Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    BamaNation Hall of Fame deliveryman35's Avatar
    My Mood
    BamaVictory on TideFans.com

Strength of Schedule

Do any of you have any links to reputable sites that have CURRENT strength of schedule figures for D-1 football teams?
    "Football is a hard game. These spread coaches forget that. Until good defenses remind them." Gene Stallings

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation Hall of Fame B1GTide's Avatar
    My Mood
    Relaxed on TideFans.com

Re: Strength of Schedule

Sagarin has Bama at 35. ND at 30 - http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sports/sagarin/fbt12.htm

My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Dawgs are 41

My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Northern Illinois.......127

Then our bowl opponent Louisville.....89 - Florida at 16

Unbelievable.

BamaNation All-American Bad Pony's Avatar
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

blah....I can't see ND's schedule being anywhere near that tough...

BamaNation Hall of Fame B1GTide's Avatar
    My Mood
    Relaxed on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Pony View Post
    Every formula out there has ND's schedule rated in the top third in the country. Math can be biased by the person creating the formulas, but every formula can't be biased in their favor.

BamaNation All-American Bad Pony's Avatar
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by B1GTide View Post
    Every formula out there has ND's schedule rated in the top third in the country. Math can be biased by the person creating the formulas, but every formula can't be biased in their favor.
    Sure they can...it's ND afterall..

My Mood
    Paranoid on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Pony View Post
    It was a very touch schedule. They had a lot of high profile football programs. But, it was bolstered by the fact that they exclusively played BCS conference teams. They played some real cupcakes, but SoS is like RPI a bit in that just playing tougher competition can make you higher rated on paper. So, a lot of Alabama's SoS leaked away when they played Western Carolina for instance, although of course that didn't actually make the rest of the schedule any easier.

Notre Dame's schedule had breathers and no way was it as physical as an SEC schedule, but, they played Michigan St, Michigan, Miami, BYU, Oklahoma, and USC. You have to respect any team that beats all of those programs.

BamaNation All-American BAMA1979's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by KrAzY3 View Post
    It was a very touch schedule. They had a lot of high profile football programs. But, it was bolstered by the fact that they exclusively played BCS conference teams. They played some real cupcakes, but SoS is like RPI a bit in that just playing tougher competition can make you higher rated on paper. So, a lot of Alabama's SoS leaked away when they played Western Carolina for instance, although of course that didn't actually make the rest of the schedule any easier.

Notre Dame's schedule had breathers and no way was it as physical as an SEC schedule, but, they played Michigan St, Michigan, Miami, BYU, Oklahoma, and USC. You have to respect any team that beats all of those programs.
    Check the results of the teams you just named. VERY average results except for Oklahoma. Miami, BYU, and Michigan State are not good football teams. They are Western Kentucky with better reputations.

BamaNation First Team

Quote Originally Posted by B1GTide View Post
    I think that's a reasonable ranking. As a SEC homer I think Bama's was harder, but when you compare the two from nothing but a W/L and opponent's ranking perspective then they've played a very similar schedule.

In the end, I don't care. Just take care of business in the next game and render the whole discussion moot.

BamaNation All-American

Quote Originally Posted by BAMA1979 View Post
    Check the results of the teams you just named. VERY average results except for Oklahoma. Miami, BYU, and Michigan State are not good football teams. They are Western Kentucky with better reputations.
    they may not be the cream of the D-1 crop, but they are better than western kentucky any way you want to slice and dice it.

The strength of schedule method used by some people that just totals up the wins and losses of the opponents is bogus.

This is hypothetical, but do you think it would be more difficult to go undefeated against a schedule with 12 teams with 6-6 records, or would it be more difficult against a schedule with six 0-12 teams and six 12-0 teams? Some strength of schedule formulas out there would call those schedules equal in terms of difficulty because the number of wins and losses is equal. To me it's not even close with the latter being far more difficult if the goal is to win all of the games.

Quote Originally Posted by bamafaninOhiO View Post
    they may not be the cream of the D-1 crop, but they are better than western kentucky any way you want to slice and dice it.
    I have a feeling WKU against those teams would be a lot closer than you think. Have you watched those teams play and looked at who they have beaten? They bring a big name to the table and that is all.