Does Bama/ND remind anyone of

Rolltide_PA

1st Team
Jul 31, 2011
...Bama/Canes 1992?

Miami came into the game as heavy favorites and were the dominant team in college football after 8 straight years of 10+ wins and defending national champions. They were ranked #1 or #2 every week during that season and played and hammered everyone except a few top-10 teams they played real close (FSU, State Penn, Syracuse). Bama is in their 5th straight year of 10+ wins and were ranked either #1 or #2 for all but one week this year when they were #4. They played a few top 5 teams (LSU, UGA) real close and basically blew everyone else out except aTm of course.

1992 Alabama went unbeaten with great defense...the best defense in college football in the past 20 years other than last year's Tide team. Only 2 teams (Fla in SEC title game, Miss State) scored more than 11 points on them but they won some close ugly games against So Miss, La Tech, UcheaT, Vandy, Auburn while failing to score more than 25 points in any of them.

But they dominated Torretta (the Heisman winner) picking him off 3x and holding Miami to 13 points and ran all over a Miami defense that nobody could run on...think Bama ran for more yards in this game than Miami allowed all year. Miami had a punt return TD so were actually held to 6 offensive points

Defensively, Bama and Miami were #2 and #3 in scoring defense much like ND and Bama are #1 and #2 in scoring defense.

from a numbers perspective the similarities are there although personalities are much different. Miami paraded around yapping their gums every chance they got where the Tide players don't do that at all and Erickson is nowhere near Saban. Of course not sure any team walks around with the swagger of those Canes teams but certainly Alabama keeps things in better perspective.

Probably the only really big difference I see b/w comparing Bama 1992 with Domers 2012 is that Bama were no slouch in 1991. They went 11-1 and only lost at Florida who ended up losing to, ahemm, Notre Dame in their bowl game. Obviously ND weren't all that good last year losing 5 times and beating only one ranked team (Mich St) but just like the 1992 Tide team didn't even crack the top 5 until midseason.

just a few random worries...

MasterGracey

BamaNation Citizen
Jul 24, 2011
Actually, it reminds me of the 2009 game against Texas. All we heard for weeks was how great their rushing defense was.… Then Ingram and Richardson each put up over 100 yards on them.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
If Alabama is playing the part of Miami, then no. Alabama has already proven that they can be beaten. There was a time this season in which this was a concern - before the LSU game, when folks were talking about them beating NFL teams. Now, not so much. The mantra right now is that there are about 5-10 teams this year which could probably beat any other team in college football on any given Saturday.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
I think anyone dismissing Notre Dame as a team that can't realistically beat us in Miami needs to have their heads examined. They remind me of the Ohio St team that played Miami in the 2001 (maybe 2002) BCS title game. Ohio St's offense looked so easy to stop all year. It was simple, boring as all get out, their wins were ugly, yet they kept winning. Right on through winning the NC.

I hope our guys don't look at their games and focus on they style in which they won but keep focused on the fact they won EVERY GAME. ALL 12 OF THEM!!!!

davefrat

Hall of Fame
Jun 4, 2002
Hopewell, VA
...Bama/Canes 1992?

Miami came into the game as heavy favorites and were the dominant team in college football after 8 straight years of 10+ wins and defending national champions. They were ranked #1 or #2 every week during that season and played and hammered everyone except a few top-10 teams they played real close (FSU, State Penn, Syracuse). Bama is in their 5th straight year of 10+ wins and were ranked either #1 or #2 for all but one week this year when they were #4. They played a few top 5 teams (LSU, UGA) real close and basically blew everyone else out except aTm of course.

1992 Alabama went unbeaten with great defense...the best defense in college football in the past 20 years other than last year's Tide team. Only 2 teams (Fla in SEC title game, Miss State) scored more than 11 points on them but they won some close ugly games against So Miss, La Tech, UcheaT, Vandy, Auburn while failing to score more than 25 points in any of them.

But they dominated Torretta (the Heisman winner) picking him off 3x and holding Miami to 13 points and ran all over a Miami defense that nobody could run on...think Bama ran for more yards in this game than Miami allowed all year. Miami had a punt return TD so were actually held to 6 offensive points

Defensively, Bama and Miami were #2 and #3 in scoring defense much like ND and Bama are #1 and #2 in scoring defense.

from a numbers perspective the similarities are there although personalities are much different. Miami paraded around yapping their gums every chance they got where the Tide players don't do that at all and Erickson is nowhere near Saban. Of course not sure any team walks around with the swagger of those Canes teams but certainly Alabama keeps things in better perspective.

Probably the only really big difference I see b/w comparing Bama 1992 with Domers 2012 is that Bama were no slouch in 1991. They went 11-1 and only lost at Florida who ended up losing to, ahemm, Notre Dame in their bowl game. Obviously ND weren't all that good last year losing 5 times and beating only one ranked team (Mich St) but just like the 1992 Tide team didn't even crack the top 5 until midseason.

just a few random worries...
THE difference is that miami was a team of out of control thugs...alabama is a team of disciplined young gentlemen.

WalkaboutSean

1st Team
Nov 23, 2010
I see the analogy. It feels like the national media is setting us up for a big fall. The worst thing we (or by extension our team) could do would be to discount Notre Dame's team. Overconfidence will get you beat.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
What made that '92 Sugar Bowl a blowout in our favor was Miami's attitude. They literally thought all they had to do was walk into the Super Dome and Alabama would bow down and yield to defeat. Had Miami approached that game with discipline and focus and respect, it would have been a 4 quarter battle and would have gone either way.

Alabama 2012 is no Miami 1992. Not even close. I do think Notre Dame is more of the mold of the Ohio State teams of the Jim Tressel era. Boring as all get out, but they are disciplined and talented.

It will be a 4 quarter war. Period. I just hope we're able to execute. To me, execution (or lack thereof) is what made the LSU, Texas A&M, and Georgia games such heart stoppers. If we simple execute in those games, it's a different story. But, that's part of being a great team. And Alabama is really not a "great" team this season. But they are certainly more than good enough. Notre Dame will bring a lot of emotional intensity into this game. I can't wait.

CRMSNtide

1st Team
Jul 4, 2011
The big difference is that Miami team in that era, was the ultimate, "look at me", big talking and thugish type team with a quirky head coach that wont be remembered as a one of the greats like Saban.

Saban will make sure they respect ND, it's part of the process.

chuxlee

3rd Team
Dec 6, 2008
I actually said that this ND team reminded me alot of our 92 team in a earlier post last week, really good defense and just enough offense to win. Should be a good game, but you give Saban 30 days to scheme and I like our chances.

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007
Actually, it reminds me of the 2009 game against Texas. All we heard for weeks was how great their rushing defense was.… Then Ingram and Richardson each put up over 100 yards on them.
That is going to have to be the key once again. Unless McCarron plays a lot better than he did against LSU, A&M, and UGA, we're going to need another big night from the running game to win.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
That is going to have to be the key once again. Unless McCarron plays a lot better than he did against LSU, A&M, and UGA, we're going to need another big night from the running game to win.
BET: Your comments caused me to wonder "What has happened to our use of the tight end, especially some of the 8-10 yard square in patters we have used so much in the past 2-3 years?"

Is the change due to Nuss' philosophy or what?

Also seems Nuss has asked AJ to make some "low percentage" passes in goal line situations like against TAMU and again Saturday against Georgia which resulted in two INTs.

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007
BET: Your comments caused me to wonder "What has happened to our use of the tight end, especially some of the 8-10 yard square in patters we have used so much in the past 2-3 years?"
We just don't have a tight end who can exploit those routes as a receiver like Smelley and Dial did. Williams can do good things at times as a receiver, but he needs to be set up by the defense to allow his involvement. He's not going to beat linebackers and DB's in one-on-one match-ups like Smelley and Dial.

Personnel just has such a big influence on scheme design and playcalling. I imagine that once O.J. Howard hits the field next fall, we'll start to see a lot of that stuff coming back.

DocCrimson

All-SEC
Jan 3, 2010
East TN
I think anyone dismissing Notre Dame as a team that can't realistically beat us in Miami needs to have their heads examined. They remind me of the Ohio St team that played Miami in the 2001 (maybe 2002) BCS title game. Ohio St's offense looked so easy to stop all year. It was simple, boring as all get out, their wins were ugly, yet they kept winning. Right on through winning the NC.

I hope our guys don't look at their games and focus on they style in which they won but keep focused on the fact they won EVERY GAME. ALL 12 OF THEM!!!!

If we had won the aTm game, this is exactly what the game would remind me of, with us being the Miami juggernaut. I believe the fact we lost a game serves us well right now. I have a hard time imagining a team that went from being called one of the greatest ever to losing 1 game against a freshman QB and nearly losing 2 more games will assume they just have to step off the bus in order to win a title. CNS will keep our guys both hungry and cautious.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
We just don't have a tight end who can exploit those routes as a receiver like Smelley and Dial did. Williams can do good things at times as a receiver, but he needs to be set up by the defense to allow his involvement. He's not going to beat linebackers and DB's in one-on-one match-ups like Smelley and Dial.

Personnel just has such a big influence on scheme design and playcalling. I imagine that once O.J. Howard hits the field next fall, we'll start to see a lot of that stuff coming back.
What about the other TE #84? What talents does he bring to the field? I know he looks to be very tall and agile but the only comments from the booth about him is how his run blocking has improved.

pensacolabay

Nov 29, 2012
Atlanta
I think the parameters are pretty clear. If ND's front 7 can't stop your two strong running backs for 4 quarters, we lose.
ND has to make sure tackles, especially in space, and minimize yards after contact.
Tyler Eifert needs to have a strong day. If he creates a problem for Bama then Wood and especially Riddick will have a chance to get their yards.
The joker in the deck is Golson. Murray was a sitting duck for your strong pass rush. I expect to see the same rush again but Golson will be able to keep the play alive and also get yards on his own.
ND has been unbelievably fortunate to win some of its games. But that is not the first time an NC team has been that lucky.
In the end this is going to be won in the trenches and right now the question mark, at least for me, is if ND can hold up to the pounding that Bama will give for 4 quarters.

There is one thing for certain. This team doesn't know how to lose, it just keeps going and going. I would like to hope that the run continues but we won't know now for 37 days.

As some have said on the ND board..."in order to be the best you have to beat the best". Right now that is Bama. I'm looking forward to many years of back and forth in that regard. We will see....

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I think the parameters are pretty clear. If ND's front 7 can't stop your two strong running backs for 4 quarters, we lose.
ND has to make sure tackles, especially in space, and minimize yards after contact.
Tyler Eifert needs to have a strong day. If he creates a problem for Bama then Wood and especially Riddick will have a chance to get their yards.
The joker in the deck is Golson. Murray was a sitting duck for your strong pass rush. I expect to see the same rush again but Golson will be able to keep the play alive and also get yards on his own.
ND has been unbelievably fortunate to win some of its games. But that is not the first time an NC team has been that lucky.
In the end this is going to be won in the trenches and right now the question mark, at least for me, is if ND can hold up to the pounding that Bama will give for 4 quarters.

There is one thing for certain. This team doesn't know how to lose, it just keeps going and going. I would like to hope that the run continues but we won't know now for 37 days.

As some have said on the ND board..."in order to be the best you have to beat the best". Right now that is Bama. I'm looking forward to many years of back and forth in that regard. We will see....
Great analysis. Welcome to our board!

theballguy

Hall of Fame
Nov 5, 2012
Roll Tide Roll, Colorado USA
I wouldn't worry too much about Bama not being focused. We were definitely focused for the game against Georgia. We're just not the 2011 Tide team. That's ok. I think someone earlier said we have more than enough though to win. I think we'll be ready. It would be foolish to overlook any team, especially this Notre Dame team. These guys are the real deal in my book. But, we can do it.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.