Speaking of Clean Hits (Nebraska vs. Wisconsin)

WMack4Bama

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 7, 2008
Tuscaloosa, AL
Did we discuss this already? This is from the Big 10 Championship Game Saturday. Nebraska's version of Kenny Bell delivered a jarring block to spring his teammate to score a TD.

My opinion: Player safety is one thing. But turning tackle football into 2-hand touch (which is what we're pretty much headed toward) is another.

Please watch the play below and I'd love to discuss.

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
Did we discuss this already? This is from the Big 10 Championship Game Saturday. Nebraska's version of Kenny Bell delivered a jarring block to spring his teammate to score a TD.

My opinion: Player safety is one thing. But turning tackle football into 2-hand touch (which is what we're pretty much headed toward) is another.

Please watch the play below and I'd love to discuss.

Did CNN show this one today? This is on a different level from Dial'***** even though it wasn't the QB. Seems like the TV announcers thought it was an awesome hit.

Bad Pony

All-American
Nov 14, 1999
Pelham
I saw that Saturday night...it's ridiculous they threw a flag for that block for un-necessary roughness. Pathetic call...

Skeeterpop

Hall of Fame
Jul 18, 2008
Terrible call. Either change all the rules and call it soccer or let teams play football

jps1983

Hall of Fame
Aug 30, 2006
Great block. A flag on that is ridiculous. That was completely within the scope of play. He didn't even lead with a helmet; he used his shoulder completely. What a joke of a call. Football is becoming touch football.

bamanut_aj

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2000
Spring Hill, TN
I'll say this, although I don't mind the hit. Kinda like hockey, there is no need to leave the ground on a hit like that. I watched it twice and his feet weren't off the ground yet when hit the guy, but he did spring. I know it's football, but there will be more and more lines drawn as kids get faster, bigger, etc.

Tough deal....I see it both ways

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TideHiFlyer

Scout Team
Sep 3, 2012
A, A
Absolutely an illegal hit. Launched above the shoulders. No place in football for that. I am in complete agreement with Commissioner Goodell.

jps1983

Hall of Fame
Aug 30, 2006
Absolutely an illegal hit. Launched above the shoulders. No place in football for that. I am in complete agreement with Commissioner Goodell.
Ummm, he hit the guys shoulder pads. This whole concept of hitting below the neck is going to get defensive players hurt when they inevitably duck their head... That's how dudes break their necks. That is a great block; a player has to be aware of his surroundings and keep his head on a swivel.

257WBY

Suspended
Aug 20, 2011
That was the only hit Nebraska made all night. I go along with most in that I don't want the essence of football to go away. I also have a son who is a high school WR/DB and I don't want to see him get blown up like that.

TideHiFlyer

Scout Team
Sep 3, 2012
A, A
Ummm, he hit the guys shoulder pads. This whole concept of hitting below the neck is going to get defensive players hurt when they inevitably duck their head... That's how dudes break their necks. That is a great block; a player has to be aware of his surroundings and keep his head on a swivel.
Start the video at :30 sec and stop it at :32. Contact is above the shoulders and he launched. Illegal hit.

Snuffy Smith

All-American
Sep 12, 2012
Huntsville, AL
I don't have the advantage of slowmo on the iPhone but it looks to me like he got him around the armpit area - did not target the shoulder or head area. Good clean decleating block. This is football - not a game for babies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.