Notre Dame helped to create the excessive celebration rule in first meeting with Bama

Hoot30

All-SEC
Jan 12, 2005
Nashville, TN
That's a bit of a stretch, the excessive celebration rule wasn't enacted until 1991; Miami was the reason for the rule.
I think this was documented in the 30 for 30 special on "The U" that ESPN produced about a year ago. IIRC, it was the Cotton Bowl against Texas in which Miami celebrated on just about every play.

Bama1985

1st Team
Jan 18, 2006
Calhoun County
That's a bit of a stretch, the excessive celebration rule wasn't enacted until 1991; Miami was the reason for the rule.
Watch the video and listen. The NFL instituted the celebration rule in 1972. The Notre Dame celebration was discussed as a problem following the 1973 meeting between Alabama and Notre Dame. The celebration delay helped Notre Dame make a two point conversion decision--this ended up being a 1 point game. This was the key play in the first meeting.

Last edited:

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Watch the video and listen. The NFL instituted the celebration rule in 1972. The Notre Dame celebration was discussed as a problem following the 1973 meeting between Alabama and Notre Dame. The celebration delay helped Notre Dame make a two point conversion decision--this ended up being a 1 point game. This was the key play in the first meeting.
I'm sorry, but the Irish were going for two anyway. The PAT had been missed. One could argue that the difference in the game was a missed PAT by Tide K Bill Davis.

BamaJama17

Hall of Fame
Sep 17, 2006
Hoover, AL
That was ONE excessive celebration. What Miami did from the mid eighties to the early nineties, there is just no comparison.

Bama1985

1st Team
Jan 18, 2006
Calhoun County
I'm sorry, but the Irish were going for two anyway. The PAT had been missed. One could argue that the difference in the game was a missed PAT by Tide K Bill Davis.
The key play I was referring to was the kick off return. It changed momentum--Alabama, after having negative yardage in the first quarter of the game had finally started to take control and move the ball.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Miami set a new standard for bad. Notre Dame never showed up wearing battle fatigues at a joint dinner.

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA

do you have a link to that, I do not believe that is accurate. Billy ' white shoes' Johnson did the Funky chicken after touchdowns well into the eighties. I think in the early eighties they started calling delay of game for extended celebrations. I know the college rule was put in place in the early nineties because of Miami, the refs being new to the rule ironically called Derrick Lassic for celebration against Miami in the BCANCG Sugar bowl after he spun the ball in the endzone.

Bama1985

1st Team
Jan 18, 2006
Calhoun County
do you have a link to that, I do not believe that is accurate. Billy ' white shoes' Johnson did the Funky chicken after touchdowns well into the eighties. I think in the early eighties they started calling delay of game for extended celebrations. I know the college rule was put in place in the early nineties because of Miami, the refs being new to the rule ironically called Derrick Lassic for celebration against Miami in the BCANCG Sugar bowl after he spun the ball in the endzone.
Commentators say after Notre Dame celebrates during '73 game that rule was enforced in the NFL. Could be for bench emptying onto the field see video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXJIBqfTiZc

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL

My favorite from that year was Lassic's Fred Sanford heartattack (2:10)

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.