BamaNation Second Team Born2Roll's Avatar
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Bama WRs vs. Notre Dame DBs Discussion

How do our WRs match up against the Notre Dame secondary? They seemed to do decent job against the USCw receivers. Does anyone have any insight on this (one-on-one matchups, defensive schemes, etc.)?

ROLL TIDE!
    "There's a lot of blood, sweat, and guts between dreams and success." -- Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation Hall of Fame
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Re: Bama WRs vs. Notre Dame DBs Discussion

I felt like if Barkley had played, USC could have been more aggressive with their passing game. With Wittek starting, they tried to be more possession-based in their passing rather than attacking. ND's DBs are their relative weakness but they do tackle well in space. They get burned some but they don't allow things like screens or short hooks and slants to turn into big yardage.

I feel like they are more like the secondary of our better defenses ('09 and '11). People overrate the occasional coverage bust they have in an always shifting and checking 3-4 scheme while underrating their overall good play. They give up more yards than us - nearing 200 yards - but they are similarly stout in terms of passing efficiency defense which gives credence to how I've seen them play. Their relative weakness isn't that much of a weakness...we aren't likely to throw short passes that WRs can turn into big gain. They force you to put the ball in the air a good distance to get chunk passing yards which is always the least efficient way to operate as a passing offense. As an offense, you love it when your QB can throw it 5-10 yards and the receivers do the rest for 20+ yard play.

BamaNation Hall of Fame uafan4life's Avatar
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

To be fair, they didn't have to do much against the USCw receivers. First, they were playing against Freshman, backup Quarterback making his first college start. Second, and probably more importantly, USCw was working with a patch-work Offensive Line. Since the Defensive Line is one of the Irish's biggest strengths, both the USCw and Notre Dame coaching staffs knew that the Trojans wouldn't have much time to throw.

Add all that up and you get a much more run-heavy game-plan by USCw than the Trojans are used to running as well as a much easier job for the Irish Secondary.
    I have yet to figure out why common sense and common courtesy are called common.
    - Unknown

I have never understood why it is "greed" to want to keep the money you've earned but not greed to want to take somebody else's money.
    - Thomas Sowell

BamaNation First Team crmsntd91's Avatar
    My Mood
    BamaVictory on TideFans.com

As inaccurate as AJ has been of late on the short throws, he has been incredibly accurate on his deep throws.

I honestly see us running the ball right down Notre Dame's throat. If Pitt could do it, we will most definately do it.

The only thing that worries me is Goldson chunking up prayers for Eifert to go answer.
    "We have an opponent in this state that we work every day, 365 days a year, to dominate."

My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

I think I saw about 4 PI calls against ND in the few minutes of the USC game I watched. As of now, I'm not sure Bama will do anything different: run, run, run, run, run, PA deep to Coop.
    "I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    Coach Bryant

Rasuputin's response to my question "What benefit do tablets provide students?"
    (In an old southern trailer park redneck beer in hand marlboro light in other and camoflauge cutoff shorts man's voice) If a tablet was good enough for Moses and the 10 Commandments then by god they are good enough for my children in school today!!!!!!!

Where ever there's BBQ, Crawfish & Football
    My Mood
    Cheerful on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by RTR91 View Post
    I think I saw about 4 PI calls against ND in the few minutes of the USC game I watched. As of now, I'm not sure Bama will do anything different: run, run, run, run, run, PA deep to Coop.
    With 5 weeks of rest I would pound the ball until ND showed they could consistently stop it.
    The existence of God isn't determined in the thoughts of man. God exist, no matter what man thinks.

"It cost a lot of money to look this cheap."-Dolly Parton.

"If you ever want to know how good your barbecue is start charging for it"-Myron Mixon

My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by Bamabuzzard View Post
    With 5 weeks of rest I would pound the ball until ND showed they could consistently stop it.
    Shh... Our Irish guests will come tell you that they'll stop it right away.
    "I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    Coach Bryant

Rasuputin's response to my question "What benefit do tablets provide students?"
    (In an old southern trailer park redneck beer in hand marlboro light in other and camoflauge cutoff shorts man's voice) If a tablet was good enough for Moses and the 10 Commandments then by god they are good enough for my children in school today!!!!!!!

Suspended

The speed in the Midwest just doesn't match up. I realize that ND recruits nationally, but they will be shocked by SEC speed.