A BCSCG statistical snippet: Why Notre Dame's Rushing Defense ranking is misleading..

crmsntd91

1st Team
Sep 30, 2010
I don't think there is anything wrong with asking for advice...but why ask the guy who got blown out in the BCSNCG after time off for his advice on what to do?

Edit: Unless it was like a "Hey, what did you do? Because I want to do the opposite!"

Last edited:

crmsntd91

1st Team
Sep 30, 2010
Everyone always seems to forget GMAC might has well have been on the bench. He was to banged up to let us throw the ball so we just crammed it down their throat.

I was unaware that McCoy played on defense.

Apparently neither Ingram nor Richardson knew it, either.

FriendlyIrish

3rd Team
Nov 22, 2012
I was obviously totally kidding. I had this discussion at length in another thread about how Colt being out is a weak excuse.

Hopefully he was asking Les so he could figure out what "not" to do. But Les has been there before and won, so who knows.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I was obviously totally kidding. I had this discussion at length in another thread about how Colt being out is a weak excuse.

Hopefully he was asking Les so he could figure out what "not" to do. But Les has been there before and won, so who knows.
I haven't read the other discussion yet, but you are aware that McElroy played with broken ribs?

TideFan in AU

Hall of Fame
I haven't read the other discussion yet, but you are aware that McElroy played with broken ribs?
Nobody ever talks about that, but its amazing how much broken ribs can affect a QB's game. It only hurts to do everything, including breathe. It says a lot about a QB with broken ribs that is willing to go in and play knowing he's going to get hit...

CrimsonChuck

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 1999
Philadelphia, PA
Here is something that I posted on Facebook a few days after the game, and I didn't even mention the broken ribs.

A lot of people out there have been saying that Bama would not have won the game if McCoy hadn't gone down. I think those people are cheapening our championship when they say that. McCoy went down with an injury that can happen during a game. Thems the breaks. If it was a dirty hit, then you can complain. That hit wasn't even remotely dirty. To be honest, I was little disappointed that McCoy didn't return. I would have much rather have beaten Texas at full strength so I wouldn't have to listen to all of this.

It took the Texas backup QB a while to adjust to the speed of the game. And guess what? Our starting QB, Greg McElroy, went through the exact same adjustment period. In his first start against Virginia Tech, it took him a half to adjust. And then it took him an entire month to adjust to SEC play. But guess what again? Bama won all those games, because we were the better TEAM.

And if you want to talk about injuries, we were without our second best defensive player (Dante Hightower) since he went down with an ACL tear in September. It still was one of the best defenses in the country, but it definitely lost something too.

Also, some people, including Herbstriet, said that the Texas defense lost some of its steam when McCoy went down. That is not true. Texas was shutting down our passing game all night long. Other than the very first run of the game, they were having issues stopping our running game. For some reason, it took our coaches a couple drives to realize that.

Oh and you can only blame Mack Brown for calling the time out at the end of the half. During that timeout, My friend at the game with me and I were talking about the fact that he should have just let the clock run out.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Ok, I watched the Notre Dame-OU rebroadcast this morning. OU seems to be the game that "proves" what a great rush defense ND has. This is basically because OU had 7 yards rushing. Here's my take away from that:

1) OU only ran the ball a total of 16 times. They - as most Big 12 teams - are pass first. I don't think it's a great example either way.

2) In the Irish favor I could note that OU only had one possession in the third quarter. That's praise more for the ND offense, which ran the clock down with its run.

3) OU's O-line is not Alabama's.

4) OU had one decent RB who got virtually all the carries. Not the same as facing a 1-2 of Lacy and Yeldon. Good thing for ND that Fowler and Hart are out as well.

5) OU had a 19-yard loss on a bad snap that dropped their rush total.

6) On nearly every play OU passed to guys in the middle who were wide open. McCarron is not Landry Jones, who I think is fragile mentally. Once Jones messes up he has problems. AJ puts it behind him and keeps going.

7) Gholson is not as talented as Manziel, but he's no slouch. He's not yet a true double threat but he keeps his head about him.

8) Bob Stoops is not very good at making adjustments. Ever notice if OU can't drill four TDs into you the first four possessions they look lost? Saban does not have that problem.

9) ND defense is not as good as LSU last year but neither is Alabama except on O line.

FriendlyIrish

3rd Team
Nov 22, 2012
Ok, I watched the Notre Dame-OU rebroadcast this morning. OU seems to be the game that "proves" what a great rush defense ND has. This is basically because OU had 7 yards rushing. Here's my take away from that:

1) OU only ran the ball a total of 16 times. They - as most Big 12 teams - are pass first. I don't think it's a great example either way.

2) In the Irish favor I could note that OU only had one possession in the third quarter. That's praise more for the ND offense, which ran the clock down with its run.

3) OU's O-line is not Alabama's.

4) OU had one decent RB who got virtually all the carries. Not the same as facing a 1-2 of Lacy and Yeldon. Good thing for ND that Fowler and Hart are out as well.

5) OU had a 19-yard loss on a bad snap that dropped their rush total.

6) On nearly every play OU passed to guys in the middle who were wide open. McCarron is not Landry Jones, who I think is fragile mentally. Once Jones messes up he has problems. AJ puts it behind him and keeps going.

7) Gholson is not as talented as Manziel, but he's no slouch. He's not yet a true double threat but he keeps his head about him.

8) Bob Stoops is not very good at making adjustments. Ever notice if OU can't drill four TDs into you the first four possessions they look lost? Saban does not have that problem.

9) ND defense is not as good as LSU last year but neither is Alabama except on O line.
From an ND fan who has watched every snap this season, I think that is a pretty good assessment. To #2, that is kind of what we try and do. We like to (except early in the game) have long drives over 5 minutes and move the chains. Control possession. That will be much more difficult against your D I believe, unless Golson continues to keep plays alive with his feet.

DocCrimson

All-SEC
Jan 3, 2010
East TN
From an ND fan who has watched every snap this season, I think that is a pretty good assessment. To #2, that is kind of what we try and do. We like to (except early in the game) have long drives over 5 minutes and move the chains. Control possession. That will be much more difficult against your D I believe, unless Golson continues to keep plays alive with his feet.
I gotta say, you've got your head screwed on pretty well for a fan of a team we're about to play in the NCG. While I tend to fall on the side of the Bama arguments, I think it's quite an accomplishment that you've been so even-keeled around here thus far. Unless I'm missing your "crazy fan" thread... Just wanted to express my appreciation, and hopefully I'll get to express my condolences in a month. ;-)

BamaMan09

All-SEC
Feb 26, 2009
It would be nice to see Bama fresh, rested and get some guys who were banged up in the Georgia game back. That's one thing people forget: Bama had not had a bye week since early October. We went through a gauntlet and couldn't hold up in the last leg of it against texas A&M. Georgia was easily the most intense and physically draining game I've seen Bama play that I can remember. The time off will help our guys get their edge back mentally and physically. Bama didn't play a great game in a lot of ways against UGA either. It very easily could have gone the other way. Thankfully it didn't. We have a lot we can and need to to improve on.

FriendlyIrish

3rd Team
Nov 22, 2012
I gotta say, you've got your head screwed on pretty well for a fan of a team we're about to play in the NCG. While I tend to fall on the side of the Bama arguments, I think it's quite an accomplishment that you've been so even-keeled around here thus far. Unless I'm missing your "crazy fan" thread... Just wanted to express my appreciation, and hopefully I'll get to express my condolences in a month. ;-)
Ha, much appreciated. I'm too busy to troll. I'd rather get something substantive if I'm coming on to an opposing team's board.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
The only one I am on is irishenvy.com/forums. I really like ours, but haven't tried any others.
Just went to that board. You have posters wishing that Alabama was destroyed by Katrina. Other posters think it is funny. And you like that sort of thing?

IH8Orange

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2000
Trussville, AL, USA
From an ND fan who has watched every snap this season, I think that is a pretty good assessment. To #2, that is kind of what we try and do. We like to (except early in the game) have long drives over 5 minutes and move the chains. Control possession.
In one of the interviews I saw of Coach Kelly, he stated that he looked at the teams that were successful and saw that they were primarily built around ball-control, time of possession offense and strong defenses and he decided that was the road that he wanted to take for Notre Dame. He was being very complimentary of Coach Saban and Coach Saban looked so uncomfortable. I don't know if he just doesn't know how to handle flattery or if he's just so accustomed to criticism from others within the context of the national press that he was paralyzed by shock. :wink:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.