Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Re: A BCSCG statistical snippet: Why Notre Dame's Rushing Defense ranking is misleadi

It would be nice to see Bama fresh, rested and get some guys who were banged up in the Georgia game back. That's one thing people forget: Bama had not had a bye week since early October. We went through a gauntlet and couldn't hold up in the last leg of it against texas A&M. Georgia was easily the most intense and physically draining game I've seen Bama play that I can remember. The time off will help our guys get their edge back mentally and physically. Bama didn't play a great game in a lot of ways against UGA either. It very easily could have gone the other way. Thankfully it didn't. We have a lot we can and need to to improve on.

2. Advertisement

Re: A BCSCG statistical snippet: Why Notre Dame's Rushing Defense ranking is misleadi

Quote Originally Posted by DocCrimson View Post
    I gotta say, you've got your head screwed on pretty well for a fan of a team we're about to play in the NCG. While I tend to fall on the side of the Bama arguments, I think it's quite an accomplishment that you've been so even-keeled around here thus far. Unless I'm missing your "crazy fan" thread... Just wanted to express my appreciation, and hopefully I'll get to express my condolences in a month. ;-)
    Ha, much appreciated. I'm too busy to troll. I'd rather get something substantive if I'm coming on to an opposing team's board.

BamaNation All-American Crimson Flyboy's Avatar
    My Mood
    Happy on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by FriendlyIrish View Post
    Ha, much appreciated. I'm too busy to troll. I'd rather get something substantive if I'm coming on to an opposing team's board.
    What is a good Notre Dame message board?
    שלום
    Pax
    Peace

"The sole object and only legitimate end of government is to protect the citizen in the enjoyment of life, liberty, and property, and when the government assumes other functions, it is usurpation and oppression."

"I swear by my life and my love of it that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor will I ever ask another man to live for the sake of mine."

"Any man who strives for free inquiry, free thought, and self ownership is my brother and countryman."

Quote Originally Posted by Crimson Flyboy View Post
    What is a good Notre Dame message board?
    The only one I am on is irishenvy.com/forums. I really like ours, but haven't tried any others.

The only one I am on is irishenvy.com/forums. I really like ours, but haven't tried any others.
    Just went to that board. You have posters wishing that Alabama was destroyed by Katrina. Other posters think it is funny. And you like that sort of thing?

Quote Originally Posted by B1GTide View Post
    Just went to that board. You have posters wishing that Alabama was destroyed by Katrina. Other posters think it is funny. And you like that sort of thing?
    I saw that. Someone put him in check.

Wow, stay classy, ND fans.
    DISCLAIMER: I hereby reserve the right to discuss any game on the Alabama schedule I wish, at any time during the season, as I am not a part of the Crimson Tide football program. I am simply a fan who has no impact outside of the money I provide the athletic department via ticket and memorabilia purchases and the energy I can provide when I attend the games. 2009-2014, crimsonaudio

Lurch Backwater!

BamaNation Hall of Fame IH8Orange's Avatar
    My Mood
    Volatile on TideFans.com

From an ND fan who has watched every snap this season, I think that is a pretty good assessment. To #2, that is kind of what we try and do. We like to (except early in the game) have long drives over 5 minutes and move the chains. Control possession.
    In one of the interviews I saw of Coach Kelly, he stated that he looked at the teams that were successful and saw that they were primarily built around ball-control, time of possession offense and strong defenses and he decided that was the road that he wanted to take for Notre Dame. He was being very complimentary of Coach Saban and Coach Saban looked so uncomfortable. I don't know if he just doesn't know how to handle flattery or if he's just so accustomed to criticism from others within the context of the national press that he was paralyzed by shock.
    "If it feels good, then you're not doing it right" - Coach Scott Cochran

"Sharing a conference with Nick Saban is like sharing a steak with a lion. Only one of you wins that battle. And it's not you." - Gregg Doyel

BamaNation Hall of Fame IH8Orange's Avatar
    My Mood
    Volatile on TideFans.com

You have posters wishing that Alabama was destroyed by Katrina.
    That's probably because most of northwest Indiana looks like a hurricane came off of Lake Michigan, made landfall at Gary, and then beat a path over to Lake Erie.
    "If it feels good, then you're not doing it right" - Coach Scott Cochran

"Sharing a conference with Nick Saban is like sharing a steak with a lion. Only one of you wins that battle. And it's not you." - Gregg Doyel

Quote Originally Posted by BamaMan09 View Post
    It would be nice to see Bama fresh, rested and get some guys who were banged up in the Georgia game back. That's one thing people forget: Bama had not had a bye week since early October. We went through a gauntlet and couldn't hold up in the last leg of it against texas A&M. Georgia was easily the most intense and physically draining game I've seen Bama play that I can remember. The time off will help our guys get their edge back mentally and physically. Bama didn't play a great game in a lot of ways against UGA either. It very easily could have gone the other way. Thankfully it didn't. We have a lot we can and need to to improve on.
    You know, Georgia came into the SECCG game on a roll, biggest game for that school in 30 years, everybody fired up.
    Then we throw a pick in the endzone and have a kick blocked giving them a TD.....

And we still kicked their butts, this team has something special going for them, they don't quit.

I agree, we needed the rest and will get some guys 100% healthy, then look out golden domers, can you just imagine if we put it all together and play one of our best games of the year?
    Last edited by CRMSNtide; December 5th, 2012 at 09:49 PM.

My Mood
    Relaxed on TideFans.com

I love stats as much as anyone. But stats can be presented in a number of ways to mean different things. Looking at ND overall, I come away impressed by their defense and how hard they play. Those guys are tenacious and they really play together.

Sure, they may win ugly, but still they win. I gotta respect that. ND is the kind of team that will make you pay for dumb mistakes and turnovers. If we don't turn it over and avoid penalties I like our chances a lot. I don't think they can stop our run game for an entire four quarters. But I also think their QB will be a headache at times with his scrambling ability.
    ---------------------------------------

"In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: it goes on."

Robert Frost

BamaNation First Team

I'd like to see an analysis involving the first team offenses and defenses. I have only watched ND vs Pitt and USC. They sure as heck kept starters in all day. Against Michigan we emptied the bench a good bit; did they? I seriously doubt it. Auburn's first string would've had like -50 rushing yards against our first string D if they weren't back at Bryant Hall shortly after halftime. In all but 3 games I cant recall a second half where Eli wasn't talking like it was late on A-Day.

BamaNation Hall of Fame uafan4life's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nolcbear View Post
    I love stats as much as anyone. But stats can be presented in a number of ways to mean different things. Looking at ND overall, I come away impressed by their defense and how hard they play. Those guys are tenacious and they really play together.

Sure, they may win ugly, but still they win. I gotta respect that. ND is the kind of team that will make you pay for dumb mistakes and turnovers. If we don't turn it over and avoid penalties I like our chances a lot. I don't think they can stop our run game for an entire four quarters. But I also think their QB will be a headache at times with his scrambling ability.

I don't think anyone's really saying that they aren't a great team - certainly not me. Any team that makes it to the BCSCG - and undefeated especially - is, at the very least, a very good team.

It's just that they may not be as good as a lot of people - seemingly most of their fans - believe them to be.

As you said, stats can be deceiving. That's kind of my whole point with the differential analysis stuff, especially situational and targeted differentials. Sure, team A may score 43.2 points per game while team B scores 35.7 points per game. That doesn't necessarily mean that team A has a better overall, or even better scoring, offense - especially if the defenses that team A played averaged giving up 39.7 points per game while the defenses that team B faced averaged giving up 27.2 points per game.

The most important thing to do when looking at stats, and trying to compare two different teams by using them, is to use as many common denominators as possible. In some cases, such as comparing an SEC West team to an SEC East, that can be fairly easy and fairly accurate. Of course, you still have to take into account various unknown or unaccountable factors such as when the teams face(d) each other, playing styles, injuries, coaching adjustments, individual match-ups, and emotion just to name a few. Those are things that a statistical analysis cannot really account for, making any statistical analysis flawed from the outset.

That doesn't mean, though, that you can't learn anything from them.
    I have yet to figure out why common sense and common courtesy are called common.
    - Unknown

I have never understood why it is "greed" to want to keep the money you've earned but not greed to want to take somebody else's money.
    - Thomas Sowell