Recipes
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Nico Johnson & CJ Mosley Relationship

When I watch any sport, I very rarely follow the ball. This can be a tough task when that's pretty much what the camera follows.

However, when you look away from the ball, you notice a lot of other things. For example, Fluker's burst of emotion toward his offensive teammates on Saturday was not his first this season. Multiple times this year when we've been up by at least 30, and sometimes even after we had just scored, Fluker could be seen encouraging his linemen to keep mashing and dominating our opponents.

One other such thing that I kept an eye on early on in the season was how Nico Johnson (a starter on two national championship teams and basically a starter since day one) and CJ Mosley (probably a better player in terms of tackling and covering) would co-exist. Both alpha males and leaders of the defense in their own respective rights. Very rarely were they on the field at the same time this year because of different packages. And one (well, I) wondered how they could co-exist without bumping heads. On one play early on in the season (maybe against Michigan) they were on the field together and we had a busted assignment. They could be seen after the play jawing back & forth at one another. They later shook hands. Still, I wondered if this town was big enough for the both of them.

But as the season progressed they could be seen on the sideline helping each other out, etc.

And on Saturday when CJ Mosley made the game saving tipped pass, almost before the ball even hit the receivers hands, the first person on the field to embrace Mosley and congratulate him was Nico Johnson.

It was pretty cool to see that relationship evolve over the season.
    Last edited by WMack4Bama; December 3rd, 2012 at 11:27 AM.
    "I didn't come to Alabama to win 10 games a year and be a contender. I came here to win championships. Conference championships and national championships. I love it here because that's just not what I want, but what this fanbase expects."
    --Alabama Head Football Coach, Nick Saban

“Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on it’s ability to climb a tree, it will spend it’s whole life believing it is stupid.” — Albert Einstein

2. Advertisement

Re: Nico Johnson & CJ Mosley Relationship

They are both great kids and deserving of every accolade they have/will receive. (Of course, being from Andalusia, I have wanted Nico to develop into a passing threat as well as a running threat...but realize that CJ is more well-rounded.)
    I must admit that I wondered the same about Mark and Trent, Trent and Eddie and Eddie and T.J. I think after awhile the egos go away and they realize that whatever is best for the team is what needs to be done. I love our team! ROLL TIDE!

BamaNation All-SEC
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by WMack4Bama View Post
    When I watch any sport, I very rarely follow the ball. This can be a tough task when that's pretty much what the camera follows.

However, when you look away from the ball, you notice a lot of other things. For example, Fluker's burst of emotion toward his offensive teammates on Saturday was not his first this season. Multiple times this year when we've been up by at least 30, and sometimes even after we had just scored, Fluker could be seen encouraging his linemen to keep mashing and dominating our opponents.

One other such thing that I kept an eye on early on in the season was how Nico Johnson (a starter on two national championship teams and basically a starter since day one) and CJ Mosley (probably a better player in terms of tackling and covering) would co-exist. Both alpha males and leaders of the defense in their own respective rights. Very rarely were they on the field at the same time this year because of different packages. And one (well, I) wondered how they could co-exist without bumping heads. On one play early on in the season (maybe against Michigan) they were on the field together and we had a busted assignment. They could be seen after the play jawing back & forth at one another. They later shook hands. Still, I wondered if this town was big enough for the both of them.

But as the season progressed they could be seen on the sideline helping each other out, etc.

And on Saturday when CJ Mosley made the game saving tipped pass, almost before the ball even hit the receivers hands, the first person on the field to embrace Mosley and congratulate him was Nico Johnson.

It was pretty cool to see that relationship evolve over the season.
    Fluker has seriously improved since day 1. The dude is a beast! I don't think Nico and CJ will ever get credit like McClain and Hightower got but they're doing a great job in my opinion. I think we get used to seeing guys like McClain, Hightower and Upshaw just take over games and when someone isn't dominating exactly like they were, we don't give them enough credit. Nico and CJ definitely deserve an appreciation thread. RTR!!!
    “That issue has gone under the bridge, under the next bridge, over the next dam and is gone.”
    -CNS

I do the same thing when I watch the game on replay. I love looking at the "background" stuff, whether it is the sideline reactions.etc.

One of the emotional bursts from Fluker on saturday resulted in the next HUGE run by Lacy. He was definitely helping pump up our oline.
    Roll Tide

Good points all. Thanks for giving credit to very deserving players.
    "There are two pains in life. There is the pain of discipline and the pain of disappointment. If you can handle the pain of discipline, then you'll never have to deal with the pain of disappointment."-Nick Saban

My Mood
    Happy on TideFans.com

Great thread / post, Mack -

You've provided insight into one of the undoubtedly many sub-plots which a less-football-savvy fan such as myself would never pick up on...

BamaNation Hall of Fame Alasippi's Avatar

I wish Nico could play more. I think he's outstanding. Depriest has a ton of promise obviously but I honestly haven't heard his name called that much for making tackles this season. Seems when Nico's in the game he always seems to be right on top of the play.

Mack, you're not the only one not watching the ball. The refs missed Eddies first TD and called it a fumble.

Nico Johnson & CJ Mosley Relationship

Quote Originally Posted by 257WBY View Post
    Mack, you're not the only one not watching the ball. The refs missed Eddies first TD and called it a fumble.
    I didn't think it was a TD, even with the photo posted in another thread here. It's not at an angle that the official is standing and unless my depth perception is off, it wasn't a score. But we still won the game. That's all that matters in the end
    "I didn't come to Alabama to win 10 games a year and be a contender. I came here to win championships. Conference championships and national championships. I love it here because that's just not what I want, but what this fanbase expects."

“Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on it’s ability to climb a tree, it will spend it’s whole life believing it is stupid.” — Albert Einstein

BamaNation All-American bamaslammer's Avatar

Mosley has been injured several times in the last two years and when filling in full time Nico was outstanding in coverage as well. Mosley might be freakishly good at coverage, but I believe Nico will end up in the NFL. I think both guys are going to find a place in the league.
    BS 1989

BamaNation All-SEC

Quote Originally Posted by WMack4Bama View Post
    I didn't think it was a TD, even with the photo posted in another thread here. It's not at an angle that the official is standing and unless my depth perception is off, it wasn't a score. But we still won the game. That's all that matters in the end
    I agree with you...but this thread isnt about that...it was about how two great players developed great relaitionship on the team..

a very positive thread...lets try and keep it positive...

BTW...the UGA game is over and we won.

Quote Originally Posted by bamafaninOhiO View Post
    I agree with you...but this thread isnt about that...it was about how two great players developed great relaitionship on the team..

a very positive thread...lets try and keep it positive...

BTW...the UGA game is over and we won.