Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Re: Brett B to Arkansas?

Here's a good article from a Wisky fan showing the general tone of their fan base right now

http://www.outkickthecoverage.com/ar...6C-RcQ.twitter

can't wait for the Arky/LSU game next year based on everything I've heard about BB's clock management

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation All-American ALA2262's Avatar

"The SEC just added a team that can reliably fill an 80,000-seat stadium, won 10 games in its first year in the conference and is about to produce the first freshman Heisman winner. The Big Ten just added Maryland and Rutgers and pledged to bail out their foundering budget sheets."

http://www.sundaymorningqb.com/2012/...-hell-freezing
    Last edited by ALA2262; December 5th, 2012 at 09:47 AM.

BamaNation All-American

Quote Originally Posted by beardensdaman44 View Post
    Just got a text alert from ESPN saying that he has accepted and it isn't known if he will coach in the Rose Bowl. Good Hire imo but he doesn't scare me from a recruiting or x's and o's standpoint.
    hes a good coach, and a pretty good evaluator of talent as well.
    seems like a pretty decet guy from all ive seen and heard.
    He should do well at Arkansas once he gets himself established in the region...even though I was shocked that he took a job in the SEC...

BamaNation Second Team

Quote Originally Posted by bamafaninOhiO View Post
    hes a good coach, and a pretty good evaluator of talent as well.
    seems like a pretty decet guy from all ive seen and heard.
    He should do well at Arkansas once he gets himself established in the region...even though I was shocked that he took a job in the SEC...
    If a coach wants a shot to win a NC, he HAS to coach in the SEC. BB is a tough-nosed, pro style coach that has produced a top notch running game and good defense. He's another great addition to the SEC. The additions of Freeze, Franklin, and Mullen and Sumlin really make this a very tough division and conference. Scheduling out of conference powder puffs won't matter anymore, as our conference schedule is only getting tougher. If Strong goes to The Vols, sheish.

My Mood
    BamaVictory on TideFans.com

On the surface, this appears to be a solid hire for Arky, but obviously one that also has some risks associated with it as others have mentioned, the main one being recruiting I think. Can he recruit in the SEC/Texas as Texas plays a role in Arky's recruiting, and keep Arky competitive against an ever-growing and strong SEC West teams like Bama, LSU, and now TAMU.
    It's a different culture than the Big10 as well, it will be interesting to see how he adapts.

Beyond that though, I think its a solid hire. He's one of the top Big10 coaches, and has some Rose Bowl appearances/wins, and had his team a game or so away from being in the Nat'l Champ. game last season. His coaching philosophy is power football with good defense which will serve him well in the SEC.

My Mood
    Happy on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by BamaBeta View Post
    Here's a Brett on vacation some place warm CLICKY
    He makes Fred Flintstone look svelte...

My Mood
    Happy on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by ALA2262 View Post
    "The SEC just added a team that can reliably fill an 80,000-seat stadium, won 10 games in its first year in the conference and is about to produce the first freshman Heisman winner. The Big Ten just added Maryland and Rutgers and pledged to bail out their foundering budget sheets."

http://www.sundaymorningqb.com/2012/...-hell-freezing
    Hilarious!!!

BamaNation All-SEC Snuffy Smith's Avatar

Arkansas hires Wisconsin HC Bret Bielema

Quote Originally Posted by BamaBeta View Post
    Here's a Brett on vacation some place warm CLICKY
    That should have come with a warning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BamaNation All-American
    My Mood
    Mellow on TideFans.com

Re: Arkansas hires Wisconsin HC Bret Bielema

Arky did well. IMO Bielema's teams will fit in well with the SEC style of play.

BamaNation Second Team SwineFlew's Avatar

Hi my friends. Just dropping by to read your thoughts about our hire.

I am over the initial shock and have decided I'm quite ok with this hire, if only because I look forward to a disciplined, hard-nosed style of football. I've had time to read a lot about BB and have noticed the balance in his offensive approach. And, of course, he is a defensive guy ---- something we have desperately needed for years.

How all of this translates to our program, only time will tell. While I love the schemes and the change of approach, we still have to secure the bodies to compete. The fact that Partridge is coming along should help us in Florida but I'm hopeful he hires another good recruiter or two. One similarity in the move is that BB seems to have been able to mold a lot of 3-stars into very good players, something he will definitely have to do for us.

I'm quite relieved we did not end up with Gundy, Briles, Dykes et al and am hoping we can begin competing again soon.

Here's to hoping the Tide crushes the Irish next month!

WPS and RTR

BamaNation All-American We_are_Bama's Avatar
    My Mood
    Crappy on TideFans.com

I wonder if he will be under strict instruction to keep the current Arkansas staff in place the way the gus bus is down in lee county.
    When my grandma left this life, I didn't say bye. I said see you later.

RIP, Grandma. Forever in my heart.
    01/04/1926-08/11/2012

My generous employer gives us 104 vacation days a year. They are called Saturday and Sunday.

BamaNation Hall of Fame TideFan in AU's Avatar
    Almost close enough to the pasture to smell it!
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

I like the fact that Arky went out and got a proven coach with lot of success rather hiring a retread like AU. You guys were way more serious about trying to hire the best guy available unlike the barn who chose to stick with someone who they were comfortable with. I think BB can do well there. People forgot the brutal running game that Nutt had for several years, and I'm certain BB will focus more defense than Petrino ever did. Now, as long you piggys keep your dang dirty cloven hooves off Tenpenney, we'll be cool!

BamaNation Second Team SwineFlew's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TideFan in AU View Post
    Now, as long you piggys keep your dang dirty cloven hooves off Tenpenney, we'll be cool!
    For some reason, I don't think losing Tenpenney would impact you guys a lot. I doubt he flips anyway.