirement or intention to match the best teams in the remaining bowls. Never. It was a system where the big conferences could control the money, until the smaller conferences grew some teeth and issued anti-trust threats, forcing the additional rules to be put into place.

Last edited:
Does anyone know how/if this changes when we go to the playoff system? I know there will be 6 "big" venues now - I just haven't heard about if there will be AQ into the non-playoff games based on some bogus criteria (like finishing 16 or higher etc).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
There will be access available to the lower conferences in the bowls not deemed the semi-finals (The top 4 teams will be going to those two bowls). The Big East is losing their automatic qualifier spot.

BamaSully

1st Team
Oct 13, 1999
Jackson, TN
I didn't say anything about a requirement or about the BCS failing to do what it was designed to do. In fact, I have been a staunch BCS supporter when it comes to arguing for/against a playoff.

My post says that it is currently about inclusion over excellence, which is obvious, and I am simply stating I am tired of that overriding philosphy. I am also stating that you, me, and everyone else are ALL going to be very frustrated when the SAME PHILOSOPHY creeps into the 4-team playoff selection process and the best four teams are not in it.

Simply put, I am saying dont be blind like Rece Davis and think the playoff fixes anything.

BamaSully

1st Team
Oct 13, 1999
Jackson, TN
...because they haven't even decided how the teams will be picked yet, so we have no clue. The only thing I have to go by as I try to guess what the process will be, is that the same knuckleheads will put the same "requirements" in place to try and control the outcome (i.e. you must win your conf, you must not be from the SEC, etc, etc.).

I didnt say anything about a requirement or about the BCS failing to do what it was designed to do. In fact, I have been a staunch BCS supporter when it comes to arguing for/against a playoff.

My post says that it is currently about inclusion over excellence, which is obvious, and I am simply stating I am tired of that overriding philosphy. I am also stating that you, me, and everyone else are ALL going to be very frustrated when the SAME PHILOSPOHY creeps into the top-4 playoff team selection process and the best four teams are not in it.

Simply put, I am saying dont be blind like Rece Davis and think the playoff fixes anything.
I don't think the playoffs fixes anything. I think it just rewards whatever team is hot at that moment, much like the NCAA Basketball championship. People will lose their mind over teams #5 and #6 that don't get into the two semifinal games. My original post was based on your statement regarding how higher ranked teams are not in the BCS bowls past the championship game. That happens every year. The BCS system has always been about inclusion over excellence.

BamaSully

1st Team
Oct 13, 1999
Jackson, TN
I agree with what you are saying but I will push it one step farther. The outcry won't be over #5 and #6. It will be over #2 or #3 or #4 that gets left out because they don't meet some arbitrary pre-conceived requirement that suits the pencilnecks.

...because they haven't even decided how the teams will be picked yet, so we have no clue. The only thing I have to go by as I try to guess what the process will be, is that the same knuckleheads will put the same "requirements" in place to try and control the outcome (i.e. you must win your conf, you must not be from the SEC, etc, etc.).
And I've already told you the conference champions requirement IS NOT ON THE TABLE. Read this about a mock selection committee that was recently done. They decided on Notre Dame, Oregon, Alabama, and Florida. http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/20...l-playoff-mock-selection-committee/index.html

BamaSully

1st Team
Oct 13, 1999
Jackson, TN
And I've already told you the conference champions requirement IS NOT ON THE TABLE. Read this about a mock selection committee that was recently done. They decided on Notre Dame, Oregon, Alabama, and Florida. http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/20...l-playoff-mock-selection-committee/index.html
Thanks Diamond. That article helps make my point. Read through it when you've got time. SI will NOT be in charge of the real selection committee so this has absolutely ZERO bearing on what will actually happen when the current powers-that-be get in a room together and lay out the criteria.

I'd love to see something like that final 4, but I'd be willing to bet a paycheck it DOES NOT turn out like that. Dude the only objective evidence either of us have to go on is this: The same pencil-neck knuckleheads who endorse the current "inclusion over excellence" model will be in charge of the selection committee participants and it's selection criteria.

So you believe they've recently had a change of heart and decided that the best four teams must play even if three of them are from the SEC?

Thanks Diamond. That article helps make my point. Read through it when you've got time. SI will NOT be in charge of the real selection committee so this has absolutely ZERO bearing on what will actually happen when the current powers-that-be get in a room together and lay out the criteria.

I'd love to see something like that final 4, but I'd be willing to bet a paycheck it DOES NOT turn out like that. Dude the only objective evidence either of us have to go on is this: The same pencil-neck knuckleheads who endorse the current "inclusion over excellence" model will be in charge of the selection committee participants and it's selection criteria.

So you believe they've recently had a change of heart and decided that the best four teams must play even if three of them are from the SEC?
9 times out of 10, there won't be 3 SEC teams in the top 4 after the SEC Championship game. The loser, like Georgia, will suffer a fall bumping them out of that position.

I'd be willing to bet a paycheck you're letting your apparent hatred for all things pencil-necked cloud your judgement. The "inclusion over excellence" model will be in effect in the bowls NOT being used for the two semi-final sites.

BamaSully

1st Team
Oct 13, 1999
Jackson, TN
Nope. I am a pencil-necked engineer myself. The truth is, I am an objectively thinking football fan who loves the sport and wants to see it continue to thive. I can set aside my own beliefs and issues to make sure the right thing happens. In this case, that right thing would be that the best four teams play regardless of any other criteria. I just don't have confidence that will happen.

Nope. I am a pencil-necked engineer myself. The truth is, I am an objectively thinking football fan who loves the sport and wants to see it continue to thive. I can set aside my own beliefs and issues to make sure the right thing happens. In this case, that right thing would be that the best four teams play regardless of any other criteria. I just don't have confidence that will happen.
Fair enough, but I'm also trying to see things objectively here... and I'm not as worried as you are.

BamaSully

1st Team
Oct 13, 1999
Jackson, TN
It will be very fun and and I am very anxious to find out how the process will work. I just hope we get it right. You know, Sports Illustrated won't have any influence in the process, but Jim Delaney, Larry Scott and Jack Swarbrick will, and that's what worries me.

You see right now we have a subjective system based primarily on the opinions of men. In the future what we will have is a subjective system based primarily on the opinions of men. Right now, there are roughly 130 opinions included (coaches poll members, harris poll members, computer poll creators). In the future there will be rougly 15. Which one is easier to control through politcal means? 130 or 15? The 130 are spread all over the country. I can only assume the 15 will be required to meet together numerous times, which makes for a great opportunity for Delaney to pop in and say "Hi". The pressure on those committee members will probably be like nothing they have seen before.

They have already put it on paper that conference champions will be "preferred". Interpretation: This season we would probably have ND, Bama, Oregon and KState, leaving out Florida who didn't win their division. Let's talk about that for a minute. I want to be clear in saying, that would NOT be a travesty. KState was ranked #1 for a few weeks and we ranked higher than Florida for most of the sseason. They are a very solid, well-balanced team. But the bottom line is, the team ranked #3 in the BCS poll would be left out.

Look at 2011. The top conf champs are LSU, OkState and Oregon. If they dropped as low as #7 to grab Boise State or even #10 to grab the B1G champ Wisconsin, I think that would be a total travesty. That would mean leaving out the BCS #2 (Bama) and BCS #4 (Stanford) teams. That by definition is inclusion over excellence and I obviously ain't a fan.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.