Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Re: Rubber Match--Tied at 8 AP National Titles each

Quote Originally Posted by domeronaroll View Post
    Most Notre Dame fans have great respect for Alabama football. If you ask Notre Dame fans what, if anything, they dislike about Alabama football, the majority will answer the claim of a championship in 1973.

The 1973 title was decided by a head-to-head game on the gridiron between two undefeated teams. All other title claim arguments over the years are just arguments.
    It is not a claim. We were awarded the UPI National Championship which was always awarded prior to bowl games. We have a big trophy in our trophy case so please do not use the word "claim".

2. Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by rgw View Post
    The only year I don't get is 1941. Every other year Alabama either won the Rose Bowl or was the #1 team in the Final AP or Coaches Poll. Rivals can crow all they want but it is not like Alabama decided when the polls held their final vote on declaring a champion. They thought Alabama was the best at the end of November and that was that.

I just don't understand 1941 though...seems like 1945 was a better season. Any Tide historian want to illuminate me on this?
    The claim regarding 1941 is hard for Alabama to defend. The team was 9-2-0 that year. Minnesota is regarded by the rest of the world as the national champion for the 1941 season; they won the AP vote for #1 at 8-0. Alabama could justifiably swap in 1945, 1966, or 1977 (or all three of them for that matter). But 1941? Just strange (the Houlgate vote notwithstanding).

Suspended
    My Mood
    Angelic on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by TideEngineer08 View Post
    I really don't know why 1941 is recognized. But 1945 is not recognized because of WWII. Army won the NC that year and even though Alabama went 10-0 and dominated USC in the Rose Bowl, we weren't going to dispute a title with the Army right out of WWII.
    1945 was a 1941 substitute

Wayne Atcheson made the right call

Suspended
    My Mood
    Angelic on TideFans.com

Notre Dame loves to use "Consensus" titles because they benefit from blatant and overt media bias (1966,1977, etc)

The same reason Oklahoma fans want to start in 1936 with the AP - because OU has NO history before that time

Suspended

Bama beat the hell out of the #2 team in the bowl all others dnp or got beat ...1941 story - hot team at the end of season

BamaNation Second Team mhiggy45's Avatar
    My Mood
    BamaVictory on TideFans.com

Another fact about '66 that not a lot of people mention, is that we were pre-season #1 and crushed everyone, I don't think we had a nail biter all year. how do you get jumped by two teams when you are winning all of them big ?

BamaNation Hall of Fame selmaborntidefan's Avatar
    My Mood
    BamaVictory on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by mhiggy45 View Post
    Another fact about '66 that not a lot of people mention, is that we were pre-season #1 and crushed everyone, I don't think we had a nail biter all year. how do you get jumped by two teams when you are winning all of them big ?
    1) Yes, we were the pre-season number one.

2) We only beat the Vols, 11-10

Here's the REALLY funny part:

We were pre-season number one and dropped before we played on September 24. Michigan State moved above us. Then Michigan State DROPPED the week they beat Ohio State.

So to recap for everyone:

Alabama unbeaten - dropped first to 2 and then to 3
    Michigan State unbeaten - dropped to 2
    Notre Dame PLAYS FOR A TIE - and STAYS number one

(Are you kidding me?)

Any Irish fan who wants to talk about 1973 (when we DID get an ACTUAL championship) needs to present a coherent argument for the double standard of 1966. You did beat us on the field in 1973; you did NOT beat us on the field in 1966 when we were TWO-TIME defending champions.
    I'll always look back as I walk away
    This memory will last for eternity
    And all of our tears will be lost in the rain
    Til I find my way back to your arms again

Only a few people in the world have the ability to remember everything. I'm one of them. Pick any day of my life, and I can tell you what I saw or heard.

BamaNation First Team

Quote Originally Posted by mhiggy45 View Post
    Not sure how true this is but...
    I have heard that many northern sports writers wanted to punish anything Alabama in 1966 due to the civil unrest in Alabama and the south in general. Alabama football was an easy target for the voters.

BamaNation Hall of Fame B1GTide's Avatar
    My Mood
    Relaxed on TideFans.com

1966 is among the seasons that many use as justification for calling pre-BCS college football championships "mythical". At least with the BCS system we have a real game for the championship, even if politics is involved in picking the two teams in that game. Before the BCS, we just had politics deciding championships. Play on the field had less to do with it than most care to remember.

BamaNation First Team

Quote Originally Posted by B1GTide View Post
    1966 is among the seasons that many use as justification for calling pre-BCS college football championships "mythical". At least with the BCS system we have a real game for the championship, even if politics is involved in picking the two teams in that game. Before the BCS, we just had politics deciding championships. Play on the field had less to do with it than most care to remember.
    There were only a handful of Number 1 vs Number 2 games before the BCS era.

BamaNation First Team

Quote Originally Posted by RedStar View Post
    Here's what bothers me about people saying Alabama "Claims" 14 National Championships. We were AWARDED those, we're not claiming them. We're not walking through a parking lot saying "That's my car, and that's my car, and that's my car." No, we actually have keys to those cars. They're ours.

We were awarded the 1973 UPI National Championship. Were we supposed to have the foresight to say "Sorry guys, one day butthurt Notre Dame fans will claim that this title isn't legitimate, so thanks for the award, but I think we'll just let you keep it."

Sorry not gonna happen. Same with the others. These aren't simply claims, they were actually handed out by legitimate sources. I will say this. This wouldn't be an issue in anyone's mind if we didn't have 1941 floating around on our banners. That one year is the source of frustration for most opposing fans and opens the door to put all of our titles under a microscope.
    The problem is that Notre Dame is saying those are stolen cars.

BamaNation First Team

Quote Originally Posted by TIDE-HSV View Post
    I don't doubt Rodney reads us from time to time, but he really doesn't have that much time left over. He's a long-time friend of mine and I've been a member - under the same username - since Tiderinsider was a free site...
    Enjoy Rodney's TV show on Tuesday nights. He has some good insights.

BamaNation First Team

Quote Originally Posted by crimsoncamaro View Post
    was watching espn the other nite and was talking about saban going after his fourth title compared to bear bryants six. bears 6, stallings 1 and sabans 2 at bama make 9, so espn says we have 9 in the modern era compared to notre dames 8.....just sayin...
    Yes ESPN gives Bama credit for the 1973 UPI title. That is how they get Bama to 9 National Titles in the modern era.