The argument against the "Alabama never gets called for holding" bias from officials

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
The argument against the "Alabama never gets called for holding" bias from officials

Fans from other schools complain that we rarely get called for holding while running the ball heavily. Georgia fans have said something to the effect "50+ rushes, 0 holding calls...how is that possible." I think it is very possible.

1) Most holding penalties are called in pass protection, not run blocking. This is true for every team, including Alabama. Most of our holding infractions on offense this season have came in pass protection and if you watch other teams you'll notice much the same.

2) Alabama has been called for very few offensive holding infractions in their bowl games, neutral field or OOC away game matchups. The crux of the holding conspiracy theory is that it is an attempt by the SEC Front Office to protect their prized asset, Alabama football and their consistent success. If this were true, certainly crews from other conferences across the nation would call these holds that are never flagged. This has simply not been the case. Alabama has been flagged for offensive holding at a similar clip as their SEC officiated games.

3) By scheme, Alabama's blocking is less likely to induce a hold call. Zone blocking is huge on double-team blocks where you play the direction of the defenders rush and quickly get to the second level. This means they will let go of a guy when they move away from them and allow the defender to go into the face of their double team buddy who will engage him. There isn't much opportunity to hold because you are playing the aggression of the defensive front to open up linemen to get to the linebackers and safeties. The old Alex Gibbs-coached zone blocking OLs got similar treatment from opposing NFL fans for years. They wondered how a team could effectively block without holding. Man blocking scheme are more prone to holding because by nature the linemen's job is beat that individual assignment. If the lineman is losing the battle, the only option is to hold and hope it is not caught.

I know opposing fans will never see it this way, but there is a reason why Alabama is a pretty infraction free team. They coach techniques that aren't infraction prone on offense or defense.

JIB

Suspended
Nov 2, 2011
Sterrett
Re: The argument against the "Alabama never gets called for holding" bias from offici

Bama is also incredibly disciplined. How often does Bama get a false start or illegal procedure call? It would make sense that a team that is disciplined wouldn't hold as much, plus our O-line is talented enough not to need to hold very much.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Re: The argument against the "Alabama never gets called for holding" bias from offici

Listening to our local (LSU dominant) sports talk radio show this morning this came up.....again. LSU fans are convinced there is a conspiracy going on between the SEC, the refs and Bama. From the outcome of games to the fixed scheduling to the crews that call Bama's games.

But no one wants to address the issue of "scheduling" when the schedule just happen to fall where we played SEC team after SEC team who just so happen to be coming off their byes. How many years did it fall that way? And what are the odds of that "just happening" for that many straight years? They conveniently don't want to address that. They also don't want to address the fact that no one really seemed to care who our opponents were in the east when Tennessee was in their hayday and beating us year after year.

And none of 'um like to discuss the blatant PI non call that cost us the game down in BR under Shula. Or in 2007 when a catch that would have iced that game got overturned when it was obvious even through replay the ball never hit the ground. We all can sit here and cherry pick play after play where something should have been or shouldn't have been called. None of these crybabies ever scrutinize the tape of their own teams and realize there are calls and non calls happening in every game benefiting them. They spend too much time worrying about Bama to realize it.

Last edited:

mrusso

1st Team
Apr 17, 2006

Guys, I'm here to tell you that there is some kind of conspiracy. I believe it goes beyond the SEC and the refs and has infiltrated deeper into the ranks. If you pay close attention to the games you will notice that every time Bama crosses the goal line with the football in hand, the scoreboard changes. I think this also happens when the football crosses the goalpost between the uprights. I have noticed this on TV but it glaringly obvious when attending games in person. This occurs not only at BDS, but also at away games. I don't know what can or will be done about this but I'm sure scoreboard operators will now be scrutinized more closely.

For what it's worth all this conspiracy talk about the refs and Bama or the SEC...it's complete crap. I don't believe it happens for anyone. Those refs are watched too closely. It's human nature to miss calls, made bad calls, etc. If even one ref was doing this on a consistent basis he would be caught. You can bet the SEC/NCAA/whomever watches this very closely.

Last edited:

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa

With scheduling, you can hardly blame Alabama for the issues created by the new additions. If there is any blame for Alabama, it is because they have a traditional rivalry they want to maintain with an interdivisional foe...but in that case, so do Tennessee, Auburn, Georgia, Florida, and LSU. That is hardly Alabama's fault that they have a scheduling desire that nearly half the conference wants to maintain in some fashion.

Alabama was one of the only vocal supporters of adding another conference game to alleviate the issues created by adding one intradivisional game and keeping a yearly interdivisional rivalry game. Nobody else wanted to step up to the plate and accept an additional "losable" game over an assured win against an OOC creampuff or FCS team so that the schedules could be more fair and balanced.

Rivals can say what they want about scheduling but Nick Saban was the only coach or AD to come out strongly in the affirmative of a 9-game schedule when it was a popular question in SEC Media Days. Everybody else is looking out for their bowl eligibility and their decisions led to Alabama and Georgia being the first beneficiaries of a scheduling system rife with possibilities of unbalancedness.

RTR251

3rd Team
Dec 4, 2011
Mobile, Al

There was an egregious hold by the Georgia's center that went uncalled on their last completion to their tight end.

Hoot30

All-SEC
Jan 12, 2005
Nashville, TN

Listening to our local (LSU dominant) sports talk radio show this morning this came up.....again. LSU fans are convinced there is a conspiracy going on between the SEC, the refs and Bama. From the outcome of games to the fixed scheduling to the crews that call Bama's games.

But no one wants to address the issue of "scheduling" when the schedule just happen to fall where we played SEC team after SEC team who just so happen to be coming off their byes. How many years did it fall that way? And what are the odds of that "just happening" for that many straight years? They conveniently don't want to address that. They also don't want to address the fact that no one really seemed to care who our opponents were in the east when Tennessee was in their hayday and beating us year after year.

And none of 'um like to discuss the blatant PI non call that cost us the game down in BR under Shula. Or in 2007 when a catch that would have iced that game got overturned when it was obvious even through replay the ball never hit the ground. We all can sit here and cherry pick play after play where something should have been or shouldn't have been called. None of these crybabies ever scrutinize the tape of their own teams and realize there are calls and non calls going benefiting them. They spend too much time worrying about Bama to realize it.
I hope you call in to those shows and point out those facts. Would love to listen to that.

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006

I have watched a lot of football this season and the last couple of years too. I think I can say with all honesty that holding is not called nearly as frequently as it used to be for any team. I am not seeing it much in the games I watch. So that conspiracy doesnt go anywhere with me.

Bamatim15

BamaNation Citizen
Nov 12, 2012
Kingsport TN

Also correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't CS have refs at practice watching and throwing flags to correct problems before they make it to the playing field? That could have something to do with it also. MHO :biggrin2: on TideFans.com

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa

There was an egregious hold by the Georgia's center that went uncalled on their last completion to their tight end.
In terms of holds, I felt like their center was nearing crossing the line into a hold most of the night on Jesse Williams.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004

I hope you call in to those shows and point out those facts. Would love to listen to that.
There are one or two Bama guys who call in EVERY NOW AND THEN and the host is very respectful to them. But all in all it's not worth it. They've pointed out the same stuff I posted but none of the LSU callers afterward wants to address them. Nor does the host really spend much time on it once it's brought to light. But that's expected. His bread and butter, pay the bills folks are LSU fans.

kayakerjess

All-American
Sep 9, 2005
Colorado

Also correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't CS have refs at practice watching and throwing flags to correct problems before they make it to the playing field? That could have something to do with it also. MHO :biggrin2: on TideFans.com
You are correct. And, Coach has stated the guys who get penalties during games are the same ones who get called for penalties during practice, so I'm sure that playing penalty-free is a point of emphasis for our staff.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004

I'm pretty sure a lot of, if not all, SEC teams do this. If not then we'd be on sanctions you can guarantee that.

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA

All SEC fans think the SEC is biased toward Bama because the SEC is headquartered in Alabama. I had to listen to one this past Saturday at the SECCG. Of course they don't believe the United Nations is biased toward the United States because the UN is headquartered in the United States.

78Alum

All-American
Aug 1, 2007
Alabaster, AL

I know that I am biased but I see others teams holding us a whole lot more and not getting called for it than calls that are missed against us. That holding near the end of the SECCG was ridiculous... How do you miss that?

Bluegrasstide

1st Team
Oct 31, 2010
Pikeville KY

I don't think that they are calling holding on any team. Most of the holding penalties that I see called usually involve a lineman or receiver in space (pulling or screen). Which, at that point, if you have a number in the 50 to 70 series you also have a gigantic bullseye when playing in space.

Holding happens an almost every play within the tackle box. Heck, it is coached. However, unless it is a blatant takedown, it is usually not called. Even with a takedown, there is no guarantee. As a former OL, I prefer it that way. Beats having a penalty every few plays.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

I don't think that they are calling holding on any team. Most of the holding penalties that I see called usually involve a lineman or receiver in space (pulling or screen). Which, at that point, if you have a number in the 50 to 70 series you also have a gigantic bullseye when playing in space.

Holding happens an almost every play within the tackle box. Heck, it is coached. However, unless it is a blatant takedown, it is usually not called. Even with a takedown, there is no guarantee. As a former OL, I prefer it that way. Beats having a penalty every few plays.
I do think that it should be called when the OL ends up lying down on the DL's back. That didn't get called against UGA...

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa

I just didn't have a great view at all times during the game because I was directly behind the endzone. I will say that UGA's center looked awfully close to holding Jesse Williams most of the time he was on the field. I didn't have a good view of his arms most of the time though...but it looked questionable from the stands.

Aledinho

All-SEC
Feb 22, 2007

4. We are more disciplined than the rest of the SEC. When compared to us, LSU, Auburn, Tennessee, Miss St are very Recless.

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama

The temperament of a HC tends to rub off on his players..Coach Saban's temperament is being disciplined in everything he does & that has rubbed off on his players..Thankfully..

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.