Link: Auburn hires Ark. St. HC Gus Malzahn

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Re: Apparently Auburn hires gus

This was a comment on Scarbinsky's Facebook page about his article. Enjoy.

Current State of SEC Football (subject to change when the NFL teams go coach hunting in coming weeks):

1 Alabama- Still enjoying their Saban run. Saban is creating a great legacy that will make it very tough going when Bama has to seek a repacement. (
See Bama coaching searches from 1982-2007)

2 LSU- Stuck in the mud with Les. Still wishing they had paid any amount necessary to have held on to Saban.

3 Georgia- Stuck in the mud with Mark. There is no hope for this program to rise above perennial runner-up status. Richt is like an old car that starts first-time, every-time, except when you are really in a hurry to get somewhere important.

4 Auburn- Back to the future with the Gus. Opposing defenses will need to bring extra oxygen tanks to the Auburn game. He has got to get big recruiting results- QUICKLY. The state of Georgia is now wide open with confidence in Richt and the Georgia program waning.

5 Florida- Muschamp is about as emotionally stable as Hitchcock's Norman Bates. Implosion is imminent. Stay back!

6 Arkansas- Apparently the Arkansas administration is even crazier than Muschamp is. Coach Bulimia? Who? He wants to coach in Wisconsin's bowl game? How did this program get into the SEC?

7 Tennessee- Still searching for a head coach. They think they have one, but I don't think so.

8 South Carolina- The nursing home for old coaches who just don't quite have that edge anymore. How did THIS program get into the SEC.

9 Texas A&M- A real threat to everybody. Most deserving SEC newcomer ever.

10 Ole Miss, MSU, Kentucky, Vandy- You throw these four in a brown paper sack and you basically have the SURPRISE BAG for girls and boys sold at DOLLAR TREE. These are places for coaches who are either on their way up or on their way down. If you coach for one of these, you might as well live out of an RV.

Crimson Cat

FB Moderator
Nov 26, 2006
Alabama
A few lines in Scab's article contradict what Jess said in his post. I believe Jess.
Yeah, my take on that is, you don't usually go into an interview making demands, UNLESS you are offered the job or are in serious negotiations, a detail Scab ignored...I definitely believe Smart was offered the job and said he'd probably take it, but only under those circumstances.

It was said Malzahn had a "plan" that he presented and was seemingly accepting of *ubarns version of potential ncaa fallout among other things...Petrino didn't apparently get a shot to present a plan or discuss anything else but address personal issues in a phone call.

IMHO, they got another guy that will allow "business as usual" on the plains, with no real change from within, and it was a predictable hire.
I'm very glad Smart didn't take it on their terms, because I think he'll land a better (or least as good in terms of the institution itself) gig if he stays patient; One that doesn't have so much unrest surrounding the football program.
That's my take.

bamagradinATL

All-American
Sep 12, 2006
McKinney, TX
It was said Malzahn had a "plan" that he presented and was seemingly accepting of *ubarns version of potential ncaa fallout among other things...
That makes me wonder how much Malzahn knows about the pending NCAA investigation. Why would *U refuse to disclose the details to Smart?

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Why would *U refuse to disclose the details to Smart?
Well, if there's nothing to hide, no reason at all.

If there is something to hide, they either feared it would scare Smart off or that he'd turn them down and use it against them wrt recruiting (though I'm told we don't negatively recruit) - or both.

Also, remember this - Malzahn wanted Newton, Cheezit didn't. You think Malzahn is unaware of how $cam got to the barn?

tru2bama

Scout Team
Sep 19, 2004
Birmimgham, AL
Re: Apparently Auburn hires gus

That nutcase practically insures Gus will be the hardest working HC in America...........
Now that she's the crown and key to the caddy I expect her to go right off the edge. She hates Bama and coach and is jealous of Mrs. Saban. I expect nothing but venom every time she is given the opportunity.

westide

All-SEC
Jan 22, 2011
Re: My black helicopter theory about Gus and AU

The Barn and the Mafia like to keep things in the family. I can only think that hiring a coach that was on the Barn's staff when possible NCAA infractions took place will only add fuel to the fire of NCAA's wrath.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa

The Malzahn hire at Auburn was a great thing for Alabama, and could get even better.

First, his offense has been sniffed out. Unless you have a Heisman-caliber QB running it, it doesn’t win at the top levels of competition. It just seems more effective to our local talking heads and ink-stained wretches because Tim Tebow, Cam Newton and Johnny Manziel have all been in our back yard.

It does give the best chance for a soft team to run up big stats against lesser competition, and to score the odd upset. But it’s not a consistent winner at the championship-contending level.

Without Cam, the offensive juggernaut run by this guru with mystical powers went 16-10 overall, 7-9 in the SEC, including 0-8 against Alabama, Georgia, LSU and Arkansas. You could make a case that, sans Cam, it actually got worse against the good teams over time. Average margin of defeat against the Big 4 was 13.5 points in 2009, but a whopping 31 points in 2011.

In the two years Malzahn ran Auburn’s offense without Cam, they won one SEC game against a team with a winning conference record – an inexplicable win against a good South Carolina team in 2011. The combined overall regular season record of their SEC victims during this time frame was 44-40.

But most tellingly, the combined SEC record of Auburn’s 2009 and 2011 SEC victims was 22-34. Other than the fluke South Carolina win, it was 16-32.

In the third year of running this high-powered offense of the future -- a time by which any sane person would say the unstoppable machine should be hitting on all cylinders -- they averaged 11 points a game against Alabama, LSU, Arkansas and Georgia.

This is not an offense to be feared by anyone other than Auburn fans.

If, as many expect, he retains Trooper and Luper, expect discipline problems of all sorts – classroom issues, lack of conditioning, mental lapses, legal troubles up to and including felony convictions, etc. – to continue.

Jacobs is still there. Dye is still there. Jackson is still there. The NCAA is still there. Trooper and Luper might still be there.

Guys, you can’t make this stuff up. Nothing has changed here. SNASS, and will until at least three years after they clean house…which they give no indication of doing.

We_are_Bama

Suspended
Dec 11, 2008

Add to that the fact that he will be keeping Loeffler and Van Gorder, just as he has been instructed to do.

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL

The Malzahn hire at Auburn was a great thing for Alabama, and could get even better.

First, his offense has been sniffed out. Unless you have a Heisman-caliber QB running it, it doesn’t win at the top levels of competition. It just seems more effective to our local talking heads and ink-stained wretches because Tim Tebow, Cam Newton and Johnny Manziel have all been in our back yard.

It does give the best chance for a soft team to run up big stats against lesser competition, and to score the odd upset. But it’s not a consistent winner at the championship-contending level.

Without Cam, the offensive juggernaut run by this guru with mystical powers went 16-10 overall, 7-9 in the SEC, including 0-8 against Alabama, Georgia, LSU and Arkansas. You could make a case that, sans Cam, it actually got worse against the good teams over time. Average margin of defeat against the Big 4 was 13.5 points in 2009, but a whopping 31 points in 2011.

In the two years Malzahn ran Auburn’s offense without Cam, they won one SEC game against a team with a winning conference record – an inexplicable win against a good South Carolina team in 2011. The combined overall regular season record of their SEC victims during this time frame was 44-40.

But most tellingly, the combined SEC record of Auburn’s 2009 and 2011 SEC victims was 22-34. Other than the fluke South Carolina win, it was 16-32.

In the third year of running this high-powered offense of the future -- a time by which any sane person would say the unstoppable machine should be hitting on all cylinders -- they averaged 11 points a game against Alabama, LSU, Arkansas and Georgia.

This is not an offense to be feared by anyone other than Auburn fans.

If, as many expect, he retains Trooper and Luper, expect discipline problems of all sorts – classroom issues, lack of conditioning, mental lapses, legal troubles up to and including felony convictions, etc. – to continue.

Jacobs is still there. Dye is still there. Jackson is still there. The NCAA is still there. Trooper and Luper might still be there.

Guys, you can’t make this stuff up. Nothing has changed here. SNASS, and will until at least three years after they clean house…which they give no indication of doing.
His system set Auburn offensive records with Chris Todd, a scrub quarterback left over from Tony Franklin. His system was #1 in the NCAA at Tulsa without a Heisman candidate at QB (or top flight competition, granted). It's well known that Gus' offense was restrained by Chizik to protect the defense. I'm not predicting championships for Auburn any time soon, but his offenses will be dangerous, and they will be able to recruit to the offense with ease. Their D is liable to continue to be rancid, though.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa

The way I see it:

Auburn won't be as good as the faithful hope they can be in regards to conference contention, but they won't be as bad as their rivals are anticipating after the hire.

His offense has worked at a lot of places but people underrate just how mismanaged the QB depth chart was at Auburn. They took two straight JUCO transfers, kicked the guys from the Tuberville era to the curb, and missed on a few guys who they recruited themselves. It left them with Mosley - who I'm sure was a good guy who practiced hard - and Fraizer whom I thought was a developmental guy rather than a day one game changer. With the roster turnover from the 2010 team being so great, they struggled because they didn't have a QB who could lift them over the inexperience.

I think Malzahn will rebuild Fraizer or Wallace into a good QB for them and they'll be a pretty solid offensive unit in 2013. I think he'll get them to a bowl game in year one. The issue with Malzahn is that I just don't get the feeling he is going to build a program that can contend for titles. This will be a program that will win 6 off the bat because of their tempo and physicality of running out the shotgun. They probably won't have the defense to handle the more complete team but they will be able to catch a few teams in a down year or simply upset a team or two each year. I think 9 or 10 wins is their ceiling while occasionally catching Alabama with a little immaturity on defense and upsetting them. I guess that is good enough at Auburn.

happytidefan

All-SEC
Jul 24, 2008
Columbus, Mississippi

I wondered about disclosures too. Did the Barn have to disclose to Kirby (and the others) that a possible NCAA infraction may be coming down and state the grounds for any possible sanctions? Seems to me those would be important matters for any "prospective" coach to know and discuss with his prospective future employer.

Crimson Cat

FB Moderator
Nov 26, 2006
Alabama

I wondered about disclosures too. Did the Barn have to disclose to Kirby (and the others) that a possible NCAA infraction may be coming down and state the grounds for any possible sanctions? Seems to me those would be important matters for any "prospective" coach to know and discuss with his prospective future employer.
You only have to look at Miami/Golden to see a prime example of that. I bet Golden wishes he'd stayed put, lol...

I'm thinking *ubarn has/is trying to gloss it over as best they can, and for sure, nothing may come of it. But any coach worth his salt is going to ask. Malzahn obviously has a measure of trust with the AD, having coached there, and believed whatever *ubarn told him about the situation.

CaliforniaTide

All-American
Aug 9, 2006
Huntsville, AL

If Auburn would just focus on themselves and their team, winning 8-9 game/year (which is possible with AU IMO) isn't a bad thing. But they'll always compare themselves to Alabama, and will make every single occasional upset of the Tide as "a sign of things to come!" Despite the records that Malzahn set with any QB, they still need some luck to win 7 games with Cam Newton as QB, and since Cam Newton left, they haven't scored a single offensive point on the Tide. The one area of JessN's analysis that I disagree with is whether or not Auburn has given up. I think they feel with Malzahn, they'll return to 2010 levels, which is laughable. To me, the 2010 was an outlier of a season where a team with the type of offense they run and the overall crappy defense they had that season actually won.

We_are_Bama

Suspended
Dec 11, 2008

do we know he's been instructed to keep them?
It is sure looking that way. I would be stunned if they let him do his own hiring. The powers that be love the staff that is in place and basically feel like a new yes man was all that was required for the program to get back on track.

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009

do we know he's been instructed to keep them?
Since their "firing" hasn't been made official, it is open to question what is going on, but...it's the barn, it's what they do.

TUSKaloosa

3rd Team
Aug 18, 2002
Cleveland, Ohio, USA

thought I'd use my first post to put out a wild theory I have about Gus, AU and the NCAA.

I read that one of the AU requirements that scarred off potential coaches was to keep Trooper as recruiting coordinator. If that is true and AU brings Gus home and you remember how AU handled the Cam affair, it makes me wonder if they are getting everybody who knows the truth (and isn't getting a buy-out that has a do not talk clause) back on the Plains so they can circle the wagons when the LOI comes?

Now, how's that for a theory?
Plausible!

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL

There is no way they make Gus retain Scot Loeffler. Loeffler will be looking for a new job very soon.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.