ND Fans Seem to be Bi-Polar at This Point

HartselleTider

Suspended
Jan 11, 2012
In what universe is BYU number 2 and Michigan State number 8?

Michigan State stunk this year. Oh and by the way... the worst Nick Saban team of the past 5 years beat the best Michigan State team of the past 40 years 49-7.

They're talking about run defense. BYU has the #2 ranked run defense in terms of yards/game and yards/carry given up....behind Alabama.

Stanford ranked #3 in yards/game and #5 in yards/carry... and Michigan St. #8 in yards/game and #15 in yards/carry.

I think Alabama fans understand how skewed some of these rush defense statistics can be (see Texas 2009, etc.)

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Florida State had one of the best run defenses in the nation until they played Florida, who can't even efficiently pass the football. I just don't respect most conference's run defense numbers until I see them play a physical SEC team. Call me a homer, but I just don't...I've seen this song and dance one too many times (Texas '09 and Mich. St '10 for us) to buy in without question.

Notre Dame is the closest team to mimicking the tennets of championship football of any team an SEC team has played in the recent title run. I respect that and it should make for a tough game for us. I'd expect something like the LSU game.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
They're talking about run defense. BYU has the #2 ranked run defense in terms of yards/game and yards/carry given up....behind Alabama.

Stanford ranked #3 in yards/game and #5 in yards/carry... and Michigan St. #8 in yards/game and #15 in yards/carry.

I think Alabama fans understand how skewed some of these rush defense statistics can be (see Texas 2009, etc.)
Ok, makes better sense.

Nick Saban's worst record, not exactly the worst team. I think that team healthy may actually be the most talented to ever walk out behind CNS.
Yeah, they were very talented but even when healthy at the beginning of the year, something was missing. But I said the last 5 years, and I'll stand by it. That was his worst team. That's not saying they were a bad team. But the records don't lie: 12-2 in 2008, 14-0 in 2009, 10-3 in 2010, 12-1 in 2011, and 12-1 this season. That team never truly jelled, was plagued with injuries to stars, yet still dominated the best Michigan State team of the past 40 to 50 years.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
The team was more than good enough to contend for titles but Richardson got hurt on the TD that put us up 7-3 against LSU...and the run game disappeared for the rest of the regular season. USC just caught us at a good time. LSU and Auburn wouldn't have beat us with a healthy group of tailbacks (Ingram was hobbled that whole season even after returning).

formersoldier71

All-American
May 9, 2004
Jasper, AL
They're talking about run defense.
Alabama and Notre Dame have one common opponent, Michigan. We both played Michigan back in September. I don't know any of Michigan's defensive rankings, but...

Notre Dame gashed them for 94 yards rushing, we squeaked out 232.

But, Notre Dame does have a much better passing game than we do, so...

Notre Dame 145 yards passing, Alabama 199 yards passing.

FriendlyIrish

3rd Team
Nov 22, 2012
I saw that thread too. They're actually "scouting" the Bama/aTm game looking for ways to exploit Alabama.

I'm actually surprised that they could find time to do something like this considering all the time they spend factoring quadratic expressions, discussing the roles of fiscal policy and aggregate demand, and patting themselves on the back.
Wait wait wait a second. You went over there to see if it was a good forum to talk about football. You went there, saw some people looking at the only game that you lost, discussing how we could exploit your weaknesses, and now that you saw we are talking football it still isn't good enough. That makes no sense.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Wait wait wait a second. You went over there to see if it was a good forum to talk about football. You went there, saw some people looking at the only game that you lost, discussing how we could exploit your weaknesses, and now that you saw we are talking football it still isn't good enough. That makes no sense.
The problem is what I said on page 6...

That thinking is so flawed. The media doesn't see the flaw in it, either. That is why it continues to bring up the issues in the A&M game.

How difficult is it for people to watch that game realize "A&M scored 29 points, and 20 of those were in the first quarter." Once the game settled down for Bama (aka adjusting to Scooby's speed), Bama was fine. A&M did not just whip Alabama like they did Auburn. That game was only different from A&M's games against LSU and Florida in one aspect - Alabama gave up 20 points rather than 14 and couldn't come back.

bamafaninOhiO

All-American
May 11, 2010
Dayton, Ohio
Do they even know for sure what they need to do to beat us? I know we are talking about fans (Irish posters) here, but let's just hope Kelly and company are thinking this too.

Are they going to play smash-mouth football OR are they going to try to spread us out and let Golson "try" to be Johnny Football?

Don't think they'll successfully do either, but they better commit to something and get real good at it in the next 30 days.
I think that to be successful at all, they have to stick with what got 'em this far...which is hard, solid defense, and trying to run the ball to take pressure off Golson (who is improving, but is still a freshman QB) fi we keep them one dimensional by stopping their running game (which I think we will)...I dont see them beating us in any way with golson at QB.

Golson has improved, but not to the extent to be able to take over this game and win it...not by any stretch...

Our defense looks to be a much tougher matchup for their offense than their defense for ours...

I think that it will be a really good game, and a great matchup of our offensive line against a pretty good defensive team...but i DO NOT see them using the TAMU game as a model to beat us..

they dont have the same race horse (manzeil) to bring out of the stable...

But, in their defense, what would a Notre Dame fan say? that they have no chance?

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
I saw one MB (when discussing how many NC we have/claim/whatever) that said we cannot count past four and that is how many teeth we have in our mouth. :)
Won't ND be surprised when our fans show up wearing shoes... ;)

I've always liked the fact that ND has always been so full of themselves.
They and the nations sports writers are sure to prop them up big time...
(Gives them further to fall)

ND has 'Touch Down Jesus'... We have Coach Saban.
ND is counting on history... We are counting on Alabama Football.
# 15 is coming in January... :BigA:

trenda

Hall of Fame
May 17, 2000
Hendersonville, TN USA
This game will be extremely tough for us to win:

We usually don't do well against a 2-dimensional QB
Their rush defense is in the top 5 ... UGA's was #65 or thereabouts
Their front seven plays the rush and they don't need the secondary on rushes.
This will force us to win through the air -- something we don't do well.

If I'm predicting a final score, it's 17-14 Bama and even that barely (wouldn't be surprised if we lost). This will be a very tight game. I hope I end up being made a fool though. Nothing would make me happier.
Their rush defense is in the top 5 ... UGA's was #65 or thereabouts
Their front seven plays the rush and they don't need the secondary on rushes.
ND played against 3 teams that ranked in the top 50 rushing offenses in the country, giving up an average of 152 yards on the ground and 3.8 yards per carry against them. The other 9 teams they faced had an average rank of 80 in rushing offense, with four ranked 80 or lower (2 ranked 113 or worse). It's not like they've shut down the three decent rushing teams they've faced. They've built their rushing D stats against poor running teams. Outside of Navy - who's completely one-dimensional - they haven't faced a running team like Bama - who is NOT one-dimensional. They're going to have their hands full stopping the running game. And if they load the box, as GA found out, we're more than capable of beating them over the top.

This will force us to win through the air -- something we don't do well.
The Tide is number one in the nation in pass efficiency and average 215 yards per game in the air as well as 14 yards per completion. Bama's more than capable in the passing game. If Bama gets at least the 3.8 ypc that the top 3 running teams ND has faced averaged, they won't be forced to win the game through the air. The passing game will be used to complement, which is the Tide's strategy.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Alabama and Notre Dame have one common opponent, Michigan. We both played Michigan back in September. I don't know any of Michigan's defensive rankings, but...

Notre Dame gashed them for 94 yards rushing, we squeaked out 232.

But, Notre Dame does have a much better passing game than we do, so...

Notre Dame 145 yards passing, Alabama 199 yards passing.
we were emptying the bench in the third quarter as well. how deep did we go into our tailback roster that day?

Neos

Suspended
Nov 14, 2011
I've actually managed to watch some Notre Dame games this year. They are a very beatable team. The only quality win in my eyes is Stanford, and they should have lost that game. I would be surprised if the final score is within two touchdowns. We win 27-10.

CRMSNtide

1st Team
Jul 4, 2011
Another thing is a 6-6 Pittsburgh team only needed to kick a 33 yard field goal and ND wouldn't even be in the title game.

Then they finished the season only having to beat a crappy USC team with Barkley out to cash the BCSCG ticket.

We still had to beat #3 Georgia that was playing really good football.

ND fans don't seem interested in these subjects though, they are more interested in us losing to A&M like that shows a big flaw for us.

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
Here's what you're missing. ND is not the flagship school of any state, certainly not of Indiana. In fact, if anything, it's the flagship school of a particular denomination of Christianity. If I could make myself comfortable on any rival board, made up predominately of folk from the north, which didn't demonize the South in general, and the State of Alabama in particular, I'd happily visit or even participate. So far, I've not found such a board. The demonizing is what really gets under our skin, particularly the tendency to fight the battles of the Civil War and the pains of desegregation all over again. It's particularly irritating when my families were Union people and the people I find myself arguing with didn't even have any ancestors in this country at the time of the Civil War. I'm going to visit "Friendly's" board and see if Notre Dame's fans there have finally matured enough to move the discussion to football and only football. I'm not optimistic, but I'll at least sample and see if I can stand reading the posts. I live in a city with the second largest high-tech center in the country, with an educational level and per capita income level far above, for example, Indiana, and I get a bit tired of condescension from people who can't even spell the word...
My stepfather..............the one with the Nutter Dumber BB scholarship............hated everyone from the South, because we "all dumb. Especially that Terry Bradshaw. Dumb."

TB's sin? No, it wasn't winning 4 SBs, for the Steelers. No, it was because he beat out the other Terry.

Hanratty, that is. Ex-Nutter Dumber QB. (Bet no one remembers him, outside of a bunch of disgruntled ND/Steeler fans.)

And talk about racist..................

If I even dropped hints of the stuff he would say, on here, I would be booted. Suffice to say, I enjoyed hearing him call me on the phone, when U$C was beating the daylights out of ND, just to hear his racist and highly irrational thoughts on why that was so, and what ND needed to do, to regain superiority. Let's just say he still lived in the 50s.

Now, I know all ND grads are not like him. But, the idea that we alone are the evil unwashed cretins is really laughable. What is that story about he who is without sin should throw the first stone? I know my stepfather missed it. Probably because someone mumbled it in Latin.

Anyway..........that Catholics vs Cousins tee shirt................yeah, welcome to my childhood.

HartselleTider

Suspended
Jan 11, 2012
My stepfather..............the one with the Nutter Dumber BB scholarship............hated everyone from the South, because we "all dumb. Especially that Terry Bradshaw. Dumb."

TB's sin? No, it wasn't winning 4 SBs, for the Steelers. No, it was because he beat out the other Terry.

Hanratty, that is. Ex-Nutter Dumber QB. (Bet no one remembers him, outside of a bunch of disgruntled ND/Steeler fans.)

And talk about racist..................

If I even dropped hints of the stuff he would say, on here, I would be booted. Suffice to say, I enjoyed hearing him call me on the phone, when U$C was beating the daylights out of ND, just to hear his racist and highly irrational thoughts on why that was so, and what ND needed to do, to regain superiority. Let's just say he still lived in the 50s.

Now, I know all ND grads are not like him. But, the idea that we alone are the evil unwashed cretins is really laughable. What is that story about he who is without sin should throw the first stone? I know my stepfather missed it. Probably because someone mumbled it in Latin.

Anyway..........that Catholics vs Cousins tee shirt................yeah, welcome to my childhood.

What I found interesting was that Phil Robertson of Duck Dynasty had Bradshaw pulling splinters out of his butt from sitting on the bench when they were both at Louisiana Tech.

Now that's my kinda show by the way....

"Yuppy"... now that's a good word for the Notre Dame crowd. They'd all drown if they walked outside while it was raining....

crmsntd91

1st Team
Sep 30, 2010
Now thats a fact, JACK!

What I found interesting was that Phil Robertson of Duck Dynasty had Bradshaw pulling splinters out of his butt from sitting on the bench when they were both at Louisiana Tech.

Now that's my kinda show by the way....

"Yuppy"... now that's a good word for the Notre Dame crowd. They'd all drown if they walked outside while it was raining....

Vinny

Hall of Fame
Sep 27, 2001
Rockaway, NJ
I saw on a local channel that Rudy is going to be at Nielsen Dodge dealership in East Hanover, NJ on Saturday from 2 to 6.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9780 using Tapatalk

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.