Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    BamaNation First Team
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Notre Dame helped to create the excessive celebration rule in first meeting with

Quote Originally Posted by selmaborntidefan View Post
    Miami set a new standard for bad. Notre Dame never showed up wearing battle fatigues at a joint dinner.
    That is true. Notre Dame's celebration was minus the carnal knowledge.

2. Advertisement
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Blah on TideFans.com

Re: Notre Dame helped to create the excessive celebration rule in first meeting with

Quote Originally Posted by Bama1985 View Post
    Watch the video and listen. The NFL instituted the celebration rule in 1972. The Notre Dame celebration was discussed as a problem following the 1973 meeting between Alabama and Notre Dame. The celebration delay helped Notre Dame make a two point conversion decision--this ended up being a 1 point game. This was the key play in the first meeting.

do you have a link to that, I do not believe that is accurate. Billy ' white shoes' Johnson did the Funky chicken after touchdowns well into the eighties. I think in the early eighties they started calling delay of game for extended celebrations. I know the college rule was put in place in the early nineties because of Miami, the refs being new to the rule ironically called Derrick Lassic for celebration against Miami in the BCANCG Sugar bowl after he spun the ball in the endzone.
    to 16 and beyond........

BamaNation First Team
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bamaga View Post
    do you have a link to that, I do not believe that is accurate. Billy ' white shoes' Johnson did the Funky chicken after touchdowns well into the eighties. I think in the early eighties they started calling delay of game for extended celebrations. I know the college rule was put in place in the early nineties because of Miami, the refs being new to the rule ironically called Derrick Lassic for celebration against Miami in the BCANCG Sugar bowl after he spun the ball in the endzone.
    Commentators say after Notre Dame celebrates during '73 game that rule was enforced in the NFL. Could be for bench emptying onto the field see video.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXJIBqfTiZc

BamaNation Hall of Fame cbi1972's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Shocked on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by bamaga View Post

My favorite from that year was Lassic's Fred Sanford heartattack (2:10)
    Last edited by cbi1972; December 6th, 2012 at 12:23 PM.
    Audemus jura nostra defendere
    "When a loaf of bread looks like a banquet, I've no right buying tobacco. " - Grandpa Joe