Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    BamaNation First Team BamaBoots's Avatar
    My Mood
    Angelic on TideFans.com

Big A Re: Brett B to Arkansas?

Another good hire!!! Way to go hogs!!!

2. Advertisement

Re: Brett B to Arkansas?

Not surprisingly, media folks are already (rightly) painting this one as another smack in the Big 10's face:

http://www.sundaymorningqb.com/2012/...-hell-freezing

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...&sct=hp_t11_a0

I'm sure Jim Delany is not a happy man.

BamaNation First Team Snuffy Smith's Avatar

Arkansas hires Wisconsin HC Bret Bielema

Hilarious - I am in Milwaukee this week. One of the students they interviewed said "I'm not sure what a razorback is but I think a badger could take it" ?

Huh???? Is that the best reaction they could get from UW? And they wonder why a coach would leave for the SEC

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Snuffy Smith; December 4th, 2012 at 10:22 PM.

BamaNation First Team Snuffy Smith's Avatar

Duplicate iPhone post
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Snuffy Smith; December 4th, 2012 at 10:21 PM.

BamaNation Hall of Fame bamacon's Avatar

Maybe he just likes duck hunting.

My Mood
    BamaVictory on TideFans.com

I think this was a good hire for Arky pigs. Arkansas is Arkansas. They are generally a tough opponent for us. This seems like a coach who can maintain what Arkansas has become over the course of the past decade. As long as we keep doing what we are doing, and LSU and now aTm, Arkansas can hope to finish in the top 3 or 4 in the west and call it a good season. Arky fans will be happy with that. Not necessarily an upgrade from say Petrino, but they didnt hurt themselves any.
    "The only thing I know how to do is to keep on keeping on...." Bob Dylan

Grew up on a hog farm . Should be a good fit ! http://host.madison.com/sports/artic...1aaf506a2.html

I don't know if he's a better coach than Petrino, but he's more accomplished.

This season's title is a joke, but the previous 2 years of him winning the B1G says a lot, as they were a pretty good conference in '10 and '11. He also beat Petrino in '10, that was without Russell Wilson.

I'd say Arkansas hit the nail on the head with this hire. People thought they'd blow it, but they've found themselves a winner. They can say they signed the 3 time current reigning Big 10 champion coach.

Quote Originally Posted by M2J View Post
    This season's title is a joke, but the previous 2 years of him winning the B1G says a lot, as they were a pretty good conference in '10 and '11.
    Well, in the last two years the Big10 has ended with a total of 7 top 25 teams (3 in the top 10) combined. The SEC had 11 top 25 teams (7 in the top 10) during the same time period.

He's a good coach, but considering his reputation wrt his (lack of) recruiting and considering how weak the Big10 has been the past few years relative to what he's stepping into, I'm definitely in the 'wait and see' camp about this hire.

A risky hire, imo.
    DISCLAIMER: I hereby reserve the right to discuss any game on the Alabama schedule I wish, at any time during the season, as I am not a part of the Crimson Tide football program. I am simply a fan who has no impact outside of the money I provide the athletic department via ticket and memorabilia purchases and the energy I can provide when I attend the games. ©2009-2014, crimsonaudio

Lurch Backwater!

This is just a weird hire. He doesn't seem like a SEC type of guy, and you'd have to wonder why he was confident enough to jump from a secure job he probably could have held for decades, to the SEC where they like firing people.

But, this is clearly a better hire than Auburn's. He is a proven head coach.

Here's a Brett on vacation some place warm CLICKY
    It's not rocket surgery!

Quote Originally Posted by KrAzY3 View Post
    This is just a weird hire. He doesn't seem like a SEC type of guy, and you'd have to wonder why he was confident enough to jump from a secure job he probably could have held for decades, to the SEC where they like firing people.

But, this is clearly a better hire than Auburn's. He is a proven head coach.
    That sounds eerily like the views on Mike Price

BamaNation Hall of Fame bamachile's Avatar
    My Mood
    Busy on TideFans.com

O.K. hire for Arky, but a bit of a gamble - several unknowns with BB. He has a decent resume and seems to like physical football. If he hires a good DC and OC, and gets some help with recruiting from his staff, he could make the Hawgs competitive. At worst, I don't think he'll make them worse than Auburn. JMO
    “Louisiana is a fresh-air mental asylum.”
    ― James Lee Burke, Pegasus Descending