Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 13 of 52
  1. #1
    BamaNation Hall of Fame deliveryman35's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Gadsden, AL
    Posts
    8,410
    My Mood
    BamaVictory on TideFans.com

    Strength of Schedule

    Do any of you have any links to reputable sites that have CURRENT strength of schedule figures for D-1 football teams?
    "Football is a hard game. These spread coaches forget that. Until good defenses remind them." Gene Stallings

  2. Advertisement
  3. #2
    BamaNation Hall of Fame B1GTide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    5,302
    My Mood
    Relaxed on TideFans.com

    Re: Strength of Schedule

    Sagarin has Bama at 35. ND at 30 - http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sports/sagarin/fbt12.htm

  4. #3
    BamaNation Hall of Fame Bazza's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    New Smyrna Beach, Florida
    Posts
    5,064
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

    Re: Strength of Schedule

    Dawgs are 41

  5. #4
    BamaNation Hall of Fame Bazza's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    New Smyrna Beach, Florida
    Posts
    5,064
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

    Re: Strength of Schedule

    Northern Illinois.......127

    Then our bowl opponent Louisville.....89 - Florida at 16

    Unbelievable.

  6. #5
    BamaNation All-American Bad Pony's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 1999
    Location
    Pelham
    Posts
    2,759
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

    Re: Strength of Schedule

    blah....I can't see ND's schedule being anywhere near that tough...

  7. #6
    BamaNation Hall of Fame B1GTide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    5,302
    My Mood
    Relaxed on TideFans.com

    Re: Strength of Schedule

    Quote Originally Posted by Bad Pony View Post
    blah....I can't see ND's schedule being anywhere near that tough...
    Every formula out there has ND's schedule rated in the top third in the country. Math can be biased by the person creating the formulas, but every formula can't be biased in their favor.

  8. #7
    BamaNation All-American Bad Pony's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 1999
    Location
    Pelham
    Posts
    2,759
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

    Re: Strength of Schedule

    Quote Originally Posted by B1GTide View Post
    Every formula out there has ND's schedule rated in the top third in the country. Math can be biased by the person creating the formulas, but every formula can't be biased in their favor.
    Sure they can...it's ND afterall..

  9. #8
    BamaNation All-American KrAzY3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    4,657
    My Mood
    Paranoid on TideFans.com

    Re: Strength of Schedule

    Quote Originally Posted by Bad Pony View Post
    blah....I can't see ND's schedule being anywhere near that tough...
    It was a very touch schedule. They had a lot of high profile football programs. But, it was bolstered by the fact that they exclusively played BCS conference teams. They played some real cupcakes, but SoS is like RPI a bit in that just playing tougher competition can make you higher rated on paper. So, a lot of Alabama's SoS leaked away when they played Western Carolina for instance, although of course that didn't actually make the rest of the schedule any easier.

    Notre Dame's schedule had breathers and no way was it as physical as an SEC schedule, but, they played Michigan St, Michigan, Miami, BYU, Oklahoma, and USC. You have to respect any team that beats all of those programs.

  10. #9
    BamaNation All-American BAMA1979's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Mobile
    Posts
    4,269
    Quote Originally Posted by KrAzY3 View Post
    It was a very touch schedule. They had a lot of high profile football programs. But, it was bolstered by the fact that they exclusively played BCS conference teams. They played some real cupcakes, but SoS is like RPI a bit in that just playing tougher competition can make you higher rated on paper. So, a lot of Alabama's SoS leaked away when they played Western Carolina for instance, although of course that didn't actually make the rest of the schedule any easier.

    Notre Dame's schedule had breathers and no way was it as physical as an SEC schedule, but, they played Michigan St, Michigan, Miami, BYU, Oklahoma, and USC. You have to respect any team that beats all of those programs.
    Check the results of the teams you just named. VERY average results except for Oklahoma. Miami, BYU, and Michigan State are not good football teams. They are Western Kentucky with better reputations.

  11. #10
    BamaNation First Team
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    443

    Re: Strength of Schedule

    Quote Originally Posted by B1GTide View Post
    I think that's a reasonable ranking. As a SEC homer I think Bama's was harder, but when you compare the two from nothing but a W/L and opponent's ranking perspective then they've played a very similar schedule.

    In the end, I don't care. Just take care of business in the next game and render the whole discussion moot.

  12. #11
    BamaNation All-American
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Dayton, Ohio
    Posts
    2,035

    Re: Strength of Schedule

    Quote Originally Posted by BAMA1979 View Post
    Check the results of the teams you just named. VERY average results except for Oklahoma. Miami, BYU, and Michigan State are not good football teams. They are Western Kentucky with better reputations.
    they may not be the cream of the D-1 crop, but they are better than western kentucky any way you want to slice and dice it.

  13. #12
    BamaNation All-American BAMA1979's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Mobile
    Posts
    4,269

    Re: Strength of Schedule

    The strength of schedule method used by some people that just totals up the wins and losses of the opponents is bogus.

    This is hypothetical, but do you think it would be more difficult to go undefeated against a schedule with 12 teams with 6-6 records, or would it be more difficult against a schedule with six 0-12 teams and six 12-0 teams? Some strength of schedule formulas out there would call those schedules equal in terms of difficulty because the number of wins and losses is equal. To me it's not even close with the latter being far more difficult if the goal is to win all of the games.

  14. #13
    BamaNation All-American BAMA1979's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Mobile
    Posts
    4,269

    Re: Strength of Schedule

    Quote Originally Posted by bamafaninOhiO View Post
    they may not be the cream of the D-1 crop, but they are better than western kentucky any way you want to slice and dice it.
    I have a feeling WKU against those teams would be a lot closer than you think. Have you watched those teams play and looked at who they have beaten? They bring a big name to the table and that is all.

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
'Gear UP! Get your University of Alabama Crimson Tide National Championship & Football Dynasty Gear!