Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Re: Rubber Match--Tied at 8 AP National Titles each

Quote Originally Posted by TiderJ View Post
    I thought for sure we have 9 after last year and we have the most of anybody.
    You may be thinking of wire service (AP/UPI) championships. In 1973, Alabama won the UPI (coaches) championship but not the AP.
    Last edited by JeffAtlanta; December 3rd, 2012 at 09:12 PM.

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation All-American BAMA1979's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bama1985 View Post
    I visited the NCAA headquarters and Hall of Champions when it was in Kansas City back in the 1990s. The NCAA only listed AP College Football National Titles on the Wall of Champions. AP was recognized by NCAA from 1936 to 1998 then the BCS from 1998 until today. I remember hoping that we could one day pass Notre Dame when looking at their 8 AP National Titles on display at the NCAA--maybe it will happen on 7 Jan.

National championships in NCAA Division I FBS
    Current System BCS (since 1998)
    National Championship Trophies AP (since 1936)
    AFCA (since 1986),
    MacArthur (since 1959),
    Grantland Rice (since1954)
    Longest Continuous Selector Associated Press (1936–present)
    First Season Awarded 1869
    Last Completed Season 2011
    http://www.ncaa.com/history/football/fbs

The NCAA website recognizes more than the AP winner.

ESPN CFB had on yesterday since 1936 when official polls were started, Bama 9 ND 8.

My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Would it surprise anybody - if the game is close - that the AP would still award their trophy to ND even if we win? I would certainly not be surprised.
    "If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters." - Alan K. Simpson

BamaNation First Team

Quote Originally Posted by TidefaninOS View Post
    Would it surprise anybody - if the game is close - that the AP would still award their trophy to ND even if we win? I would certainly not be surprised.
    After 1966 and 1977, I would not be surprised if this happens. They will use any excuse to give it to ND.

BamaNation Hall of Fame CrimsonChuck's Avatar
    My Mood
    Sassy on TideFans.com

Or if we win, if they award it to Ohio St.

I thought that Notre Dame had 13 national championships overall and that we broke the tie with them last year? But my memory might be wrong.
    Lucky #13

BamaNation All-SEC

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan54 View Post
    After 1966 and 1977, I would not be surprised if this happens. They will use any excuse to give it to ND.
    dont think thats gonna happen this year...

it will be winner take all, and I dont think that Ohio State has a snowballs chance of getting a split...dont think enough AP voters would award it to them given they didnt get a championship game or a bowl game...of course a few less intelligent will vote for them to get their name mentioned, but not enough.

BamaNation All-SEC
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by JBama_in_PCOLA View Post
    Jon Saunders will be on The Sports Reporters arguing it down again...
    I heard Jon Saunders give us credit for 8 after the game in Pasadena so unless he's changed his mind he should now have us at nine.

I guess some people think Bear Bryant never played on a national championship team because the AP had not been born. What a crock and how disrespectful to the men who played football with leather helmets and no face mask. In my book, which is the only one I'm interested in anyway, Bama has 14 titles and is clearly the premier program historically in college football.

BamaNation Hall of Fame selmaborntidefan's Avatar
    My Mood
    Depressed on TideFans.com

John Saunders is a corporate shill who needs to be flogged. I have about 250 Alabama games on DVD. In the pre game of the 2002 OU game, Saunders declared it a match between OU's 7 national titles and our six.

Why? Silly rabbit, because in 2002 the SEC contract was with CBS and the Big 12 with ABC - therefore, the Big 12 HAD to have more. But this same John Saunders informed us all on "The Sports Reporters" telecast of January 10, 2010 that our 13th title was "only" our eighth. Apparently, we fired Shula after he won a national title between 2002-2008.

So make no mistake - the hype masters will be worse than Vince McMahon at declaring this a war to settle the tie that doesn't exist. He is a slimy individual.
    I'll always look back as I walk away
    This memory will last for eternity
    And all of our tears will be lost in the rain
    Til I find my way back to your arms again
    But until that day you know you are
    The queen of my heart

BamaNation First Team

Quote Originally Posted by Go Bama View Post
    I heard Jon Saunders give us credit for 8 after the game in Pasadena so unless he's changed his mind he should now have us at nine.

I guess some people think Bear Bryant never played on a national championship team because the AP had not been born. What a crock and how disrespectful to the men who played football with leather helmets and no face mask. In my book, which is the only one I'm interested in anyway, Bama has 14 titles and is clearly the premier program historically in college football.
    Last year ESPN was adding the 1973 UPI to our AP National Titles--that is how 9 Titles got put out in the news. If you only count AP we are tied with Notre Dame. Love the 1973 team but Notre Dame won 24-23 and got the AP Title that year--the same year we got the UPI. We are tied at 8 AP National Titles each--that will change on 7 January 2013. No way they give the AP Title to Ohio State. This BCS Title game is about best college program in the history of the sport.

DISCLAIMER: I hereby reserve the right to discuss any game on the Alabama schedule I wish, at any time during the season, as I am not a part of the Crimson Tide football program. I am simply a fan who has no impact outside of the money I provide the athletic department via ticket and memorabilia purchases and the energy I can provide when I attend the games. ©2009-2014, crimsonaudio

Lurch Backwater!

BamaNation Second Team

They might do like they used to back in the day and award the trophy before the bowls. That way ND is guaranteed a NC.
    "I know this much, Alabama football will survive anything because we play the most interesting football there is -- we win." Bear Bryant

My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by JeffAtlanta View Post
    You may be thinking of wire service (AP/UPI) championships. In 1973, Alabama won the UPI (coaches) championship but not the AP.
    Thanks. That must be it. I remembered Musburger saying after the conclusion of our game we were now the undisputed leader in N.C. with 9 and apparently he was counting the UPI title which he should.