Rubber Match--Tied at 8 AP National Titles each

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
It's amusing to see us slammed in that article for 1941 but the Irish get a pass on 1966.
Not sure why anyone would slam a school or its fan base for any of these. ND did not vote itself #1 in 1966, nor did Alabama vote itself #1 in 1941. But the fans treat their rival schools as if they were responsible for these outcomes.

I dislike obnoxious fans, wherever I find them. Every fan base has them. But those fans do not award national championships.

RedStar

Hall of Fame
Jan 28, 2005
The Shoals, AL
Good point. I do not ever bring up or even personally count the 1973 UPI National Title because we lost the game on the field. Still the 1973 team is one of my favorite teams. It was the first Alabama team I ever saw play in person. Alabama had a stretch of tough bowl losses in the early 1970s. Much of the problem was due to teams having 4 weeks to prepare for the Wishbone. Notre Dame certainly shut down our high powered offenses in those National Title games. One reason I have been looking forward to a National Title rematch with Notre Dame for years.
So if it were up to you, you would just give the 1973 National Championship trophy back?

Moo

BamaJama17

Hall of Fame
Sep 17, 2006
Hoover, AL
Here is the mess that this creates. See Notre Dame is now claiming the most Titles

It happened again.

Quarterback Tony Rice, the special guest on this week's Irish Huddle, led Notre Dame to its most recent "consensus" national title in 1988.​
During the Dec. 2 BCS National Title teleconference, Alabama was introduced as the program going for its “15th national title” while Notre Dame was referred to as competing for its “12th.”
Here we go again about setting the record straight. One of these years it might actually work.
Alabama undoubtedly is the current benchmark on the field in college football. On Jan. 7, it will attempt to join Notre Dame from 1946-49 and Nebraska from 1994-97 as the third program to capture three national titles in four years since the end of World War II.
However, Notre Dame and Alabama have different guidelines on what define a national title.
Notre Dame goes strictly by “consensus” titles, and the NCAA records show the Fighting Irish have recorded 11: 1924, 1929, 1930, 1943, 1946, 1947, 1949, 1966, 1973, 1977 and 1988. By Notre Dame parameters, it was not inaccurate that it was announced the Irish are going for their “12th.”
When it comes to consensus, Alabama can be recognized with 10: 1925, 1926, 1961, 1964, 1965, 1978, 1979, 1992, 2009 and 2011.
Im calling BS on not counting 1930, 1934, and 1941. Alabama went undefeated and untied both '30 & '34 and won the Rose Bowl. ND and Minnesota DID NOT PLAY in the Rose Bowl im either years. Minnesota again did not play in a bowl game in 1941.

RedStar

Hall of Fame
Jan 28, 2005
The Shoals, AL
As the Notre Dame people like to say--those would be those non-consensus National Titles.

In 1930, Alabama went 10-0, and only allowed 13 points the entire season. We also won the Rose Bowl, the premier bowl of the time.

In 1934, Alabama went 10-0 outscoring their opponents 316-45. We also won the Rose Bowl that year.

And you don't think we were National Champions those 2 seasons?

BamaJama17

Hall of Fame
Sep 17, 2006
Hoover, AL
In 1930, Alabama went 10-0, and only allowed 13 points the entire season. We also won the Rose Bowl, the premier bowl of the time.

In 1934, Alabama went 10-0 outscoring their opponents 316-45. We also won the Rose Bowl that year.

And you don't think we were National Champions those 2 seasons?
AMEN!!!

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Im calling BS on not counting 1930, 1934, and 1941. Alabama went undefeated and untied both '30 & '34 and won the Rose Bowl. ND and Minnesota DID NOT PLAY in the Rose Bowl im either years. Minnesota again did not play in a bowl game in 1941.
So it's not enough that they were unjustly awarded 1966 and 1977, but they take 1930 away from us as well?

RammerJammer14

Hall of Fame
Aug 18, 2007
UA
I'm curious how they consider 1973 to be a "consensus" title seeing as we own the other half of it.

Anyways, I wonder if in 2014 we will have to wipe the slate clean again? Seeing as we are moving to the most legitimate championship-determining formula in the history of sportskind and all, it would just be silly to count "pre-playoff" titles... ;)

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Yeah Notre Lame also went 10-0 but did not play in the Rose Bowl. Go figure right???
Right. Notre Dame would not play in bowl games until the late 60s.

Oh... wait, what was that??? Notre Dame refused to play in bowl games for many decades? Yes, that's correct. So, I'd like to tell all their fans where they can shove it when they want to talk about 1973.

Bruce014

1st Team
Aug 29, 2012
Alabama
I have given up trying to have a conversation about our national championships with Auburn and Tennessee fans (who surround me at work).

They have entire websites written for the express purpose of debunking each one.

One guy even brought a copy of one of our own Media Guides to "prove" to that our titles are "fake." The media guide said we had six, which is exactly what it should have said because it was talking about the Bryant era.

The silver lining is that I learned a lot about Alabama football from their obsession, and that strengthened my loyalty to my alma mater.

crimsoncamaro

BamaNation Citizen
Nov 9, 2010
I have given up trying to have a conversation about our national championships with Auburn and Tennessee fans (who surround me at work).

They have entire websites written for the express purpose of debunking each one.

One guy even brought a copy of one of our own Media Guides to "prove" to that our titles are "fake." The media guide said we had six, which is exactly what it should have said because it was talking about the Bryant era.

The silver lining is that I learned a lot about Alabama football from their obsession, and that strengthened my loyalty to my alma mater.
amen brother

Bama1985

1st Team
Jan 18, 2006
Calhoun County

I too hate trying to explain to non-Bama fans 15 National Titles. With Bama fans we can agree to 15 National Titles.
With the rest of the field they want to be cynical. That is why using the AP poll creates a fixed point that no one can dispute.
Not Oklahoma, not Notre Dame, not anybody.
Alabama beats Notre Dame on 7 January and there is no doubt who is the greatest program in college football history. 9 AP Titles, 3 BCS Titles. And for Crimson Nation 15 National titles in house. It is why we must beat Notre Dame.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
The only year I don't get is 1941. Every other year Alabama either won the Rose Bowl or was the #1 team in the Final AP or Coaches Poll. Rivals can crow all they want but it is not like Alabama decided when the polls held their final vote on declaring a champion. They thought Alabama was the best at the end of November and that was that.

I just don't understand 1941 though...seems like 1945 was a better season. Any Tide historian want to illuminate me on this?

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
The only year I don't get is 1941. Every other year Alabama either won the Rose Bowl or was the #1 team in the Final AP or Coaches Poll. Rivals can crow all they want but it is not like Alabama decided when the polls held their final vote on declaring a champion. They thought Alabama was the best at the end of November and that was that.

I just don't understand 1941 though...seems like 1945 was a better season. Any Tide historian want to illuminate me on this?
I really don't know why 1941 is recognized. But 1945 is not recognized because of WWII. Army won the NC that year and even though Alabama went 10-0 and dominated USC in the Rose Bowl, we weren't going to dispute a title with the Army right out of WWII.

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.