Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    BamaNation All-American
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Re: This is the actual NCAA definition of a "defenseless player..."

Quote Originally Posted by rolltide7854 View Post
    AM forgot he was in the middle of a play and got popped. I bet he won't forgot anytime soon........
    With all his interceptions he should be used to this drill by now.

I've never seen the rule interpreted as broadly as we are seeing here. The rule might be read to cover any blindside hit but it is pretty obvious from watching games that is not how it is actually interpreted. Now the SEC/NCAA aren't known for consistency but to punish in this situation would be changing the way that rule has been interpreted for as long as it has been around.

I don't see how he can get a suspension just because they missed the call in the game. If they had flagged it he wouldn't have been kicked out for it so why do a suspension in hindsight.

2. Advertisement
    My Mood
    Aggressive on TideFans.com

It cost Georgia the game, pure and simple!
    to 16 and beyond........

Quote Originally Posted by bamaga View Post
    LOL! Visit their pages and see how many single causes they've identified. Basically they just ran out of time. Every once in a while, someone will remember that they had 350 yds rushing put on them...
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is. Albert Camus

BamaNation Hall of Fame cbi1972's Avatar
    My Mood
    Fine on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by bamaga View Post
    I'm more worried about our next game, should the squeaky wheels get the grease.
    Audemus jura nostra defendere
    "When a loaf of bread looks like a banquet, I've no right buying tobacco. " - Grandpa Joe

My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by centerstar View Post
    If he was a guard nobody would be talking about it.
    That's what I've said numerous times in the other thread. If the cameras saw any other player on the ground, they wouldn't show the replay. The replay was shown because Gary and Verne thought he was hit late after the throw.

I never saw a replay of Stinson's injury. Wonder why...
    "I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    Coach Bryant

Rasuputin's response to my question "What benefit do tablets provide students?"
    (In an old southern trailer park redneck beer in hand marlboro light in other and camoflauge cutoff shorts man's voice) If a tablet was good enough for Moses and the 10 Commandments then by god they are good enough for my children in school today!!!!!!!

BamaNation First Team
    My Mood
    Angelic on TideFans.com

It didn't look that bad to me.
    Live your life like you wish you had.

Quote Originally Posted by RTR91 View Post
    That's what I've said numerous times in the other thread. If the cameras saw any other player on the ground, they wouldn't show the replay. The replay was shown because Gary and Verne thought he was hit late after the throw.

I never saw a replay of Stinson's injury. Wonder why...
    Plus it was about six yards from the ball carrier.

BamaNation Hall of Fame Alasippi's Avatar

That is one of the vaguest rules I've ever read and isn't really fair to the officials having to make the call.
    Maybe, after the hit, the official can ask the blockee, "Excuse me son, did you have a focus of concentration?"..lol
    That'll straighten it all out.

I posted this on the other thread but I think it applies here...

Ultimately I think they will go to a simplified rule much like they did with the face mask penalty. Instead of an inadvertent or intentional judgement call the NCAA simply changed it to "If you grab the face mask it's 15 yards".
    I wouldn't be surprised to eventually see a rule that reads something like, "Any blindside block above the shoulders is a penalty".
    What's amazing to me is that the NCAA actually forced the higher tackling and blocking techniques many years ago when, because of a rash of knee injuries they made it practically illegal to tackle or block anyone below the waist. It's an ever evolving game I guess.

Looking at some of the pics I've seen posted, he was TOTALLY focused on Dial about a half second before the hit. His eyes got big as moon pies!

Quote Originally Posted by dvldog View Post
    Looking at some of the pics I've seen posted, he was TOTALLY focused on Dial about a half second before the hit. His eyes got big as moon pies!
    ...and he said quickly..."Uh Oh"!

Dial is so much bigger and stronger that Murray bounced off Dial like a spring. Murray is actually kind of small.

Bottom line, if this exact block had been thrown on kick coverage this would be a complete non issue. The man was a defender at the point he was popped. Just my 2 cents. Worth what you paid for it.