BamaNation Hall of Fame Jessica4Bama's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Angelic on TideFans.com

Why are some saying that Bama vs. ND is like SEC vs. SEC?

I heard this several times yesterday. I forget who it was, but he said that this match up is like two SEC teams playing. What is he meaning? If I remember correctly, he was mentioning the defenses when he said this.
    So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen, since what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal. - 2 Corinthians 4:18

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation Hall of Fame DiamondDust's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Why are some saying that Bama vs. ND is like SEC vs. SEC?

Quote Originally Posted by Jessica4Bama View Post
    I heard this several times yesterday. I forget who it was, but he said that this match up is like two SEC teams playing? What is he meaning?
    Because Notre Dame plays like an SEC team: Good running game, very good running defense up front.
    “We have 45 men suited up. They're all supposed to be ready to play.”

-Bill Belichick

Suspended
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Relaxed on TideFans.com

When I saw Notre Dame in 2010, I believe their 3rd game, I felt like I was watching the Bama 1990 team, with similar key players too. The team was like a car screeching to a halt ready to head in another direction, which is often the case with good coaches. But you could see the building blocks of physical pro style football, not finesse ball emerging.

Notre Dame plays more like a southern team than the Big 10 or ACC.

A lot of great coaches at big time programs hit gold in their 3rd season, but Coach Saban is an extremely rare coach and will deny Coach Kelly and ND.

BamaNation First Team
    Post Thanks / Like

I know exactly what he was talking about. Manti Te'o is as good of a linebacker as there's been in college football in a long time. But that's not all.

Their defensive line is made of big, strong, fast, athletic kids they came and recruited from the southeast and Texas, etc. that were heavily recruited by SEC teams. These aren't thick-ankled waist benders from the midwest that typically make up what you see in the Big-10, etc.

Tuitt, Louis Nix, Kapron Lewis-Moore, Shembo, etc. could play for anybody from what I've seen. They understand leverage and have the ability to own the line of scrimmage. That's why they're undefeated in my estimation.

BamaNation All-American ALA2262's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

ND-Bama will be an "old school" football game. Played the way football was intended to be played.

BamaNation Hall of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

They play a 2-gap 3-4 with defensive linemen who clog the gaps while the linebackers get all the glory. The stars of their offense is their OL, they rotate generously at tailback, but the QB can make some clutch plays to maintain balance. Personally, I feel like this year's Notre Dame is more like our last two champions than our own team this year. Alabama has a little different mix across the board: defense is good but not great, the offense is a little more pass focused though the SECCG was a turnaround.

BamaNation Hall of Fame CajunCrimson's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Busy on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by DiamondDust View Post
    Because Notre Dame WANTS TO PLAY like an SEC team: Good running game, very good running defense up front.
    FIFY
    Raj: Excuse me, I can't be drinking, I'm about to make an important scientific discovery here!
    Howard:What? Galileo did his best work while drinking wine!
    Raj: How do you know that?
    Howard: He was Italian, it's a reasonable assumption.
    Raj: Dude, can you even open your mouth without saying a cultural stereotype?
    Howard: I'm sorry Galileo drank diet sprite!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CajunCrimson View Post
    FIFY
    I meant exactly what I said.

-Bill Belichick

BamaNation All-American BamaMoon's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DiamondDust View Post
    I meant exactly what I said.
    No doubting your statement, but to be fair, Kelly actually said last night on ESPN that they want to play ball like Alabama.

Until they play an SEC team and win they "want to" play like an SEC elite team.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BamaMoon View Post
    No doubting your statement, but to be fair, Kelly actually said last night on ESPN that they want to play ball like Alabama.

Until they play an SEC team and win they "want to" play like an SEC elite team.
    And my statement goes back to the fact Notre Dame's team this year is based on the foundation of a sound running game and very good rush defense. I know what Kelly said and means, but those two elements are very much the foundation of most SEC schools.

-Bill Belichick