Bama WRs vs. Notre Dame DBs Discussion

Born2Roll

3rd Team
Oct 8, 2004
Tallahassee, FL
How do our WRs match up against the Notre Dame secondary? They seemed to do decent job against the USCw receivers. Does anyone have any insight on this (one-on-one matchups, defensive schemes, etc.)?

ROLL TIDE!

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I felt like if Barkley had played, USC could have been more aggressive with their passing game. With Wittek starting, they tried to be more possession-based in their passing rather than attacking. ND's DBs are their relative weakness but they do tackle well in space. They get burned some but they don't allow things like screens or short hooks and slants to turn into big yardage.

I feel like they are more like the secondary of our better defenses ('09 and '11). People overrate the occasional coverage bust they have in an always shifting and checking 3-4 scheme while underrating their overall good play. They give up more yards than us - nearing 200 yards - but they are similarly stout in terms of passing efficiency defense which gives credence to how I've seen them play. Their relative weakness isn't that much of a weakness...we aren't likely to throw short passes that WRs can turn into big gain. They force you to put the ball in the air a good distance to get chunk passing yards which is always the least efficient way to operate as a passing offense. As an offense, you love it when your QB can throw it 5-10 yards and the receivers do the rest for 20+ yard play.

uafan4life

Hall of Fame
Mar 30, 2001
Florence, AL
To be fair, they didn't have to do much against the USCw receivers. First, they were playing against Freshman, backup Quarterback making his first college start. Second, and probably more importantly, USCw was working with a patch-work Offensive Line. Since the Defensive Line is one of the Irish's biggest strengths, both the USCw and Notre Dame coaching staffs knew that the Trojans wouldn't have much time to throw.

Add all that up and you get a much more run-heavy game-plan by USCw than the Trojans are used to running as well as a much easier job for the Irish Secondary.

crmsntd91

1st Team
Sep 30, 2010
As inaccurate as AJ has been of late on the short throws, he has been incredibly accurate on his deep throws.

I honestly see us running the ball right down Notre Dame's throat. If Pitt could do it, we will most definately do it.

The only thing that worries me is Goldson chunking up prayers for Eifert to go answer.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I think I saw about 4 PI calls against ND in the few minutes of the USC game I watched. As of now, I'm not sure Bama will do anything different: run, run, run, run, run, PA deep to Coop.

257WBY

Suspended
Aug 20, 2011
The speed in the Midwest just doesn't match up. I realize that ND recruits nationally, but they will be shocked by SEC speed.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.