Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    BamaNation Hall of Fame
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Re: Rubber Match--Tied at 8 AP National Titles each

The only year I don't get is 1941. Every other year Alabama either won the Rose Bowl or was the #1 team in the Final AP or Coaches Poll. Rivals can crow all they want but it is not like Alabama decided when the polls held their final vote on declaring a champion. They thought Alabama was the best at the end of November and that was that.

I just don't understand 1941 though...seems like 1945 was a better season. Any Tide historian want to illuminate me on this?

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation Hall of Fame
    My Mood
    Inspired on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by rgw View Post
    The only year I don't get is 1941. Every other year Alabama either won the Rose Bowl or was the #1 team in the Final AP or Coaches Poll. Rivals can crow all they want but it is not like Alabama decided when the polls held their final vote on declaring a champion. They thought Alabama was the best at the end of November and that was that.

I just don't understand 1941 though...seems like 1945 was a better season. Any Tide historian want to illuminate me on this?
    I really don't know why 1941 is recognized. But 1945 is not recognized because of WWII. Army won the NC that year and even though Alabama went 10-0 and dominated USC in the Rose Bowl, we weren't going to dispute a title with the Army right out of WWII.

BamaNation First Team

Heard Rodney Orr on TV tonight talking about Notre Dame and Alabama being tied for first with 8 AP National Titles each and this game would be the Rubber Match. Has he been reading material from this site?

Rubber Match--Tied at 8 AP National Titles each

Quote Originally Posted by TideEngineer08 View Post
    I really don't know why 1941 is recognized. But 1945 is not recognized because of WWII. Army won the NC that year and even though Alabama went 10-0 and dominated USC in the Rose Bowl, we weren't going to dispute a title with the Army right out of WWII.
    The 1941 team stayed together following the bombing of Pearl Harbor, and then played one of the few other teams who had not disbanded, Texas A&M.

Many of the men from both schools were sworn into active duty during halftime of that Cotton Bowl game.

Alabama completely dominated Texas A&M on the field, and I believe Coach Thomas put in our second and third string after building a pretty hefty lead, 29-7, or something like that.

There were only three or four bowl games, and a lot of the conference champions had disbanded, so the remaining teams moved up in the pecking order.

At that time people here on the home-front had no earthly idea what was going to happen. For all they knew, that might have been the last football team UofA ever fielded.

The national championship was awarded during those very trying circumstances. I think that that is why the university chose to include that team among the other 13.

BamaNation First Team

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce014 View Post
    The 1941 team stayed together following the bombing of Pearl Harbor, and then played one of the few other teams who had not disbanded, Texas A&M.

Many of the men from both schools were sworn into active duty during halftime of that Cotton Bowl game.

Alabama completely dominated Texas A&M on the field, and I believe Coach Thomas put in our second and third string after building a pretty hefty lead, 29-7, or something like that.

There were only three or four bowl games, and a lot of the conference champions had disbanded, so the remaining teams moved up in the pecking order.

At that time people here on the home-front had no earthly idea what was going to happen. For all they knew, that might have been the last football team UofA ever fielded.

The national championship was awarded during those very trying circumstances. I think that that is why the university chose to include that team among the other 13.
    Thanks for sharing this story.

Most Notre Dame fans have great respect for Alabama football. If you ask Notre Dame fans what, if anything, they dislike about Alabama football, the majority will answer the claim of a championship in 1973.

The 1973 title was decided by a head-to-head game on the gridiron between two undefeated teams. All other title claim arguments over the years are just arguments.
    Last edited by domeronaroll; December 27th, 2012 at 12:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bama1985 View Post
    Heard Rodney Orr on TV tonight talking about Notre Dame and Alabama being tied for first with 8 AP National Titles each and this game would be the Rubber Match. Has he been reading material from this site?
    I don't doubt Rodney reads us from time to time, but he really doesn't have that much time left over. He's a long-time friend of mine and I've been a member - under the same username - since Tiderinsider was a free site...
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is. Albert Camus

was watching espn the other nite and was talking about saban going after his fourth title compared to bear bryants six. bears 6, stallings 1 and sabans 2 at bama make 9, so espn says we have 9 in the modern era compared to notre dames 8.....just sayin...
    Last edited by crimsoncamaro; December 27th, 2012 at 05:08 AM. Reason: add words

9th is in major polls includes UPI Coaches' of 1973...2 facedness is Rose Bowl is the "granddaddy of them all" then ignores the Champions of that era

Ivan Maisel's Book of List Top 5 Bogus Titles - Notre Dame 66 77 #3 4 ish ...bingo

BamaNation Hall of Fame DzynKingRTR's Avatar
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by domeronaroll View Post
    Most Notre Dame fans have great respect for Alabama football. If you ask Notre Dame fans what, if anything, they dislike about Alabama football, the majority will answer the claim of a championship in 1973.

The 1973 title was decided by a head-to-head game on the gridiron between two undefeated teams. All other title claim arguments over the years are just arguments.
    tell you what we Bama fans will stop counting 1973 the same day you stop counting 1966.
    Due to the current workload, the light at the end of the tunnel will be temporarily turned off.

BamaNation Second Team mhiggy45's Avatar
    My Mood
    BamaVictory on TideFans.com

and '77. If they're belief is on the 'consensus' champions, and they claim they lead eleven to our ten, why is it that '30, '34, and '41 do not count for us ? what makes those titles non-consensus for us ???????

BamaNation Second Team mhiggy45's Avatar
    My Mood
    BamaVictory on TideFans.com

oops, sorry. scratch '41. I meant "30 and "34