Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    BamaNation First Team fundytide's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: This is the actual NCAA definition of a "defenseless player..."

What should he have done? A. Block him lightly B. Bypass him and block #4? C. Just stand there and think about it.

I really believe he did the the instinctual thing that has been coached to him over the years. And it really looks like a clean hit, so the only argument is if players should take pity when delivering a blow, and is that what we want football to become?
    Totally agree. What looks to me to be really close is whether it was intentional helmet to helmet. When I watch it, I don't think it is but it does look like Dial's helmet might have hit Murray's helmet at the same time that Dial's shoulder hit Murray's chest.

If Murray had started walking to the bench instead of drifting toward the ball carrier and Dial nailed him, I might feel differently but if Murray goes soft into a potential tackle, he shouldn't expect a Bama blocker to go soft into the block.

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation All-American
    Post Thanks / Like

what about the eye gouge? Even though there was a 15 yd penalty the ncaa should be addressing that behaviour, but you don't hear that much, also you can't convince me that Murray wouldn't have tried to make the tackle if he was in the right position. The play was still live.
    Life is short, ocassionally bend the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably, and never regret anything that made you smile.

Suspended
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Relaxed on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by fundytide View Post
    Totally agree. What looks to me to be really close is whether it was intentional helmet to helmet.
    Hopefully they will decide soon. If they do see it as an illegal hit, I side with Alasippi who said they he believes it will have to usher in a new rule of "Any blindside block above the shoulders is a penalty". This block has opened up side issues they will probably close imo.

BamaNation All-American 230kv_barehand's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    BamaVictory on TideFans.com

Tim Brando was on Finebaum dogging the non-call saying it should have been roughing the passer. smh.

I watched the replay on ESPNU, if you watch it and pause it Dial slammed him on the hash closest to the t.v. screen, and the play was around the numbers to the sideline. He was not as far as they are claiming on t.v. He COULD have made the play if he actually ran towards it, but still, he was trotting towards the play and deserved what he got.

BamaNation All-American
    Post Thanks / Like

Video shows that Murray had focus of concentration on the block though it was immediately before the block took place... Can someone paste some antlers on his helmet?

I would have preferred for Dial to just get in front of Murray and stop his progress rather than busting him like he did but I don't see that a rule was violated.

7. December 4th, 2012, 01:58 PM

Reason
    Go find another site to bash Bama players...

BamaNation All-American MattinBama's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by capnfrog View Post
    what about the eye gouge? Even though there was a 15 yd penalty
    Umm, the 15 yard penalty was called on the guy that got poked in the eye, not the one doing the gouging.

BamaNation All-American CHATTBRIT's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Fine on TideFans.com

When I first saw the hit and the replays of it I thought it was a cheap shot. When it was explained that after an interception the QB is just another player, I felt more comfortable about it. It was a BIG hit but I don't believe it affected the result at the end.
    My basset hound, Henry. 10-14-1998 - 04-09-2012
    Remembering Victor Ellis #9
    I would rather burn an American flag to protect the Constitution than burn the Constitution to protect the American flag

BamaNation Hall of Fame JBama_in_PCOLA's Avatar
    Andalusia, Alabama via Pensacola, Florida United States
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Mellow on TideFans.com

This is the actual NCAA definition of a "defenseless player..."

Quote Originally Posted by tripler1 View Post
    cheap shot by dial, nothing more or less.
    It was not a cheap shot what so ever. That would have come after the whistle had blown, or away from the play. Neither in this case applies.
    ROLL TIDE!

Suspended
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Relaxed on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by JBama_in_PCOLA View Post
    It was not a cheap shot what so ever. That would have come after the whistle had blown, or away from the play. Neither in this case applies.
    Here is another good post from him
    Originally Posted by tripler1 - if its close we loose to the Dawgs. Hopefully we will win big. Nobody will be able to block JJ
    Very few refer to opposing players by their initials
    I smell something

BamaNation Hall of Fame Tide1986's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by 230kv_barehand View Post
    Tim Brando was on Finebaum dogging the non-call saying it should have been roughing the passer.
    I guess that would make sense if Georgia had actually been on offense at the time of the hit. Brando is just showing his football ignorance, which is typical.
    The Concord Blue Devils, 15-Time World Champions: 2012, 2010, 2009, 2007, 2003, 1999, 1997, 1996, 1994, 1986, 1982, 1980, 1979, 1977, and 1976. Enriching the lives of young people through a commitment to youth development and performance excellence.

“Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music.” ― Sergei Rachmaninoff

“The discovery of a wine is of greater moment than the discovery of a constellation. The universe is too full of stars.” ― Benjamin Franklin

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 230kv_barehand View Post
    Tim Brando was on Finebaum dogging the non-call saying it should have been roughing the passer. smh.

I watched the replay on ESPNU, if you watch it and pause it Dial slammed him on the hash closest to the t.v. screen, and the play was around the numbers to the sideline. He was not as far as they are claiming on t.v. He COULD have made the play if he actually ran towards it, but still, he was trotting towards the play and deserved what he got.
    Once he was intercepted, he was no longer a passer, not that you'd expect Brando to know that...
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

“I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is.” Albert Camus

Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by TIDE-HSV View Post
    Once he was intercepted, he was no longer a passer, not that you'd expect Brando to know that...
    Aub co-worker kept hounding me yesterday about it being roughing the passer. Finally, he shut up long enough for me to tell him Murray was a defender after the INT. Unbelievable the ignorance people are spewing about this one play.
    "I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    Coach Bryant

Rasuputin's response to my question "What benefit do tablets provide students?"
    (In an old southern trailer park redneck beer in hand marlboro light in other and camoflauge cutoff shorts man's voice) If a tablet was good enough for Moses and the 10 Commandments then by god they are good enough for my children in school today!!!!!!!

BamaNation All-SEC KrimsonNinja's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Busy on TideFans.com

Just put a dress on the QB's and make it illegal to make any contact with them.

It's sad when players can't even hit in football without there being a huge deal made about it. Murray wasn't defenseless when he got hit. It was a live ball and he was moving.
    "In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act" - George Orwell