Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: Why are so many under the opinion that Coach Smart is itching to leave?

ESPN says he is supposed to get a HC job so maybe that's it. He does have one of the best assistant jobs in the country. It seems like the media almost gets upset at coaches who are happy with their job, even if it is not the head job at a major power.

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation Hall of Fame JBama_in_PCOLA's Avatar
    Andalusia, Alabama via Pensacola, Florida United States
    My Mood
    Mellow on TideFans.com

Why are so many under the opinion that Coach Smart is itching to leave?

Quote Originally Posted by CapstoneTider View Post
    Does anyone else share my opinion that Coach Smart at 36, an alumni of Georgia, whose peers are all in the south and has one of the top coordinator jobs in the country under the NCAA's best coach, is not really itching to move on, so there is no reason to assume that he is interested in every middle of the pack job that opens up across the country?

I believe he will wait for the next round of SEC openings or become the next coach at Alabama. I do not believe we have to worry ourselves about him leaving anymore this year. My opinion.

Any thoughts?
    We just want him to stay so badly...
    ROLL TIDE!

Quote Originally Posted by Alasippi View Post
    I agree completely CT, I'm just saying you can't blame him nor anyone for listening to the offer and the job opportunity. Personally I think he would not have taken the Auburn job even if they offered him 5 million a year because it is a total no win for him......
    You made some good points. I also believe it's harder for defensive coaches to get things started. First they have less control over the actual game, more of a philosophy. But once it's constructed, it's more sound. Petrino at Arkansa is a perfect example of winning fast with an offensive guru and the ramifications when he leaves. And losing recruits to sanctions would make it that much harder. It would have been career suicide.

I share your opinion that he will be the next coach or believes it. The Shadow of Coach Saban is going to be huge, and he would be a good bridge at the least, but hopefully a long term solution.

Kids today will look at Coach Saban like many of us did Coach Bryant, and Coach Bryant will be like how we view Wallace Wade....the really old days.

Quote Originally Posted by JBama_in_PCOLA View Post
    We just want him to stay so badly...
    These coach in waiting gigs never seem to work out. I still believe the university will walk around the block a few times before it ever hires the loyal assistant with no head-guy experience. Muschamp offers the counter point of view

Those of y'all with day-to-day ties with the university might be able to answer this: Is there any kind of unspoken understanding with Kirby? Or does he have to leave to come back?

BamaNation Hall of Fame Alasippi's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonEyeshade View Post
    These coach in waiting gigs never seem to work out. I still believe the university will walk around the block a few times before it ever hires the loyal assistant with no head-guy experience. Muschamp offers the counter point of view

Those of y'all with day-to-day ties with the university might be able to answer this: Is there any kind of unspoken understanding with Kirby? Or does he have to leave to come back?

I personally don't think he's guaranteed anything at all but that's just my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Alasippi View Post
    I personally don't think he's guaranteed anything at all but that's just my opinion.
    If he was, the 2012 way is internal. The days of the high profile public coach in waiting is over I think. But I would not be surprised if there are several assistants around the country at successful programs with good relations with their head coaches that have been given the wink and a handshake.
    You see this in the corporate world down the the hamburger shop assistant.

BamaNation First Team Bluegrasstide's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mellow on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by VirginiaTide57 View Post
    Don't know much about Mickey Andrews but Foster and Smart don't belong in the same sentence. There are several reasons Foster is a long time assistant and I can't believe any of those reasons apply to Smart.
    Foster has had his days... But that is a discussion for another day. I was referring more to longevity in a coordinator position.

BamaNation Hall of Fame IH8Orange's Avatar
    My Mood
    Volatile on TideFans.com

I think that when the right opportunity presents itself, Smart will be ready. At the moment, he appears to enjoy his role and he's gaining invaluable mentorship from the best coach in college football. There are flaws with all of the openings at the moment:

• Auburn is possibly facing NCAA penalties and I also doubt that Smart wants to face Saban as the coach of his primary rival. It's also well documented that boosters exert undue influence over that program and that should be concerning to any candidate for that position.
    • Tennessee is in turmoil and shares a conference division with three rivals (Georgia, Florida, South Carolina) that are playing at a very high level along with an in-state rival (Vanderbilt) that is beginning to pick up steam. Tennessee gets decent talent most of the time and has a winning tradition over the years, but it seems to be falling further behind the remainder of the division. It doesn't sound like an award-winning situation for a first-time job.
    • Kentucky only cares about basketball... enough said.
    • Arkansas is another situation where turmoil seems to have a favored seat at the table. Houston Nutt had fans snooping through his phone records and then his replacement goes easy riding with his engaged (not to him) subordinate and mistress. This is probably the best situation of the four openings in the SEC, but it still has to face Bama and LSU on an annual basis and that's quite a hurdle to face.

While the Florida gig wasn't perhaps the complete ideal situation (having recruited years of spread option personnel) for a coach that believes in ball control offense, Muschamp had been somewhat frustrated at Texas after being named coach in waiting and then realizing that Mack Brown was not going to leave anytime soon. Florida is still in the hotbed of recruiting and Muschamp had to be confident that he could keep Florida at a competitive level primarily based on the availability of talent. Muschamp might have taken a lesser opportunity to get out of his hopeless situation at Texas.

There's no opportunity remotely comparable to Florida for Smart this year and since he seems to enjoy working with Saban, he's pursuing the correct path in biding his time. If Richt continues to underwhelm in big games and show non-chalance in his team discipline, the Georgia job might be available in the next couple of seasons.
    "If it feels good, then you're not doing it right" - Coach Scott Cochran

"Sharing a conference with Nick Saban is like sharing a steak with a lion. Only one of you wins that battle. And it's not you." - Gregg Doyel

BamaNation Hall of Fame
    My Mood
    Mellow on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by VirginiaTide57 View Post
    Don't know much about Mickey Andrews but Foster and Smart don't belong in the same sentence. There are several reasons Foster is a long time assistant and I can't believe any of those reasons apply to Smart.
    I would insert John Chavis for Bud Foster.

Smart is a highly motivated, driven coach and a HC gig is simply the next step in his career. He's right now in the envious position of being able to wait for the right opportunity but you never know what tomorrow brings so when you're THE hot commodity, you've gotta listen.

the days of bud foster and tom bradley being happy playing 2nd fiddle while NEVER giving a HC job a shot are gone. What's great about the position that Smart's in is that even if he goes to a HC job and fails he's still very young and a great defensive mind and will certainly pick up a big time DC job in minutes.

Personally I hope he stays and is either "coach in waiting" or gets his HC job at the alma mater to the East. I'd hate to see him leave for a 2nd tier SEC gig like the Viles or, even worse, a non-AQ school like Colorado State

BamaNation All-SEC

Quote Originally Posted by CapstoneTider View Post
    We think alike. I would have been absolutely shocked if he took this job. It just felt all wrong. I really believe he is very happy as the DC at a storied program in dynasty mode and it will take a really, really good offer in the next 4 years to move him out of it.

I love having him as the DC, but I believe he's in line to get a HC job at some point in the near future...
    as a business decision, you have to make the move when your hot (and he certainly is...)
    I dont think he'll jump at just any opening, and will make sure its a great fit...thats the benefit of being in the position hes in right now...on top...he can be very picky.

but, I dont see us keeping him for that much longer...i may be cynical, but the coaching career is a very fickle job...you have to strike before something strikes you...

just my opinion of course, and i truly know nothing...

BamaNation All-SEC

Quote Originally Posted by TideEngineer08 View Post
    This is my opinion as well. I do not think it's out of the realm of possibility that he could take over when Nick Saban retires. I also do not think it's out of the realm of possibility that he's been told: you'll get the job if you stick around. Not in contractual terms, but just a heads up that he's the first in line when Coach Saban leaves.

Either way, he's in a position to be extremely picky and I think he will be. Especially if Muschamp continues to succeed at Florida.
    I may be in the minority, but i dont think that he's been told that the jobs yours if you stick around...or anything like that.
    The coach in waiting thing has never worked out, and I definitly dont think its a good thing...too many things change too quickly in the college football world...

also, what does it mean if its not written?

Why are so many under the opinion that Coach Smart is itching to leave?

I think the head coach in waiting thing at Alabama would be a little presumptuous if we have it in place. Not just because of Nick Saban's retirement someday, but also Mal Moore. It's entirely possible his replacement would not be ok with Kirby as HCiW. Just my thoughts.