Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Suspended
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Relaxed on TideFans.com

Why are so many under the opinion that Coach Smart is itching to leave?

Does anyone else share my opinion that Coach Smart at 36, an alumni of Georgia, whose peers are all in the south and has one of the top coordinator jobs in the country under the NCAA's best coach, is not really itching to move on, so there is no reason to assume that he is interested in every middle of the pack job that opens up across the country?

I believe he will wait for the next round of SEC openings or become the next coach at Alabama. I do not believe we have to worry ourselves about him leaving anymore this year. My opinion.

Any thoughts?

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation First Team Bluegrasstide's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Mellow on TideFans.com

Re: Why are so many under the opinion that Coach Smart is itching to leave?

Good question. Maybe he is a Bud Foster or Mickey Andrews. One thing is for sure, he is an excellent fit in Ttown.

Suspended
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Relaxed on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by Bluegrasstide View Post
    Good question. Maybe he is a Bud Foster or Mickey Andrews. One thing is for sure, he is an excellent fit in Ttown.
    He could be. but at 36 he has a long way to go . He seems to have a great time running a defense and not having to stand stoically on the sidelines. He's young and has plenty of time, why not continue to ride this dynasty to its conclusion?

BamaNation All-American bamabelle1991's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

I agree with you, CapstoneTider. Sure, I was freaking out this morning upon hearing the rumors, but my gut said he would never be that stupid, no matter how much money may have been on the table. For some people, coaching isn't ALL about the money. CKS made a wise decision!

Suspended
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Relaxed on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by bamabelle1991 View Post
    I agree with you, CapstoneTider. Sure, I was freaking out this morning upon hearing the rumors, but my gut said he would never be that stupid, no matter how much money may have been on the table. For some people, coaching isn't ALL about the money. CKS made a wise decision!
    We think alike. I would have been absolutely shocked if he took this job. It just felt all wrong. I really believe he is very happy as the DC at a storied program in dynasty mode and it will take a really, really good offer in the next 4 years to move him out of it.

BamaNation Hall of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Inspired on TideFans.com

This is my opinion as well. I do not think it's out of the realm of possibility that he could take over when Nick Saban retires. I also do not think it's out of the realm of possibility that he's been told: you'll get the job if you stick around. Not in contractual terms, but just a heads up that he's the first in line when Coach Saban leaves.

Either way, he's in a position to be extremely picky and I think he will be. Especially if Muschamp continues to succeed at Florida.

Suspended
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Relaxed on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by TideEngineer08 View Post
    This is my opinion as well. I do not think it's out of the realm of possibility that he could take over when Nick Saban retires. I also do not think it's out of the realm of possibility that he's been told: you'll get the job if you stick around. Not in contractual terms, but just a heads up that he's the first in line when Coach Saban leaves.

Either way, he's in a position to be extremely picky and I think he will be. Especially if Muschamp continues to succeed at Florida.
    Could not have said it better, really. I am in total agreement about a possible internal agreement. We are going to have the Shadow of Saban like the Shadow of the Bear anyway.

BamaNation Hall of Fame cbi1972's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Shocked on TideFans.com

I wouldn't say he is "itching to leave" but he's the one of the top assistants in the country (Broyles award in 2009), with extensive experience with a system that is a proven success, so opportunities are going to be coming his way for the foreseeable future. Saban has a history of encouraging his assistants in their careers, so the next step would naturally be a head coaching gig somewhere else. Of course there is going to be speculation.
    Audemus jura nostra defendere
    "When a loaf of bread looks like a banquet, I've no right buying tobacco. " - Grandpa Joe

Suspended
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Relaxed on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by cbi1972 View Post
    I wouldn't say he is "itching to leave" but he's the one of the top assistants in the country (Broyles award in 2009), with extensive experience with a system that is a proven success, so opportunities are going to be coming his way for the foreseeable future. Saban has a history of encouraging his assistants in their careers, so the next step would naturally be a head coaching gig somewhere else. Of course there is going to be speculation.
    I believe that is the reason that everyone assumes he wants to leave. Simply being happy were you are can override all of that. And I believe that to be the case. If not he would have already been hired imo.

BamaNation Hall of Fame Alasippi's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't think he's "itching to leave" at all . I think anyone, including Coach Smart would be totally insane to not explore every possible legitimate opportunity to enhance their careers, their lives and the lives of their families.

When I took my first radio job in 1981 I grew to love my station and all my co-workers, and the experience I gained was invaluable. My primary mentor was the General Manager who gave me that opportunity.
    But when the competitive station across town offered to double my salary you better believe I agreed to sit down and listen to their offer.
    I took it because my wife and I wanted to have kids and a house rather than a one bedroom apartment.
    My GM not only understood he encouraged me and we remain great friends to this day.

Coach Smart isn't coaching at Alabama because he grew up wanting to coach at Alabama. He's coaching at Alabama because it was an opportunity he felt he couldn't pass up at the time. Coach Saban understands this and so should Tide fans as well.

If a better opportunity comes along in his opinion then Kirby may take it. If he does I don't blame him one bit and I'll wish him nothing but the best.

sip

Suspended
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Relaxed on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by Alasippi View Post
    I don't think he's "itching to leave" at all . I think anyone, including Coach Smart would be totally insane to not explore every possible legitimate opportunity to enhance their careers, their lives and the lives of their families.

When I took my first radio job in 1981 I grew to love my station and all my co-workers, and the experience I gained was invaluable. My primary mentor was the General Manager who gave me that opportunity.
    But when the competitive station across town offered to double my salary you better believe I agreed to sit down and listen to their offer.
    I took it because my wife and I wanted to have kids and a house rather than a one bedroom apartment.
    My GM not only understood he encouraged me and we remain great friends to this day.

Coach Smart isn't coaching at Alabama because he grew up wanting to coach at Alabama. He's coaching at Alabama because it was an opportunity he felt he couldn't pass up at the time. Coach Saban understands this and so should Tide fans as well.

If a better opportunity comes along in his opinion then Kirby may take it. If he does I don't blame him one bit and I'll wish him nothing but the best.

sip
    Yes but the definition of what he believes will enhance his career varies greatly among many of us. At this time I believe it to be a Georgia, Alabama type position. Anywhere outside the south would have to be extraordinary. What are the chances that coach Saban and the program is going to crumble? I don't see his "hitting while it's hot" as a small window but one that will be open for the next 6-8 years.

We don;t need to worry about him going to the Mississippi State when Mullen leaves type jobs for the next few years. Just my opinion.

BamaNation Hall of Fame Alasippi's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CapstoneTider View Post
    Yes but the definition of what he believes will enhance his career varies greatly among many of us. At this time I believe it to be a Georgia, Alabama type position. Anywhere outside the south would have to be extraordinary. What are the chances that coach Saban and the program is going to crumble? I don't see his "hitting while it's hot" as a small window but one that will be open for the next 6-8 years.

We don;t need to worry about him going to the Mississippi State when Mullen leaves type jobs for the next few years. Just my opinion.
    I agree completely CT, I'm just saying you can't blame him nor anyone for listening to the offer and the job opportunity. Personally I think he would not have taken the Auburn job even if they offered him 5 million a year because it is a total no win for him.

First of all there's the possibility of pending NCAA trouble.

Secondly, I truly believe he would have tried to implement the Saban process he has learned under. That mind set may have scared off the majority of players on their current team.

Thirdly, in order to implement that process you have to recruit great players, that simple. THAT takes time. AUBURN, obviously doesn't give coaches very much time.

Fourthly, I think he truly believes, as I do, that he will be our next head coach. Why in the world would you jeopardize that possibility by jumping from an Air Craft Carrier to a sinking canoe?

All that said....you still gotta listen to what other folks have to say...that's all I was sayin.

By the way, I lasted one year at that competitive station and hated it so bad that I started the business I'm still in today, so you're right, a move "up" isn't always a move "up".

sip

BamaNation First Team
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Fine on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by Bluegrasstide View Post
    Don't know much about Mickey Andrews but Foster and Smart don't belong in the same sentence. There are several reasons Foster is a long time assistant and I can't believe any of those reasons apply to Smart.