ND Fans Seem to be Bi-Polar at This Point

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
I saw on a local channel that Rudy is going to be at Nielsen Dodge dealership in East Hanover, NJ on Saturday from 2 to 6.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9780 using Tapatalk
is everyone going to start crying when they finally let him drive a pick-up at 5:59?

SoINIrishFan

BamaNation Citizen
Dec 2, 2012
Here's what you're missing. ND is not the flagship school of any state, certainly not of Indiana. In fact, if anything, it's the flagship school of a particular denomination of Christianity. If I could make myself comfortable on any rival board, made up predominately of folk from the north, which didn't demonize the South in general, and the State of Alabama in particular, I'd happily visit or even participate. So far, I've not found such a board. The demonizing is what really gets under our skin, particularly the tendency to fight the battles of the Civil War and the pains of desegregation all over again. It's particularly irritating when my families were Union people and the people I find myself arguing with didn't even have any ancestors in this country at the time of the Civil War. I'm going to visit "Friendly's" board and see if Notre Dame's fans there have finally matured enough to move the discussion to football and only football. I'm not optimistic, but I'll at least sample and see if I can stand reading the posts. I live in a city with the second largest high-tech center in the country, with an educational level and per capita income level far above, for example, Indiana, and I get a bit tired of condescension from people who can't even spell the word...
It's obvious you're an intelligent individual, and I understand where you're coming from. ND people get the same type of treatment here, from some of the posters. The modus operandi may vary, but it goes to the same agenda. The problem is, it's not right in either direction. I realize all Alabama posters aren't rude and disrespectful, and neither are Notre Dame's. There is a segment of every board, and general population for that matter, who can't seem to communicate in an appropriate manner. They either don't know what they're talking about, don't know how to effective say what they mean, or are attention hounds. People who are civil and intelligent, don't judge the many from the few.

I will disagree with your assessment of Notre Dame not being a flagship school. It is very much a flagship school for football in Indiana. It isn't the only D-1 program in the state, but far more people relate to ND when it comes to football. I would probably say, ND is still a flagship school for an entire generation of Irish Americans, of course your opinion may vary.

I am a member of numerous Irish boards, and would happily invite you for dignified exchange of opinion, fact, and ideas. Could I guarantee there won't be some shots from the guy living in his Mother's basement? Can I guarantee there won't be some sideways shots or a dolt trying to incite? No I can't. What I can promise is, there will be posters like you and me. People who love football, and are genuinely excited about the match up between Alabama and ND. People who want to hear what you have to say. People who want to know why ND can't win, and how Alabama could possibly lose. Why Saban is so brilliant. What Kelly can do differently. What a 'barner' is? There are million questions to ask and answer.

I will never be a dyed in the wool Alabama fan, but I appreciate the team and their fans. Having said that, there is no reason I can't be friends with Alabama fans, or Alabama fans can't be friends with ND fans. Fun, good-natured, rib poking is encouraged.

formersoldier71

All-American
May 9, 2004
Jasper, AL
Alabama and Notre Dame have one common opponent, Michigan.
Speaking of our common opponent, here's some links to one of their sites' analysis of the two games.
http://mgoblog.com/content/upon-further-review-2012-offense-vs-alabama
Like, oh my God. Alabama does that to everyone. It is virtually impossible to tell how Michigan will do against an earthly defense when this is basically the best defense since M 1997 minus some important guys and the guys replacing the important guys are dudes like DeMarcus Milliner, who is insane. Insaaaaaaaaaaane.
http://mgoblog.com/content/upon-further-review-2012-offense-vs-notre-dame
ND: often showed extremely soft coverage, ran cover zero behind it, never had their corners tested, and never had their OLBs put in a bind.
I'm not just talking about bubble screens here. In either of the top two frames, a simple smash concept is an easy read Michigan—one Denard was doing way back in the day—is in advantageous position on.
Honey Badger was beaten on several "smash" routes in last year's BCSNCG.

http://mgoblog.com/content/upon-further-review-2012-defense-vs-alabama
If you want to sanity-check those numbers, Alabama averaged 6.2 YPC while running two-thirds of the time. Other than the Avery fall, Michigan kept the Alabama passing game in decent check, but it doesn't matter when you get crushed that badly on the ground.
http://mgoblog.com/content/upon-further-review-2012-defense-vs-notre-dame
Michigan was one stumble away from holding Notre Dame to under 200 yards of total offense. ND drives started at the Michigan 17, 39, and 48 in the first half and Michigan still gave up a total of 13 points on nine drives (ND had a tenth on which it was not trying to score, FWIW.)
I thought these might be of interest.

Last edited:

formersoldier71

All-American
May 9, 2004
Jasper, AL
Yeah because the transitive property works so well in college football. Especially at the beginning of the year.
Is that anything like looking at the only game that we lost, discussing how you could exploit our weaknesses? Because the Manziel property works so well in college football. Especially when he's not on your team.

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
What I found interesting was that Phil Robertson of Duck Dynasty had Bradshaw pulling splinters out of his butt from sitting on the bench when they were both at Louisiana Tech.

Now that's my kinda show by the way....

"Yuppy"... now that's a good word for the Notre Dame crowd. They'd all drown if they walked outside while it was raining....
"That's what I'm talking about, Jack!"

FriendlyIrish

3rd Team
Nov 22, 2012
Is that anything like looking at the only game that we lost, discussing how you could exploit our weaknesses? Because the Manziel property works so well in college football. Especially when he's not on your team.
Right, but if we beat you no one is going to say, "well, we beat Alabama, Alabama lost to A&M, thus ND could beat A&M." That just isn't going to happen. There were other intangibles going on against Michigan. We had lost to them the last 3 years, and they are our second biggest rival. It was our QB's second full game (and he got pulled for the second half).

I'm just saying that it is not difficult to make a case that 'bama could dominate us. But using the Michigan game as prima facie evidence that it will happen is insufficient.

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL
Right, but if we beat you no one is going to say, "well, we beat Alabama, Alabama lost to A&M, thus ND could beat A&M." That just isn't going to happen. There were other intangibles going on against Michigan. We had lost to them the last 3 years, and they are our second biggest rival. It was our QB's second full game (and he got pulled for the second half).

I'm just saying that it is not difficult to make a case that 'bama could dominate us. But using the Michigan game as prima facie evidence that it will happen is insufficient.
Pedantic, but the transitive property(which is invalid anyway) would only apply to teams the loser beat.
If ND wins, you could say ND could beat LSU.
If Alabama wins, we could say Alabama could beat Oklahoma.

ND beating Alabama says nothing about ND's ability to beat the teams Alabama LOST TO, unless you go meta, in which case, the top 6 teams in the SEC are all equal since they only lost to each other, and ND would have effectively beaten them all with a win.

FriendlyIrish

3rd Team
Nov 22, 2012
Pedantic, but the transitive property(which is invalid anyway) would only apply to teams the loser beat.
If ND wins, you could say ND could beat LSU.
If Alabama wins, we could say Alabama could beat Oklahoma.

ND beating Alabama says nothing about ND's ability to beat the teams Alabama LOST TO, unless you go meta, in which case, the top 6 teams in the SEC are all equal since they only lost to each other, and ND would have effectively beaten them all with a win.
Good call. I actually meant to put Georgia. Poster I was responding to was talking about us analyzing A&M, so I had written that for some reason.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
i'm reminded of a shirt i saw one homecoming on the quad when i first started going to games as a kid in the late '70s

"Hail Mary, Full of Grace, Notre Dame in Second Place"

sabanball

All-American
Jan 4, 2006
High Cotton
I don't know, they're a hell of a lot better than the Texas fans so far. They may settle in...
How could you ask for a better BCSNCG? This is a dream match-up for both fanbases with two traditional powers, both with storied history battling for college football's ultimate prize.

The only thing that could make it better would be if ND brought out the green jerseys...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.