Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    BamaNation Hall of Fame
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Re: Have Bama players value been inflated in these past few drafts? Good and Bad.

I totally forgot about Ingram. I think his biggest problem is that the Saints are deep at tailback and kind of more of pass-focused team. Personally, Ingram is probably the least talented of the three guys on the '09 team (Ingram, Richardson, Lacy).

2. Advertisement
    Suspended
    My Mood
    Relaxed on TideFans.com

Re: Have Bama players value been inflated in these past few drafts? Good and Bad.

Quote Originally Posted by rgw View Post
    I totally forgot about Ingram. I think his biggest problem is that the Saints are deep at tailback and kind of more of pass-focused team. Personally, Ingram is probably the least talented of the three guys on the '09 team (Ingram, Richardson, Lacy).
    JessN had Mark listed in the bottom third of his recruiting round up 2008, well behind Ivan Matchett, closer to Wesley Neighbors than our top recruits, seriously. Mark was a huge overachiever at Bama and definitely picked the right school.Mark needs to be on another NFL team, I agree

I thought was a little over valued in the draft. His performance level dipped by 50% in 2010. Was it an injury, the line or fatigue? Most were saying that Trent was the better of the two even during his Heisman year. During his last year, he would take an additional hop step before cutting ofF his left leg that he didn't do the season before. I remember he had knee surgery and he never looked the same to me.

Last edited by CapstoneTider; December 3rd, 2012 at 12:07 PM.

BamaNation First Team Stonewall1959's Avatar
    My Mood
    BamaVictory on TideFans.com

What's up with Terrance Cody? Isn't he still with the Ravens?

Suspended
    My Mood
    Relaxed on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by Stonewall1959 View Post
    What's up with Terrance Cody? Isn't he still with the Ravens?
    I believe someone beat him out and he's a specialty player now.

BamaNation All-American

I think Marcell Dareus is doing pretty well.

Suspended
    My Mood
    Relaxed on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by JeffAtlanta View Post
    I think Marcell Dareus is doing pretty well.
    I believe UPSHAW will eventually start in NE

BamaNation All-American

Quote Originally Posted by CapstoneTider View Post
    Have Bama players value been inflated in these past few drafts? Good and Bad. Good because it helps in recruiting and makes players dreams come true, bad, it can be a nightmare balancing recruiting with who might leave early. Example, AJ leaving early would leave a big gap that would not exist the following year.

My observations suggest to me that synergy with other players, the coach Saban factor, and coach Smart on the sidelines has inflated the value of many drafts picks the last 3 years, and that a few underclassman would have been better off with another year. I am not trying to be critical, my main point is that the early exodus of Juniors being inflated has hurt the team. Imagine our defense with Donta' and Kilpatrick this year, instead we were the No Name defense (who kicked butt)? The suggestions of AJ leaving early seemed a little over the top to me, and I now believe he will stay. He needs another year for his development! Donta' and Dre' may be the exception though.

It is well known that it is harder for a player on a losing team to get the attention of those on a dominating team, and I believe this is what helped with some of the inflation. I am only suggesting that some players were either overrated, or where rated too high too soon. Or best linebacker in the NFL is still one from the Fran-Shula era and was vastly underrated in Demarco Ryans.....a second round pick with 2 pro bowls. No doubt he would have been a top 5 pick on a coach Saban team.

My predictions is that we will not see nearly as many early departures as we have the past 3 years. Before coach Saban we had maybe 5 players leave early total. Seems like Chris Samuels, Dwayne Rudd, Saleem Rasheed and maybe 2 more. But very rare.

This is not a knock on coach saban but a compliment for getting the most out of his players and maybe making them appear better through synergy than individuals.

Just my opinion. We should start seeing less juniors leave early in the 2nd half of the Coach era.

it all depends on their NFL draft status...
    if they project as 1st rounders in the NFLdraft, you'll see exactly the same number of juniors leaving...

and, if they're first rounders, they would be smart to go...
    their risk of injury outweights any potential increase in their draft status if they project in the 1st round...

just simple economics at work..

BamaNation First Team crmsntd91's Avatar
    My Mood
    BamaVictory on TideFans.com

He wasn't beat out, just stuck behind Ngata. Ngata is a future HOFer, Cody is just stuck behind a great DT, its that simple. When Ngata goes out, Cody comes in and does what is asked of him with efficiency.

I believe someone beat him out and he's a specialty player now.
    "We have an opponent in this state that we work every day, 365 days a year, to dominate."

My Mood
    Relaxed on TideFans.com

I think Kareem Jackson has really stepped it up this year. He caught some flack early on with the Texans and rightly so. But he has shown quite a bit of improvement this season. Cornerback is one of the hardest positions in all of football to play and especially in the NFL so I think it just took him some time and work to get it. This season he has 34 tackles and 4 INTs so far. Every game I've watched the Texans play he has looked solid. I believe Dre will be able to turn the corner, but he will need more time, experience and just needs to stay healthy to get that.

Suspended
    My Mood
    Relaxed on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by bamafaninOhiO View Post
    it all depends on their NFL draft status...
    if they project as 1st rounders in the NFLdraft, you'll see exactly the same number of juniors leaving...

and, if they're first rounders, they would be smart to go...
    their risk of injury outweights any potential increase in their draft status if they project in the 1st round...

just simple economics at work..
    That is not the subject . You must have glanced at the title and the bold type? It's a good thread!
    Last edited by CapstoneTider; December 3rd, 2012 at 04:48 PM.

BamaNation All-American

That is not the subject . You must have glanced at the title and the bold type? It's a good thread!
    probably...im trying to chime in at work, so sometimes i try and respond without reading all the thread...
    sorry if i was off topic...

BamaNation All-American

Quote Originally Posted by rickvox79 View Post
    I think Kareem Jackson has really stepped it up this year. He caught some flack early on with the Texans and rightly so. But he has shown quite a bit of improvement this season. Cornerback is one of the hardest positions in all of football to play and especially in the NFL so I think it just took him some time and work to get it. This season he has 34 tackles and 4 INTs so far. Every game I've watched the Texans play he has looked solid. I believe Dre will be able to turn the corner, but he will need more time, experience and just needs to stay healthy to get that.
    Kareem Jackson is playing pretty well for the texans...he started slow, but hes becoming a pretty solid CB for them this season.

Suspended
    My Mood
    Relaxed on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by bamafaninOhiO View Post
    Kareem Jackson is playing pretty well for the texans...he started slow, but hes becoming a pretty solid CB for them this season.
    Yeah, and he was not expected to be drafted early initially.

My main theme was that I believe a few of the players might have been better off in the long run coming back, but synergy and good coaching resulted in hype that may have over valued players.