Strength of Schedule

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
how can you say they played a high SOS? I'm not saying they shouldn't have been in the BCSCG and I'm not dissing Bama for sure. I'm just saying their SOS, in reality, wasn't that great. IMO Bama played a much tougher schedule.
Because I understand numbers? Alabama played Western Carolina, Florida Atlantic and, Western Kentucky. You can't rate a schedule based on the inferior teams.

According to Sagarin (which is really quite reliable) here is the SoS:
Alabama 19
Notre Dame 21

The whole only "decent" team they played stuff is just ridiculous. Michigan wasn't decent? You really can't go too far down that road, or else you'll end up saying Alabama didn't play any decent teams.

Notre Dame played two conference champs, and eight bowl teams. The only non BCS conference team they played was BYU, who won their bowl game by the way. In addition, they played one would have been division champ and bowl eligible team in Miami. I'm sorry, but there is no way to say a team that played nine bowl eligible teams didn't play a tough schedule. That's just ridiculous. Seriously, I'm not even sure how to deal with this sort of thing because it's like opposite day or something when you assert playing eight bowl teams is meaningless.

There are schedules you can question, for instance Oregon, Florida St., Ohio St., or Clemson. But Notre Dame's? It was tougher than Georgia or South Carolina's. I'm not sure what other teams could have gone undefeated against that schedule. Oregon sure wouldn't have, since they lost to Stanford.

BFANLC

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
In a dream world
Because I understand numbers? Alabama played Western Carolina, Florida Atlantic and, Western Kentucky. You can't rate a schedule based on the inferior teams.

According to Sagarin (which is really quite reliable) here is the SoS:
Alabama 19
Notre Dame 21

The whole only "decent" team they played stuff is just ridiculous. Michigan wasn't decent? You really can't go too far down that road, or else you'll end up saying Alabama didn't play any decent teams.

Notre Dame played two conference champs, and eight bowl teams. The only non BCS conference team they played was BYU, who won their bowl game by the way. In addition, they played one would have been division champ and bowl eligible team in Miami. I'm sorry, but there is no way to say a team that played nine bowl eligible teams didn't play a tough schedule. That's just ridiculous. Seriously, I'm not even sure how to deal with this sort of thing because it's like opposite day or something when you assert playing eight bowl teams is meaningless.

There are schedules you can question, for instance Oregon, Florida St., Ohio St., or Clemson. But Notre Dame's? It was tougher than Georgia or South Carolina's. I'm not sure what other teams could have gone undefeated against that schedule. Oregon sure wouldn't have, since they lost to Stanford.
Michigan wasn't decent...not sure why you would think they were. And you can throw out numbers by saying they played 8 bowl teams and two conference champions but how many of those teams won their bowls games? a 6-6 team can make a bowl, making a bowl means nothing. ND SOS was elevated by who they are and the NAMES they played. Can you say ANY team they played was great? Not even Stanford, which won its bowl game, is great. Did Alabama play any next level great teams? They played two IMO, A&M which got its act together and became one and was one when Bama played them, and Ga which offensively is a next level team. Ga, for all of its weak schedule that you profess it had, would have beaten ND and any team ND played.Shoot I'm pretty sure Vandy would have beaten all the teams ND played. Forget your "numbers" game and tell me what team they played that was great??? The ONLY team they played that was great or next level good was BAMA.

Emerald Isle Classic
09/01/12 vs. Navy Dublin, Ireland W, 50-10

09/08/12 vs. Purdue Notre Dame, Ind. W, 20-17
09/15/12 at Michigan State East Lansing, Mich. W, 20-3
09/22/12 vs. Michigan Notre Dame, Ind. W, 13-6
Shamrock Series
10/06/12 vs. Miami Chicago, Ill. W, 41-3

10/13/12 vs. Stanford Notre Dame, Ind. W, 20-13 (OT)
10/20/12 vs. BYU Notre Dame, Ind. W, 17-14
10/27/12 at Oklahoma Norman, Okla. W, 30-13
11/03/12 vs. Pittsburgh Notre Dame, Ind. W, 29-26 (3OT)
11/10/12 at Boston College Chestnut Hill, Mass. W, 21-6
11/17/12 vs. Wake Forest Notre Dame, Ind. W, 38-0
11/24/12 at USC Los Angeles, Calif. W, 22-13

Yep you're right Miami was awesome this year...???Oh yeah there is OK, traditional power and everything, wait didn't they get their butts handed to them by A&M in their BOWL game...final record 10-3??? Maybe not so good. Ok lets see Usc, traditional power..lost their starting QB and wind up with a 7-6 record and lost in their BOWL game. Well lets try Pitt...took ND to what 3 OTs in a game that the refs game them(or missed) two calls and lost convincingly to Ole Miss in their BOWL game. Lets look at their one "decent" team they played, Stanford. Went 12-2 and won their BOWL game over Wisconsin. Their two losses, ND and Washington. How do you lose to Washington? That's like Bama losing to au this year.

I understand that SOS is based on numbers but their SOS doesn't pass the eye SOS test or even reality SOS test.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
ND SOS was elevated by who they are and the NAMES they played.
A: Decent : fairly good
B: That's like saying someone's batting average was elevated because of his popularity. There's no point in discussing this further with you.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Interesting perspective of the strength of the schedule that could be a factor in playoff bids. PAC-12 teams is little rated too high. Look at the team ranked from 1-4. They all are in Pac-12. Look at SEC teams. We have AuSlaw, Alabama, LSU, TAMU or Florida... is this fair? Not sure.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/ncaaf/sagarin/

Strength of the schedule for 2014:

Alabama (39) (Ranked #39)
Auburn (13) ( Ranked #13)
LSU (25) (Ranked #25)
Florida (19) (Ranked #`19)
Tennessee (10) (Ranked #`10)
Arkansas (12) (Ranked #12)
Georgia (8) ( Ranked #8)
TAMU (26) (Ranked #26)
Missouri ( 24) (Ranked #24)

If you compare the team schedule against other teams, you'll see huge difference.
Florida State ( 62) ( Ranked #62)
Stanford ( 1) Ranked #1)
Ohio State (58) (Ranked #58)
Oregon (29) (Ranked #29)
Arizona State (2) (Ranked #2)
Utah (3) (Ranked #3)
Calfornia (4) (Ranked #4)

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
Interesting perspective of the strength of the schedule that could be a factor in playoff bids. PAC-12 teams is little rated too high. Look at the team ranked from 1-4. They all are in Pac-12. Look at SEC teams. We have AuSlaw, Alabama, LSU, TAMU or Florida... is this fair? Not sure.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/ncaaf/sagarin/

Strength of the schedule for 2014:

Alabama (39) (Ranked #39)
Auburn (13) ( Ranked #13)
LSU (25) (Ranked #25)
Florida (19) (Ranked #`19)
Tennessee (10) (Ranked #`10)
Arkansas (12) (Ranked #12)
Georgia (8) ( Ranked #8)
TAMU (26) (Ranked #26)
Missouri ( 24) (Ranked #24)

If you compare the team schedule against other teams, you'll see huge difference.
Florida State ( 62) ( Ranked #62)
Stanford ( 1) Ranked #1)
Ohio State (58) (Ranked #58)
Oregon (29) (Ranked #29)
Arizona State (2) (Ranked #2)
Utah (3) (Ranked #3)
Calfornia (4) (Ranked #4)
Interesting that #1, Stanford, on that list has never played a regular season game against an SEC team. NEVER! EVER! Has played only 4 games, against 3 SEC teams, in Bowls in their history. Last of which was in 1978.

Stanford versus the SEC:
12/31/1978 vs. Georgia @ Bluebonnet Bowl, Houston, TX
12/31/1977 vs. LSU @ Sun Bowl, El Paso, TX
1/1/1935 vs. Alabama @ Rose Bowl, Pasadena, CA
1/1/1927 vs. Alabama @ Rose Bowl, Pasadena, CA

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
I feel like PAC 12 is inflated because of favoristim toward them, insead of SEC.. Hopefully, it'll balance itself out as the season goes along.
Interesting that #1, Stanford, on that list has never played a regular season game against an SEC team. NEVER! EVER! Has played only 4 games, against 3 SEC teams, in Bowls in their history. Last of which was in 1978.

Stanford versus the SEC:
12/31/1978 vs. Georgia @ Bluebonnet Bowl, Houston, TX
12/31/1977 vs. LSU @ Sun Bowl, El Paso, TX
1/1/1935 vs. Alabama @ Rose Bowl, Pasadena, CA
1/1/1927 vs. Alabama @ Rose Bowl, Pasadena, CA

Nolan

Hall of Fame
Jul 4, 2006
Oahu
Stanford's OOC opponents are UC Davis, Army, and Notre Dame. Aside from ND, the parity of the PAC-12 would have to be why their SoS is #1. Clearly, Sagarin thinks it's the best league from top to bottom.

GreatDanish

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2005
TN
Stanford's OOC opponents are UC Davis, Army, and Notre Dame. Aside from ND, the parity of the PAC-12 would have to be why their SoS is #1. Clearly, Sagarin thinks it's the best league from top to bottom.
Also, since there are two fewer teams in the PAC-12, teams play more of the conference. For example, I think Stanford played every 9 or 10 win team in the conference while we avoided the top 4 teams in the East - we didn't play Missouri, South Carolina, Georgia, or Vanderbilt.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.