Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
Results 66 to 78 of 111
  1. #66
    BamaNation First Team
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Calhoun County
    Posts
    396
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thread Starter

    Re: Rubber Match--Tied at 8 AP National Titles each

    Quote Originally Posted by RedStar View Post
    You basically just said "I can count to potato."

    I'll ask again. Do you think National Titles before 1936 don't count?
    As the Notre Dame people like to say--those would be those non-consensus National Titles.

  2. Advertisement
  3. #67
    Administrator crimsonaudio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    19,613
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

    Re: Rubber Match--Tied at 8 AP National Titles each

    Quote Originally Posted by Bama1985 View Post
    As the Notre Dame people like to say--those would be those non-consensus National Titles.
    I'm so thankful we're not Notre Dame people, for a variety of reasons...
    DISCLAIMER: I hereby reserve the right to discuss any game on the Alabama schedule I wish, at any time during the season, as I am not a part of the Crimson Tide football program. I am simply a fan who has no impact outside of the money I provide the athletic department via ticket and memorabilia purchases and the energy I can provide when I attend the games. ©2009-2014, crimsonaudio

    Lurch Backwater!

  4. #68
    BamaNation First Team
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Calhoun County
    Posts
    396
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thread Starter

    Re: Rubber Match--Tied at 8 AP National Titles each

    Quote Originally Posted by crimsonaudio View Post
    I'm so thankful we're not Notre Dame people, for a variety of reasons...
    Amen

  5. #69
    BamaNation Hall of Fame BamaJama17's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Hoover, AL
    Posts
    7,638
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Happy on TideFans.com

    Re: Rubber Match--Tied at 8 AP National Titles each

    Quote Originally Posted by Bama1985 View Post
    Here is the mess that this creates. See Notre Dame is now claiming the most Titles

    It happened again.

    Quarterback Tony Rice, the special guest on this week's Irish Huddle, led Notre Dame to its most recent "consensus" national title in 1988.
    During the Dec. 2 BCS National Title teleconference, Alabama was introduced as the program going for its “15th national title” while Notre Dame was referred to as competing for its “12th.”
    Here we go again about setting the record straight. One of these years it might actually work.
    Alabama undoubtedly is the current benchmark on the field in college football. On Jan. 7, it will attempt to join Notre Dame from 1946-49 and Nebraska from 1994-97 as the third program to capture three national titles in four years since the end of World War II.
    However, Notre Dame and Alabama have different guidelines on what define a national title.
    Notre Dame goes strictly by “consensus” titles, and the NCAA records show the Fighting Irish have recorded 11: 1924, 1929, 1930, 1943, 1946, 1947, 1949, 1966, 1973, 1977 and 1988. By Notre Dame parameters, it was not inaccurate that it was announced the Irish are going for their “12th.”
    When it comes to consensus, Alabama can be recognized with 10: 1925, 1926, 1961, 1964, 1965, 1978, 1979, 1992, 2009 and 2011.
    Im calling BS on not counting 1930, 1934, and 1941. Alabama went undefeated and untied both '30 & '34 and won the Rose Bowl. ND and Minnesota DID NOT PLAY in the Rose Bowl im either years. Minnesota again did not play in a bowl game in 1941.

  6. #70
    BamaNation Hall of Fame RedStar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    The Shoals, AL
    Posts
    8,879
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

    Re: Rubber Match--Tied at 8 AP National Titles each

    Quote Originally Posted by Bama1985 View Post
    As the Notre Dame people like to say--those would be those non-consensus National Titles.

    In 1930, Alabama went 10-0, and only allowed 13 points the entire season. We also won the Rose Bowl, the premier bowl of the time.

    In 1934, Alabama went 10-0 outscoring their opponents 316-45. We also won the Rose Bowl that year.

    And you don't think we were National Champions those 2 seasons?
    Fool me once, shame on me. Fool me twice? Congratulations, you'd probably make a pretty good con-man.

  7. #71
    BamaNation Hall of Fame BamaJama17's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Hoover, AL
    Posts
    7,638
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Happy on TideFans.com

    Re: Rubber Match--Tied at 8 AP National Titles each

    Quote Originally Posted by RedStar View Post
    In 1930, Alabama went 10-0, and only allowed 13 points the entire season. We also won the Rose Bowl, the premier bowl of the time.

    In 1934, Alabama went 10-0 outscoring their opponents 316-45. We also won the Rose Bowl that year.

    And you don't think we were National Champions those 2 seasons?
    AMEN!!!

  8. #72
    BamaNation Hall of Fame
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Arab, AL
    Posts
    7,795
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Inspired on TideFans.com

    Re: Rubber Match--Tied at 8 AP National Titles each

    Quote Originally Posted by BamaJama17 View Post
    Im calling BS on not counting 1930, 1934, and 1941. Alabama went undefeated and untied both '30 & '34 and won the Rose Bowl. ND and Minnesota DID NOT PLAY in the Rose Bowl im either years. Minnesota again did not play in a bowl game in 1941.
    So it's not enough that they were unjustly awarded 1966 and 1977, but they take 1930 away from us as well?

  9. #73
    BamaNation Hall of Fame BamaJama17's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Hoover, AL
    Posts
    7,638
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Happy on TideFans.com

    Re: Rubber Match--Tied at 8 AP National Titles each

    Quote Originally Posted by TideEngineer08 View Post
    So it's not enough that they were unjustly awarded 1966 and 1977, but they take 1930 away from us as well?
    Yeah Notre Lame also went 10-0 but did not play in the Rose Bowl. Go figure right???

  10. #74
    BamaNation All-American RammerJammer14's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    UA
    Posts
    3,140
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Woot on TideFans.com

    Re: Rubber Match--Tied at 8 AP National Titles each

    I'm curious how they consider 1973 to be a "consensus" title seeing as we own the other half of it.

    Anyways, I wonder if in 2014 we will have to wipe the slate clean again? Seeing as we are moving to the most legitimate championship-determining formula in the history of sportskind and all, it would just be silly to count "pre-playoff" titles...
    -Why's it us Sergeant? Why us?
    -Because we're here lad. Nobody else. Just us.

    -"I wish the ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened."
    -"So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

  11. #75
    BamaNation Hall of Fame
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Arab, AL
    Posts
    7,795
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Inspired on TideFans.com

    Re: Rubber Match--Tied at 8 AP National Titles each

    Quote Originally Posted by BamaJama17 View Post
    Yeah Notre Lame also went 10-0 but did not play in the Rose Bowl. Go figure right???
    Right. Notre Dame would not play in bowl games until the late 60s.

    Oh... wait, what was that??? Notre Dame refused to play in bowl games for many decades? Yes, that's correct. So, I'd like to tell all their fans where they can shove it when they want to talk about 1973.

  12. #76
    BamaNation First Team Bruce014's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    548
    Post Thanks / Like

    Rubber Match--Tied at 8 AP National Titles each

    I have given up trying to have a conversation about our national championships with Auburn and Tennessee fans (who surround me at work).

    They have entire websites written for the express purpose of debunking each one.

    One guy even brought a copy of one of our own Media Guides to "prove" to that our titles are "fake." The media guide said we had six, which is exactly what it should have said because it was talking about the Bryant era.

    The silver lining is that I learned a lot about Alabama football from their obsession, and that strengthened my loyalty to my alma mater.

  13. #77
    BamaNation Second Team
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    58
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Rubber Match--Tied at 8 AP National Titles each

    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce014 View Post
    I have given up trying to have a conversation about our national championships with Auburn and Tennessee fans (who surround me at work).

    They have entire websites written for the express purpose of debunking each one.

    One guy even brought a copy of one of our own Media Guides to "prove" to that our titles are "fake." The media guide said we had six, which is exactly what it should have said because it was talking about the Bryant era.

    The silver lining is that I learned a lot about Alabama football from their obsession, and that strengthened my loyalty to my alma mater.
    amen brother

  14. #78
    BamaNation First Team
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Calhoun County
    Posts
    396
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thread Starter

    Re: Rubber Match--Tied at 8 AP National Titles each

    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce014 View Post
    I have given up trying to have a conversation about our national championships with Auburn and Tennessee fans (who surround me at work).

    They have entire websites written for the express purpose of debunking each one.

    One guy even brought a copy of one of our own Media Guides to "prove" to that our titles are "fake." The media guide said we had six, which is exactly what it should have said because it was talking about the Bryant era.

    The silver lining is that I learned a lot about Alabama football from their obsession, and that strengthened my loyalty to my alma mater.
    I too hate trying to explain to non-Bama fans 15 National Titles. With Bama fans we can agree to 15 National Titles.
    With the rest of the field they want to be cynical. That is why using the AP poll creates a fixed point that no one can dispute.
    Not Oklahoma, not Notre Dame, not anybody.
    Alabama beats Notre Dame on 7 January and there is no doubt who is the greatest program in college football history. 9 AP Titles, 3 BCS Titles. And for Crimson Nation 15 National titles in house. It is why we must beat Notre Dame.

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
'Gear UP! Get your University of Alabama Crimson Tide National Championship & Football Dynasty Gear!