ND Fans Seem to be Bi-Polar at This Point

bamafaninOhiO

All-American
May 11, 2010
Dayton, Ohio
Just went over there and it literally took me 3 minutes to find the irrational south bashing and stereotypical thinking that Tide-HSV was referring to.

Amuse yourselves with that all you like. Most of us will probably just choose to stick around here where our uneducated southern minds aren't overloaded by the supreme intelligence factor that seems to exist among the Irish fanbase.
'em Irish fans are some smart folks, yessir,...just ask 'em!

HartselleTider

Suspended
Jan 11, 2012
Well, i went over to the Irishenvy forums.
They have a thread about the A&M game that we lost.

They seem to think they can just copy what A&M did in that game, with Golson playing the part of Johnny Manziel.

I saw that thread too. They're actually "scouting" the Bama/aTm game looking for ways to exploit Alabama.

I'm actually surprised that they could find time to do something like this considering all the time they spend factoring quadratic expressions, discussing the roles of fiscal policy and aggregate demand, and patting themselves on the back.

crmsntd91

1st Team
Sep 30, 2010
It's funny. We struggled with the option last year against LSU, LSU tried to strictly work the option~Failed MISERABLY!!!

We have struggled with the no-huddle this year against LSU, Texas A&M, Georgia a little bit. I see ND trying to replicate this and failing MISERABLY!!!

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Well, i went over to the Irishenvy forums.
They have a thread about the A&M game that we lost.

They seem to think they can just copy what A&M did in that game, with Golson playing the part of Johnny Manziel.
That thinking is so flawed. The media doesn't see the flaw in it, either. That is why it continues to bring up the issues in the A&M game.

How difficult is it for people to watch that game realize "A&M scored 29 points, and 20 of those were in the first quarter." Once the game settled down for Bama (aka adjusting to Scooby's speed), Bama was fine. A&M did not just whip Alabama like they did Auburn. That game was only different from A&M's games against LSU and Florida in one aspect - Alabama gave up 20 points rather than 14 and couldn't come back.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I saw that thread too. They're actually "scouting" the Bama/aTm game looking for ways to exploit Alabama.

I'm actually surprised that they could find time to do something like this considering all the time they spend factoring quadratic expressions, discussing the roles of fiscal policy and aggregate demand, and patting themselves on the back.
Do they even know for sure what they need to do to beat us? I know we are talking about fans (Irish posters) here, but let's just hope Kelly and company are thinking this too.

Are they going to play smash-mouth football OR are they going to try to spread us out and let Golson "try" to be Johnny Football?

Don't think they'll successfully do either, but they better commit to something and get real good at it in the next 30 days.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
That thinking is so flawed. The media doesn't see the flaw in it, either. That is why it continues to bring up the issues in the A&M game.

How difficult is it for people to watch that game realize "A&M scored 29 points, and 20 of those were in the first quarter." Once the game settled down for Bama (aka adjusting to Scooby's speed), Bama was fine. A&M did not just whip Alabama like they did Auburn. That game was only different from A&M's games against LSU and Florida in one aspect - Alabama gave up 20 points rather than 14 and couldn't come back.
Yep. The AJ interception on the second possession really was a back breaker.

CRMSNtide

1st Team
Jul 4, 2011

Also, A&M is top 5 in total offense and scoring offense, has a Heisman type QB.
ND isn't even on the same planet as an offensive team, and im not sure their QB would even start at most SEC schools, maybe Kentucky and Missouri.

HartselleTider

Suspended
Jan 11, 2012
Do they even know for sure what they need to do to beat us? I know we are talking about fans (Irish posters) here, but let's just hope Kelly and company are thinking this too.

Are they going to play smash-mouth football OR are they going to try to spread us out and let Golson "try" to be Johnny Football?

Don't think they'll successfully do either, but they better commit to something and get real good at it in the next 30 days.

Well that's the thing, they don't really have an identity on offense. The identity of their football team is the defense.

The identity of their offense in my opinion, is the versatility of it. They have a 6'6", 250 pound All-American TE that they like to use split out wide to get him matched up on smaller DB's, as opposed to in-line in order to create an extra gap along the LOS and pound the football.

They like to use the Riddick kid as a RB and WR... catching passes out of the backfield matched up on a linebacker, etc.

I'm not sure what they'll commit to in the next 30 days, but I believe they'll "do what they do", so to speak. Their offense relies on matchups as opposed to execution.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
It would be unwise to discount Notre Dame. I respect any team that can run the ball and stop the run.

The difference will likely come down to what QB plays better. In terms of development and consistency, McCarron is far ahead of Golson. Golson, though, will be playing our defense which has been ineffective at rushing passers this season and he's a guy who can extend plays with his feet (though nowhere near the degree Manziel can).

I doubt either team will be able to win by completely relying on their offensive strong suit. They will have to make passes down field to win. In that regard, I think it is close.

TidefaninOS

All-SEC
Feb 14, 2009
Ocean Springs, MS
I think I'll just wait until after the NC game to visit their boards. I want to see what excuses they give for letting a team of "dumb, ignorant, toothless rednecks" whup up on their team of Rhodes scholars. Should be some good'uns!

fundytide

1st Team
Oct 22, 1999
Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
They have a 6'6", 250 pound All-American TE that they like to use split out wide to get him matched up on smaller DB's, as opposed to in-line in order to create an extra gap along the LOS and pound the football.

They like to use the Riddick kid as a RB and WR... catching passes out of the backfield matched up on a linebacker, etc.
So, who would we have covering those two? Moseley on their TE and Geno Smith on Riddick? I'd love to hear what others with a deeper knowledge of our defense think about how they think we would defend ND.

rizolltizide

Hall of Fame
Jan 4, 2003
st pete, fl
Sir, as with many of your posters, we visit other boards too. You have some very good posters here, and some that fall below very good. ND boards have the same, and probably the same proportions.

What I find funny, is this thread is doing the exact same things you're complaining about. Isn't that a bit ironic? They are touting ND on ND boards, and Alabama fans are doing the same thing on Alabama boards. ND fans are taking shots at Alabama, Alabama fans, and trying to entertain themselves until January 7th. I see the exact same things happening on Alabama boards. We're no different than you are. No better and no worse.
The only difference is the object of the affection on a given message board.

Any semi intelligent human being knows, a good education can be obtained at almost any institution of higher learning. It matters little what name is over the front doors. What is important is what you do with the tools they give you, and what you're willing to give. ND boards have their fair share of people who can't grasp that concept, and I'm sure the Alabama boards do too.

I think both fan bases have a healthy fear of the opponent. All of us know, ANYTHING can happen on a given day. I'm sure Alabama fans know people don't take shots at something they couldn't care about. ND fans are worried about Alabama, and rightfully so. Some of them think, if they can find a way to diminish you, they can add some confidence about the game. I'm seeing the same thing on the Alabama boards, which actually surprises me. Your team, and program, is what everyone is striving to be.
Do you have any Grey Poupon? ;)

theballguy

Hall of Fame
Nov 5, 2012
Roll Tide Roll, Colorado USA
This game will be extremely tough for us to win:

We usually don't do well against a 2-dimensional QB
Their rush defense is in the top 5 ... UGA's was #65 or thereabouts
Their front seven plays the rush and they don't need the secondary on rushes.
This will force us to win through the air -- something we don't do well.

If I'm predicting a final score, it's 17-14 Bama and even that barely (wouldn't be surprised if we lost). This will be a very tight game. I hope I end up being made a fool though. Nothing would make me happier.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Yep. The AJ interception on the second possession really was a back breaker.
Yep. Not discrediting A&M's performance by any means, but the stats don't tell the entire story of that game. Watch the film and realize the INT was caused by a perfectly placed helmet. It then resulted in a TD where everyone in the stadium, except Johnny, and watching the game thought Johnny fumbled. He threw to a wide open Swope because Vinnie begins running towards the DL to celebrate the sack.

Jack Bourbon

Hall of Fame
Aug 3, 2001
Miami FL
"On the other side of the ball, our schedule prepared us pretty well for Bama's run D. We faced #2 BYU, #3 Stanford, and #8 MSU. There's definitely something to be said for being battle-tested."

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
"On the other side of the ball, our schedule prepared us pretty well for Bama's run D. We faced #2 BYU, #3 Stanford, and #8 MSU. There's definitely something to be said for being battle-tested."
In what universe is BYU number 2 and Michigan State number 8?

Michigan State stunk this year. Oh and by the way... the worst Nick Saban team of the past 5 years beat the best Michigan State team of the past 40 years 49-7.

crmsntd91

1st Team
Sep 30, 2010
Nick Saban's worst record, not exactly the worst team. I think that team healthy may actually be the most talented to ever walk out behind CNS.

In what universe is BYU number 2 and Michigan State number 8?

Michigan State stunk this year. Oh and by the way... the worst Nick Saban team of the past 5 years beat the best Michigan State team of the past 40 years 49-7.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.