Arkansas hires Wisconsin HC Bret Bielema

Rush

All-American
Jul 5, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Re: Brett B to Arkansas?

Does anyone know whether the compensation package for the Arkansas job includes a motorcycle, along with a hoochie mama?

:)

BAMA1979

All-American
Nov 15, 2006
Mobile

edsbs ‏@edsbs
oh man Bret Bielema complained about Urban's recruiting whooooohoooo that's gone be fun in the SEC

dam Hoge ‏@AdamHogeCBS
Bret Bielema last winter: "We at the Big Ten don’t want to be like the SEC—in any way, shape or form.”

edsbs ‏@edsbs
Bret Bielema is gonna get forklift fat.
What's the over/under on how long it takes Bielema to forget all about his "gentleman's agreement" beliefs and make a visit to see Alton Tenpenny? I'm guessing it won't take him long.

Rush

All-American
Jul 5, 2011
Ontario, Canada

I'll also be interested to see how his penchant for running up the score goes over in the SEC.

Assuming, of course, that he has the opportunity to do so...

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net

I'll also be interested to see how his penchant for running up the score goes over in the SEC.

Assuming, of course, that he has the opportunity to do so...
I suspect it will be a while before we find out, at least against SEC opponents.

Wisconsin's Sagarin SOS ranking under CBB:
2006: 82 record: 12-1
2007: 57 record: 9-4
2008: 52 record: 7-6
2009: 64 record: 10-3
2010: 66 record: 11-2
2011: 44 record: 11-3
2012: 38 record: 8-5

He dominates when the SOS is worse than 60th (.846) but not so great when playing a SOS higher than 60th (.603).

GP for Bama

All-American
Feb 3, 2011

Good resume'. Good hire for Arky. Surprised Wisconsin let him go.

Snuffy Smith

All-American
Sep 12, 2012
Huntsville, AL
I am in Milwaukee this week and the general consensus around my office was good riddance. Comments included:

He was 4-4 this year, he is lucky to be in the Rose Bowl

He coasted on what Alvarez left him

He has never been a very good game coach.
Amazing how little they know about the SEC up here. One sports reporter said "I'm shocked - the Arkansas job has only been open a week. I might understand that from a fan but you would figure a reporter would keep up with college football. Oh well - it's not the Packers so probably not noteworthy to this bunch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:

CapstoneTider

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000

I'm definitely not an expert, but I think it will be way easier to recruit at Arkansas than Wisconsin just because of the location and conference. The weather is terrible in Wisconsin.
Very good point. You have to compare him to other coaches at the school and a wiki search took about 5 seconds to see that he is in the top 90%. 68-24 is pretty good compared to most all the others and he's going to his 3rd straight Rose Bowl?

Some people see Steve Spurrier as slipping because of his record at SC, but when you look deeper you see that he's doing some of the best coaching of his life.

Of course the Badgers are going to rip him for bailing, that's human nature. I believe it's a solid hire.

RollTideMang

All-American
Oct 16, 2009
St. Louis, MO

Definitely did not see this coming. I love watching the coaching carousel...it's always so interesting to see who gets hired. I wonder who Wisky goes after now.

gtowntide

All-American
Mar 1, 2011
Memphis,TN.

You can bet he'll go after Tenpenny. I hope we hang on to him, though with the guys we have coming in, I'm not too worried.

BAMA1979

All-American
Nov 15, 2006
Mobile

Definitely did not see this coming. I love watching the coaching carousel...it's always so interesting to see who gets hired. I wonder who Wisky goes after now.
I'm going to take a guess and say Paul Chryst. He was the OC at Wisconsin until he got the head coaching job at Pitt after last season. He might not leave Pitt after just one season, but Todd Graham did.

Snuffy Smith

All-American
Sep 12, 2012
Huntsville, AL
Hilarious - I am in Milwaukee this week. One of the students they interviewed said "I'm not sure what a razorback is but I think a badger could take it" ?

Huh???? Is that the best reaction they could get from UW? And they wonder why a coach would leave for the SEC

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

bnhonest

All-SEC
May 28, 2003
Vestavia Hills, Al, USA

I think this was a good hire for Arky pigs. Arkansas is Arkansas. They are generally a tough opponent for us. This seems like a coach who can maintain what Arkansas has become over the course of the past decade. As long as we keep doing what we are doing, and LSU and now aTm, Arkansas can hope to finish in the top 3 or 4 in the west and call it a good season. Arky fans will be happy with that. Not necessarily an upgrade from say Petrino, but they didnt hurt themselves any.

M2J

All-American
Jan 28, 2007

I don't know if he's a better coach than Petrino, but he's more accomplished.

This season's title is a joke, but the previous 2 years of him winning the B1G says a lot, as they were a pretty good conference in '10 and '11. He also beat Petrino in '10, that was without Russell Wilson.

I'd say Arkansas hit the nail on the head with this hire. People thought they'd blow it, but they've found themselves a winner. They can say they signed the 3 time current reigning Big 10 champion coach.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.