Rubber Match--Tied at 8 AP National Titles each

Bama1985

1st Team
Jan 18, 2006
Calhoun County
1966 is among the seasons that many use as justification for calling pre-BCS college football championships "mythical". At least with the BCS system we have a real game for the championship, even if politics is involved in picking the two teams in that game. Before the BCS, we just had politics deciding championships. Play on the field had less to do with it than most care to remember.
There were only a handful of Number 1 vs Number 2 games before the BCS era.

Bama1985

1st Team
Jan 18, 2006
Calhoun County
Here's what bothers me about people saying Alabama "Claims" 14 National Championships. We were AWARDED those, we're not claiming them. We're not walking through a parking lot saying "That's my car, and that's my car, and that's my car." No, we actually have keys to those cars. They're ours.

We were awarded the 1973 UPI National Championship. Were we supposed to have the foresight to say "Sorry guys, one day butthurt Notre Dame fans will claim that this title isn't legitimate, so thanks for the award, but I think we'll just let you keep it."

Sorry not gonna happen. Same with the others. These aren't simply claims, they were actually handed out by legitimate sources. I will say this. This wouldn't be an issue in anyone's mind if we didn't have 1941 floating around on our banners. That one year is the source of frustration for most opposing fans and opens the door to put all of our titles under a microscope.
The problem is that Notre Dame is saying those are stolen cars.

Bama1985

1st Team
Jan 18, 2006
Calhoun County
I don't doubt Rodney reads us from time to time, but he really doesn't have that much time left over. He's a long-time friend of mine and I've been a member - under the same username - since Tiderinsider was a free site...
Enjoy Rodney's TV show on Tuesday nights. He has some good insights.

Bama1985

1st Team
Jan 18, 2006
Calhoun County
was watching espn the other nite and was talking about saban going after his fourth title compared to bear bryants six. bears 6, stallings 1 and sabans 2 at bama make 9, so espn says we have 9 in the modern era compared to notre dames 8.....just sayin...
Yes ESPN gives Bama credit for the 1973 UPI title. That is how they get Bama to 9 National Titles in the modern era.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
1966 is among the seasons that many use as justification for calling pre-BCS college football championships "mythical". At least with the BCS system we have a real game for the championship, even if politics is involved in picking the two teams in that game. Before the BCS, we just had politics deciding championships. Play on the field had less to do with it than most care to remember.
And now - enter politics via committee... :D

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Since when do we answer to Notre Dame fans?
You need to read some of their boards just for humor. It's a study in unbounded arrogance. They're going to trample us. This board is a paragon of balanced discussion, in contrast. I've called other fan bases "delusional," based on BB behavior, but this display is ridiculous. We simply don't belong on the same field and don't have a chance. They save a lot of vitriol for prognosticators - oh, and the bookies...

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Not sure how true this is but...
I have heard that many northern sports writers wanted to punish anything Alabama in 1966 due to the civil unrest in Alabama and the south in general. Alabama football was an easy target for the voters.
I read an article once that said Jim Murray of the LA Times wrote an editorial back then saying due to our Civil Rights record, we did not deserve to be number one.

The writer of the article then mentioned the number of blacks on his paper's staff. Suffice it to say it was a very small number. I think if you spelled it, it starts with a z.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.