Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BamaNation First Team

Notre Dame helped to create the excessive celebration rule in first meeting with Bama

The play and celebration that helped created the excess celebration rule in college football.

Too bad the rule was not in effect in this game. Notre Dame's bench empties into the endzone in 2nd quarter.

see video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXJIBqfTiZc

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation All-American RollTide1017's Avatar
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Re: Notre Dame helped to create the excessive celebration rule in first meeting with

That's a bit of a stretch, the excessive celebration rule wasn't enacted until 1991; Miami was the reason for the rule.

My Mood
    Amazed on TideFans.com

Re: Notre Dame helped to create the excessive celebration rule in first meeting with

Quote Originally Posted by RollTide1017 View Post
    That's a bit of a stretch, the excessive celebration rule wasn't enacted until 1991; Miami was the reason for the rule.
    I think this was documented in the 30 for 30 special on "The U" that ESPN produced about a year ago. IIRC, it was the Cotton Bowl against Texas in which Miami celebrated on just about every play.
    "If the public are bound to yield obedience to laws to which they cannot give their approbation, they are slaves to those who make such laws and enforce them." - As Candidus in the Boston Gazette, January 20, 1772

BamaNation First Team

Watch the video and listen. The NFL instituted the celebration rule in 1972. The Notre Dame celebration was discussed as a problem following the 1973 meeting between Alabama and Notre Dame. The celebration delay helped Notre Dame make a two point conversion decision--this ended up being a 1 point game. This was the key play in the first meeting.
    Last edited by Bama1985; December 4th, 2012 at 10:46 AM.

My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

I still cannot watch any video of the 73 game without getting physically sick.

BamaNation Hall of Fame CapstoneGrad06's Avatar

The best was the Miami player running up the tunnel and standing there "shooting pistols" back at the field. Amazing. They had over 200 yards in penalties and still routed Texas.

"Each play has a history and a life of its own. How is that play going to be remembered? If you're focusing on that play and what you have to do that single play, usually you'll do pretty good on it." - Coach Nick Saban

BamaNation Hall of Fame selmaborntidefan's Avatar
    My Mood
    Depressed on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by Bama1985 View Post
    Watch the video and listen. The NFL instituted the celebration rule in 1972. The Notre Dame celebration was discussed as a problem following the 1973 meeting between Alabama and Notre Dame. The celebration delay helped Notre Dame make a two point conversion decision--this ended up being a 1 point game. This was the key play in the first meeting.
    I'm sorry, but the Irish were going for two anyway. The PAT had been missed. One could argue that the difference in the game was a missed PAT by Tide K Bill Davis.
    I'll always look back as I walk away
    This memory will last for eternity
    And all of our tears will be lost in the rain
    Til I find my way back to your arms again

Only a few people in the world have the ability to remember everything. I'm one of them. Pick any day of my life, and I can tell you what I saw or heard.

BamaNation Hall of Fame BamaJama17's Avatar
    My Mood
    Happy on TideFans.com

That was ONE excessive celebration. What Miami did from the mid eighties to the early nineties, there is just no comparison.

BamaNation Hall of Fame cbi1972's Avatar
    My Mood
    BamaVictory on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by BamaJama17 View Post
    That was ONE excessive celebration. What Miami did from the mid eighties to the early nineties, there is just no comparison.

Turn down your sound.
    Audemus jura nostra defendere
    "When a loaf of bread looks like a banquet, I've no right buying tobacco. " - Grandpa Joe

BamaNation First Team

Quote Originally Posted by selmaborntidefan View Post
    I'm sorry, but the Irish were going for two anyway. The PAT had been missed. One could argue that the difference in the game was a missed PAT by Tide K Bill Davis.
    The key play I was referring to was the kick off return. It changed momentum--Alabama, after having negative yardage in the first quarter of the game had finally started to take control and move the ball.

BamaNation First Team

Quote Originally Posted by Tide Rev View Post
    I still cannot watch any video of the 73 game without getting physically sick.
    The 73 game has haunted me since childhood. However, I have made myself look at it since we now have a chance at redemption.

BamaNation First Team

Quote Originally Posted by cbi1972 View Post

Turn down your sound.

The Canes were incorrigible

BamaNation Hall of Fame selmaborntidefan's Avatar
    My Mood
    Depressed on TideFans.com

Miami set a new standard for bad. Notre Dame never showed up wearing battle fatigues at a joint dinner.
    I'll always look back as I walk away
    This memory will last for eternity
    And all of our tears will be lost in the rain
    Til I find my way back to your arms again

Only a few people in the world have the ability to remember everything. I'm one of them. Pick any day of my life, and I can tell you what I saw or heard.