Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    BamaNation Second Team

Re: Rubber Match--Tied at 8 AP National Titles each

Quote Originally Posted by domeronaroll View Post
    Most Notre Dame fans have great respect for Alabama football. If you ask Notre Dame fans what, if anything, that they dislike most about Alabama football, the majority will answer the claim of a championship in 1973.
    ummm...we could say the same about "66..bama was unbeaten and untied.

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation Hall of Fame Crimson1967's Avatar
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

To be honest, I don't like claiming the 1973 title or the one where we lost to Texas in the bowl game. The one from the 1940s is pretty lame as well. I guess it balances out 1966 and 1977.

BamaNation Hall of Fame RedStar's Avatar
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by Bama1985 View Post
    I visited the NCAA headquarters and Hall of Champions when it was in Kansas City back in the 1990s. The NCAA only listed AP College Football National Titles on the Wall of Champions. AP was recognized by NCAA from 1936 to 1998 then the BCS from 1998 until today. I remember hoping that we could one day pass Notre Dame when looking at their 8 AP National Titles on display at the NCAA--maybe it will happen on 7 Jan.

National championships in NCAA Division I FBS
    Current System BCS (since 1998)
    National Championship Trophies AP (since 1936)
    AFCA (since 1986),
    MacArthur (since 1959),
    Grantland Rice (since1954)
    Longest Continuous Selector Associated Press (1936–present)
    First Season Awarded 1869
    Last Completed Season 2011
    So Titles before 1936 don't count?
    Fool me once, shame on me. Fool me twice? Congratulations, you'd probably make a pretty good con-man.

My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by JBama_in_PCOLA View Post
    Jon Saunders will be on The Sports Reporters arguing it down again...
    That's ok, he's Canadian so his argument is invalid.
    Fool me once, shame on me. Fool me twice? Congratulations, you'd probably make a pretty good con-man.

Most Notre Dame fans have great respect for Alabama football. If you ask Notre Dame fans what, if anything, that they dislike most about Alabama football, the majority will answer the claim of a championship in 1973.
    Nah, the Coaches Poll was one of the two recognized polls, I have zero issue with 1973.
    DISCLAIMER: I hereby reserve the right to discuss any game on the Alabama schedule I wish, at any time during the season, as I am not a part of the Crimson Tide football program. I am simply a fan who has no impact outside of the money I provide the athletic department via ticket and memorabilia purchases and the energy I can provide when I attend the games. ©2009-2014, crimsonaudio

Lurch Backwater!

My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Here's what bothers me about people saying Alabama "Claims" 14 National Championships. We were AWARDED those, we're not claiming them. We're not walking through a parking lot saying "That's my car, and that's my car, and that's my car." No, we actually have keys to those cars. They're ours.

We were awarded the 1973 UPI National Championship. Were we supposed to have the foresight to say "Sorry guys, one day butthurt Notre Dame fans will claim that this title isn't legitimate, so thanks for the award, but I think we'll just let you keep it."

Sorry not gonna happen. Same with the others. These aren't simply claims, they were actually handed out by legitimate sources. I will say this. This wouldn't be an issue in anyone's mind if we didn't have 1941 floating around on our banners. That one year is the source of frustration for most opposing fans and opens the door to put all of our titles under a microscope.

BamaNation Hall of Fame selmaborntidefan's Avatar
    My Mood
    BamaVictory on TideFans.com

It's amusing to see us slammed in that article for 1941 but the Irish get a pass on 1966.
    I'll always look back as I walk away
    This memory will last for eternity
    And all of our tears will be lost in the rain
    Til I find my way back to your arms again

Only a few people in the world have the ability to remember everything. I'm one of them. Pick any day of my life, and I can tell you what I saw or heard.

BamaNation First Team

Good point. I do not ever bring up or even personally count the 1973 UPI National Title because we lost the game on the field. Still the 1973 team is one of my favorite teams. It was the first Alabama team I ever saw play in person. Alabama had a stretch of tough bowl losses in the early 1970s. Much of the problem was due to teams having 4 weeks to prepare for the Wishbone. Notre Dame certainly shut down our high powered offenses in those National Title games. One reason I have been looking forward to a National Title rematch with Notre Dame for years.

BamaNation Hall of Fame B1GTide's Avatar
    My Mood
    Relaxed on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by selmaborntidefan View Post
    It's amusing to see us slammed in that article for 1941 but the Irish get a pass on 1966.
    Not sure why anyone would slam a school or its fan base for any of these. ND did not vote itself #1 in 1966, nor did Alabama vote itself #1 in 1941. But the fans treat their rival schools as if they were responsible for these outcomes.

I dislike obnoxious fans, wherever I find them. Every fan base has them. But those fans do not award national championships.

My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Good point. I do not ever bring up or even personally count the 1973 UPI National Title because we lost the game on the field. Still the 1973 team is one of my favorite teams. It was the first Alabama team I ever saw play in person. Alabama had a stretch of tough bowl losses in the early 1970s. Much of the problem was due to teams having 4 weeks to prepare for the Wishbone. Notre Dame certainly shut down our high powered offenses in those National Title games. One reason I have been looking forward to a National Title rematch with Notre Dame for years.
    So if it were up to you, you would just give the 1973 National Championship trophy back?

Moo

My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

I count every single one of them and can't wait to see #15 on the helmet in one month.

BamaNation First Team

Quote Originally Posted by RedStar View Post
    So Titles before 1936 don't count?
    AP started in 1936.

My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

AP started in 1936.
    You basically just said "I can count to potato."

I'll ask again. Do you think National Titles before 1936 don't count?