Why are some saying that Bama vs. ND is like SEC vs. SEC?

Jessica4Bama

Hall of Fame
Nov 7, 2009
Alabama
I heard this several times yesterday. I forget who it was, but he said that this match up is like two SEC teams playing. What is he meaning? If I remember correctly, he was mentioning the defenses when he said this.

CapstoneTider

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
When I saw Notre Dame in 2010, I believe their 3rd game, I felt like I was watching the Bama 1990 team, with similar key players too. The team was like a car screeching to a halt ready to head in another direction, which is often the case with good coaches. But you could see the building blocks of physical pro style football, not finesse ball emerging.

Notre Dame plays more like a southern team than the Big 10 or ACC.

A lot of great coaches at big time programs hit gold in their 3rd season, but Coach Saban is an extremely rare coach and will deny Coach Kelly and ND.

HartselleTider

Suspended
Jan 11, 2012
I know exactly what he was talking about. Manti Te'o is as good of a linebacker as there's been in college football in a long time. But that's not all.

Their defensive line is made of big, strong, fast, athletic kids they came and recruited from the southeast and Texas, etc. that were heavily recruited by SEC teams. These aren't thick-ankled waist benders from the midwest that typically make up what you see in the Big-10, etc.

Tuitt, Louis Nix, Kapron Lewis-Moore, Shembo, etc. could play for anybody from what I've seen. They understand leverage and have the ability to own the line of scrimmage. That's why they're undefeated in my estimation.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
They play a 2-gap 3-4 with defensive linemen who clog the gaps while the linebackers get all the glory. The stars of their offense is their OL, they rotate generously at tailback, but the QB can make some clutch plays to maintain balance. Personally, I feel like this year's Notre Dame is more like our last two champions than our own team this year. Alabama has a little different mix across the board: defense is good but not great, the offense is a little more pass focused though the SECCG was a turnaround.

No doubting your statement, but to be fair, Kelly actually said last night on ESPN that they want to play ball like Alabama.

Until they play an SEC team and win they "want to" play like an SEC elite team.
And my statement goes back to the fact Notre Dame's team this year is based on the foundation of a sound running game and very good rush defense. I know what Kelly said and means, but those two elements are very much the foundation of most SEC schools.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.