Link: Auburn hires Ark. St. HC Gus Malzahn

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
Re: My black helicopter theory about Gus and AU

thought I'd use my first post to put out a wild theory I have about Gus, AU and the NCAA.

I read that one of the AU requirements that scarred off potential coaches was to keep Trooper as recruiting coordinator. If that is true and AU brings Gus home and you remember how AU handled the Cam affair, it makes me wonder if they are getting everybody who knows the truth (and isn't getting a buy-out that has a do not talk clause) back on the Plains so they can circle the wagons when the LOI comes?
Now, how's that for a theory?
For a 'Rookie', you play a good game... :)
Good first post.
Welcome to TideFans.

Your theory sounds pretty reasonable to me.

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
Re: Apparently Auburn hires gus

If the Lupe Troop doesn't get a call back, only thing left for them is either retirement in Monte Carlo via bingo money, or spillin' it for a book deal. I honestly don't think any BCS school would even consider either one, ESPECIALLY if they prove to be dirty like we all are convinced they are. Especially Trooper....he has left a trail of fecal matter everywhere he's been.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011

Charles Barkley was quiet during this search. I'm surprised he didn't push for them to consider a minority coach. After that being such a big deal last time, nobody even made a peep about it this time.

Nolan

Hall of Fame
Jul 4, 2006
Oahu

If I were the goobers I would have done whatever it took to get Charlie Strong.

This hire feels like a joke almost.

We_are_Bama

Suspended
Dec 11, 2008

Gus just fired the entire group of assistants that were left over from the Chiz error. If Gus is taking charge then color me impressed for the time being. Regardless, who ordered the code red, I think it was absolutely the right call.

Kleph from rbr I think said it best for me.
Gus showing some gumption and not just being the next yes man to patrick dye. So, basically, he has already done more in two days than his predecessor did in four years.

We_are_Bama

Suspended
Dec 11, 2008

Well, if Ellis Johnson is the new DC, why is Van Gorder being retained, as you say?
Something had come out at first about the string pullers making him keep the staff in place. Either that was false, or Gus showed some intestinal fortitude and told them what they could do with that idea. I hope it's the latter. I can just picture the look on patrick's and bobby's faces when someone finally tells them to back off.

tidefaninvr

3rd Team
Sep 15, 2007

So EJ is hired as the DC @ $800k per year for 3 years. CGM is hired as head coach for $2.3 mil a year for 5 years BUT only $500k is base salary and the other is incentives. Looks like the bean counters are all over this one now that they have to shell out $11 mil for the buy out.

Wonder how much they will have left for the rest of the staff?

We_are_Bama

Suspended
Dec 11, 2008

Aurbren just hired a new head coach and the only thing barn fans are worried about is keeping Trooper Taylor so they can hold on to a couple of recruits. unreal
They can stop worrying. Trooper is a memory there now.

We_are_Bama

Suspended
Dec 11, 2008

How many offensive and defensive coordinators has *U had in the last decade? Heck, in less than a decade for that matter! Going back to just 8 years ago when cheese was their DC, this is just the DC's they have had. Chizik, David Gibbs, Will Muschamp, Paul Rhoades, Ted Roof, Brian VanGorder, and now Ellis Johnson. The list of OC's during that same time is just as long.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

So EJ is hired as the DC @ $800k per year for 3 years. CGM is hired as head coach for $2.3 mil a year for 5 years BUT only $500k is base salary and the other is incentives. Looks like the bean counters are all over this one now that they have to shell out $11 mil for the buy out.

Wonder how much they will have left for the rest of the staff?
Where did you see that Gus's base salary is $500,000? Would like to see a breakdown of his entire salary.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

Talking to a coworker this morning about the AU coaching staff. He said Gus wants to bring Rhett Lashlee to AU as his OC. That doesn't surprise me. I saw a tweet from College Football Rumor Mill that said ASU will have Lashlee high on their coaching list.

The Aub coworker wanted to know more about Lashlee, so we looked up his bio on Arkansas State's website. This guy must have a permanent first row seat on the Gus Bus...

Lashlee comes to ASU after serving as the offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach in 2011 at Samford, where he installed a high-tempo offense that improved the Bulldog's national ranking in total offense from No. 57 in the nation to No. 36 over the course of just one year. Samford's offense averaged 17 points per game the year prior to Lashlee's arrival, but put 28 points per game on the scoreboard in 2011 to help the Bulldogs improve their record from 4-7 to 6-5.

Lashlee has spent five of the last eight seasons working closely with Malzahn and his offense in a variety of capacities, including the 2009 and 2010 seasons as an offensive graduate assistant at Auburn.

Prior to working at Auburn, Lashlee's college coaching career began in 2006 at Arkansas, where he served as Offensive Student Graduate Assistant while working with Malzahn. He helped lead the Razorbacks to a 10-4 record and an SEC Western Division championship behind Heisman Trophy runner-up Darren McFadden and fellow All-American Felix Jones. Prior to working at Arkansas, he worked under Malzahn at Springdale High School in Arkansas in 2004 and 2005, working with the quarterbacks and 2005 Gatorade, Parade Magazine and Rivals.com National Player of the Year, Mitch Mustain.

Lashlee was a backup quarterback at the University of Arkansas from 2002-04, when his career was cut short due to a shoulder injury.

Prior to attending Arkansas, Lashlee graduated from Shiloh Christian high school in Springdale, Ark. in 2002. He played quarterback for Malzahn and Chris Wood at Shiloh Christian High School from 1999-2001, posting a state-record 40 career wins (40-3-2 as a starter) while leading his team to three straight state championship game appearances that included two state titles. He was also named the 2001 AP Arkansas Player of the Year. To date he still owns virtually every state passing record and when his career had finished he had broken the national record for career touchdown passes (171), career touchdowns (200), most passing yards in a game (672) and was second with 13,201 passing yards.

Lashlee graduated from the University of Arkansas in 2006 with a degree in Marketing and Business Administration. He received his Masters degree in Higher Education from Auburn University in 2009.
Should we really be surprised that Pat Sullivan wanted to hire his former OC's mentor?

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.