Arkansas hires Wisconsin HC Bret Bielema

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Re: Brett B to Arkansas?

This season's title is a joke, but the previous 2 years of him winning the B1G says a lot, as they were a pretty good conference in '10 and '11.
Well, in the last two years the Big10 has ended with a total of 7 top 25 teams (3 in the top 10) combined. The SEC had 11 top 25 teams (7 in the top 10) during the same time period.

He's a good coach, but considering his reputation wrt his (lack of) recruiting and considering how weak the Big10 has been the past few years relative to what he's stepping into, I'm definitely in the 'wait and see' camp about this hire.

A risky hire, imo.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art

This is just a weird hire. He doesn't seem like a SEC type of guy, and you'd have to wonder why he was confident enough to jump from a secure job he probably could have held for decades, to the SEC where they like firing people.

But, this is clearly a better hire than Auburn's. He is a proven head coach.

CapstoneTider

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000

This is just a weird hire. He doesn't seem like a SEC type of guy, and you'd have to wonder why he was confident enough to jump from a secure job he probably could have held for decades, to the SEC where they like firing people.

But, this is clearly a better hire than Auburn's. He is a proven head coach.
That sounds eerily like the views on Mike Price:cool:

bamachile

Hall of Fame
Jul 27, 2007
Oakdale, Louisiana

O.K. hire for Arky, but a bit of a gamble - several unknowns with BB. He has a decent resume and seems to like physical football. If he hires a good DC and OC, and gets some help with recruiting from his staff, he could make the Hawgs competitive. At worst, I don't think he'll make them worse than Auburn. JMO

bamafaninOhiO

All-American
May 11, 2010
Dayton, Ohio

Just got a text alert from ESPN saying that he has accepted and it isn't known if he will coach in the Rose Bowl. Good Hire imo but he doesn't scare me from a recruiting or x's and o's standpoint.
hes a good coach, and a pretty good evaluator of talent as well.
seems like a pretty decet guy from all ive seen and heard.
He should do well at Arkansas once he gets himself established in the region...even though I was shocked that he took a job in the SEC...

TideRush

Scout Team
Jan 4, 2011

hes a good coach, and a pretty good evaluator of talent as well.
seems like a pretty decet guy from all ive seen and heard.
He should do well at Arkansas once he gets himself established in the region...even though I was shocked that he took a job in the SEC...
If a coach wants a shot to win a NC, he HAS to coach in the SEC. BB is a tough-nosed, pro style coach that has produced a top notch running game and good defense. He's another great addition to the SEC. The additions of Freeze, Franklin, and Mullen and Sumlin really make this a very tough division and conference. Scheduling out of conference powder puffs won't matter anymore, as our conference schedule is only getting tougher. If Strong goes to The Vols, sheish.

Crimson Cat

FB Moderator
Nov 26, 2006
Alabama

On the surface, this appears to be a solid hire for Arky, but obviously one that also has some risks associated with it as others have mentioned, the main one being recruiting I think. Can he recruit in the SEC/Texas as Texas plays a role in Arky's recruiting, and keep Arky competitive against an ever-growing and strong SEC West teams like Bama, LSU, and now TAMU.
It's a different culture than the Big10 as well, it will be interesting to see how he adapts.

Beyond that though, I think its a solid hire. He's one of the top Big10 coaches, and has some Rose Bowl appearances/wins, and had his team a game or so away from being in the Nat'l Champ. game last season. His coaching philosophy is power football with good defense which will serve him well in the SEC.

SwineFlew

Scout Team
Sep 16, 2009
Arkansas
Hi my friends. Just dropping by to read your thoughts about our hire.

I am over the initial shock and have decided I'm quite ok with this hire, if only because I look forward to a disciplined, hard-nosed style of football. I've had time to read a lot about BB and have noticed the balance in his offensive approach. And, of course, he is a defensive guy ---- something we have desperately needed for years.

How all of this translates to our program, only time will tell. While I love the schemes and the change of approach, we still have to secure the bodies to compete. The fact that Partridge is coming along should help us in Florida but I'm hopeful he hires another good recruiter or two. One similarity in the move is that BB seems to have been able to mold a lot of 3-stars into very good players, something he will definitely have to do for us.

I'm quite relieved we did not end up with Gundy, Briles, Dykes et al and am hoping we can begin competing again soon.

Here's to hoping the Tide crushes the Irish next month!

WPS and RTR

We_are_Bama

Suspended
Dec 11, 2008
I wonder if he will be under strict instruction to keep the current Arkansas staff in place the way the gus bus is down in lee county. :biggrin:

TideFan in AU

Hall of Fame
I like the fact that Arky went out and got a proven coach with lot of success rather hiring a retread like AU. You guys were way more serious about trying to hire the best guy available unlike the barn who chose to stick with someone who they were comfortable with. I think BB can do well there. People forgot the brutal running game that Nutt had for several years, and I'm certain BB will focus more defense than Petrino ever did. Now, as long you piggys keep your dang dirty cloven hooves off Tenpenney, we'll be cool! ;)

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.