Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Does Bama/ND remind anyone of

Quote Originally Posted by BigEasyTider View Post
    That is going to have to be the key once again. Unless McCarron plays a lot better than he did against LSU, A&M, and UGA, we're going to need another big night from the running game to win.
    BET: Your comments caused me to wonder "What has happened to our use of the tight end, especially some of the 8-10 yard square in patters we have used so much in the past 2-3 years?"

Is the change due to Nuss' philosophy or what?

Also seems Nuss has asked AJ to make some "low percentage" passes in goal line situations like against TAMU and again Saturday against Georgia which resulted in two INTs.

2. Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by BamaMoon View Post
    BET: Your comments caused me to wonder "What has happened to our use of the tight end, especially some of the 8-10 yard square in patters we have used so much in the past 2-3 years?"
    We just don't have a tight end who can exploit those routes as a receiver like Smelley and Dial did. Williams can do good things at times as a receiver, but he needs to be set up by the defense to allow his involvement. He's not going to beat linebackers and DB's in one-on-one match-ups like Smelley and Dial.

Personnel just has such a big influence on scheme design and playcalling. I imagine that once O.J. Howard hits the field next fall, we'll start to see a lot of that stuff coming back.

Quote Originally Posted by Bamabuzzard View Post
    I think anyone dismissing Notre Dame as a team that can't realistically beat us in Miami needs to have their heads examined. They remind me of the Ohio St team that played Miami in the 2001 (maybe 2002) BCS title game. Ohio St's offense looked so easy to stop all year. It was simple, boring as all get out, their wins were ugly, yet they kept winning. Right on through winning the NC.

I hope our guys don't look at their games and focus on they style in which they won but keep focused on the fact they won EVERY GAME. ALL 12 OF THEM!!!!

If we had won the aTm game, this is exactly what the game would remind me of, with us being the Miami juggernaut. I believe the fact we lost a game serves us well right now. I have a hard time imagining a team that went from being called one of the greatest ever to losing 1 game against a freshman QB and nearly losing 2 more games will assume they just have to step off the bus in order to win a title. CNS will keep our guys both hungry and cautious.

Where ever there's BBQ, Crawfish & Football
    My Mood
    Cheerful on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by BigEasyTider View Post
    We just don't have a tight end who can exploit those routes as a receiver like Smelley and Dial did. Williams can do good things at times as a receiver, but he needs to be set up by the defense to allow his involvement. He's not going to beat linebackers and DB's in one-on-one match-ups like Smelley and Dial.

Personnel just has such a big influence on scheme design and playcalling. I imagine that once O.J. Howard hits the field next fall, we'll start to see a lot of that stuff coming back.
    What about the other TE #84? What talents does he bring to the field? I know he looks to be very tall and agile but the only comments from the booth about him is how his run blocking has improved.
    The existence of God isn't determined in the thoughts of man. God exist, no matter what man thinks.

"It cost a lot of money to look this cheap."-Dolly Parton.

"If you ever want to know how good your barbecue is start charging for it"-Myron Mixon

I think the parameters are pretty clear. If ND's front 7 can't stop your two strong running backs for 4 quarters, we lose.
    ND has to make sure tackles, especially in space, and minimize yards after contact.
    Tyler Eifert needs to have a strong day. If he creates a problem for Bama then Wood and especially Riddick will have a chance to get their yards.
    The joker in the deck is Golson. Murray was a sitting duck for your strong pass rush. I expect to see the same rush again but Golson will be able to keep the play alive and also get yards on his own.
    ND has been unbelievably fortunate to win some of its games. But that is not the first time an NC team has been that lucky.
    In the end this is going to be won in the trenches and right now the question mark, at least for me, is if ND can hold up to the pounding that Bama will give for 4 quarters.

There is one thing for certain. This team doesn't know how to lose, it just keeps going and going. I would like to hope that the run continues but we won't know now for 37 days.

As some have said on the ND board..."in order to be the best you have to beat the best". Right now that is Bama. I'm looking forward to many years of back and forth in that regard. We will see....

Quote Originally Posted by pensacolabay View Post
    I think the parameters are pretty clear. If ND's front 7 can't stop your two strong running backs for 4 quarters, we lose.
    ND has to make sure tackles, especially in space, and minimize yards after contact.
    Tyler Eifert needs to have a strong day. If he creates a problem for Bama then Wood and especially Riddick will have a chance to get their yards.
    The joker in the deck is Golson. Murray was a sitting duck for your strong pass rush. I expect to see the same rush again but Golson will be able to keep the play alive and also get yards on his own.
    ND has been unbelievably fortunate to win some of its games. But that is not the first time an NC team has been that lucky.
    In the end this is going to be won in the trenches and right now the question mark, at least for me, is if ND can hold up to the pounding that Bama will give for 4 quarters.

There is one thing for certain. This team doesn't know how to lose, it just keeps going and going. I would like to hope that the run continues but we won't know now for 37 days.

As some have said on the ND board..."in order to be the best you have to beat the best". Right now that is Bama. I'm looking forward to many years of back and forth in that regard. We will see....
    Great analysis. Welcome to our board!

BamaNation All-SEC
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

I wouldn't worry too much about Bama not being focused. We were definitely focused for the game against Georgia. We're just not the 2011 Tide team. That's ok. I think someone earlier said we have more than enough though to win. I think we'll be ready. It would be foolish to overlook any team, especially this Notre Dame team. These guys are the real deal in my book. But, we can do it.
    “That issue has gone under the bridge, under the next bridge, over the next dam and is gone.”
    -CNS

Where ever there's BBQ, Crawfish & Football
    My Mood
    Cheerful on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by pensacolabay View Post

We have no pass rush brother. What you saw Saturday was very subpar (with regards to a pass rush) by Bama's defensive standards. It has been all year. This year's defense is not as good as year's past.
    The existence of God isn't determined in the thoughts of man. God exist, no matter what man thinks.

"It cost a lot of money to look this cheap."-Dolly Parton.

"If you ever want to know how good your barbecue is start charging for it"-Myron Mixon