Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    BamaNation Hall of Fame Tide1986's Avatar
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com
    Quote Originally Posted by rgw View Post
    ...and his ability to finish the job at Alabama.
    If Kirby requested this, then he didn't want the job to begin with.

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation All-American AlexanderFan's Avatar
    My Mood
    Talkative on TideFans.com

Re: Just to make this clear about Kirby Smart and the Auburn job...

Quote Originally Posted by CapstoneTider View Post
    Sounds like clandestine ops to me.
    Like him or not, Danny Sheridan said their trouble was pretty big this time. He also revealed his information a few months ago, validating his sources. Smart wanted some assurances, they probably wouldn't give him any.

From my phone with Tapatalk
    "It's not luck, it's random bursts of talent." - Gage Robinson

BamaNation Hall of Fame
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Sounds like clandestine ops to me.
    haha.

The fact is that if you think Saban gives two rips about that garbage fire, you underestimate his targets these days. LSU and TAMU are the teams standing in our way. Florida, Georgia, and USC loom on the other side. Those are the competition. Notre Dame looks like they're poised to consistently be waiting in the wings every few years too, using a model very similar to our own. Auburn isn't even a blip on the radar. He's shut them out twice and beat them by at least 4 touchdowns 3 times.

BamaNation First Team

Kirby is very Smart. I just wonder how the NCAA investigators will feel about the "in family" hire of Malzahn.

BamaNation Hall of Fame
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

I wonder what they'll think when a good deal of that staff is kept on board.

BamaNation Hall of Fame Alasippi's Avatar
    My Mood
    Amazed on TideFans.com

For what it's worth I posted this on another thread earlier and I think I'm right...

"Personally I think he would not have taken the Auburn job even if they offered him 5 million a year because it is a total no win for him.

First of all there's the possibility of pending NCAA trouble.

Secondly, I truly believe he would have tried to implement the Saban process he has learned under. That mind set may have scared off the majority of players on their current team.

Thirdly, in order to implement that process you have to recruit great players, that simple. THAT takes time. AUBURN, obviously doesn't give coaches very much time.

Fourthly, I think he truly believes, as I do, that he will be our next head coach. Why in the world would you jeopardize that possibility by jumping from an Air Craft Carrier to a sinking canoe?

All that said....you still gotta listen to what other folks have to say.

sip

BamaNation Hall of Fame
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

What I take from a day: Arkansas and Auburn had critical "turning point" hires because the expansion environment has shaken up the pecking order in this division and the SEC at large.

Arkansas doubled down on the power run game and defense in an effort to become more like the traditional contenders.

Auburn decided on becoming the Texas Tech of the SEC.

Suspended
    My Mood
    Relaxed on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by rgw View Post
    haha.

The fact is that if you think Saban gives two rips about that garbage fire, you underestimate his targets these days. LSU and TAMU are the teams standing in our way. Florida, Georgia, and USC loom on the other side.
    It was a joke for sure.
    I stated on another thread that Malzahn's peer group for the foreseeable future is the Mississippi schools.....see who can get in the Independence Bowl. aTm has taken the place of both Arkansas and Auburn as a team that can get to Atlanta every 6 years. I do not know much about the Arkansas hire other than Wisconsin always looks pretty solid to me and seems to always be one of the more physical teams, so Arkansas should get back up to mid pack quickly after they recruit on defense a couple of years

If I was a coach, I would much rather follow a defensive minded head coach than an offensive one. The former takes longer to build but it is more solid, the latter can leave you in a real bind, as Smith found out. It can all come down fast.

BamaNation Hall of Fame Tide1986's Avatar
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com
    Quote Originally Posted by Alasippi View Post
    For what it's worth I posted this on another thread earlier and I think I'm right...

"Personally I think he would not have taken the Auburn job even if they offered him 5 million a year because it is a total no win for him.

First of all there's the possibility of pending NCAA trouble.

Secondly, I truly believe he would have tried to implement the Saban process he has learned under. That mind set may have scared off the majority of players on their current team.

Thirdly, in order to implement that process you have to recruit great players, that simple. THAT takes time. AUBURN, obviously doesn't give coaches very much time.

Fourthly, I think he truly believes, as I do, that he will be our next head coach. Why in the world would you jeopardize that possibility by jumping from an Air Craft Carrier to a sinking canoe?

All that said....you still gotta listen to what other folks have to say.

sip
    If Kirby doesn't leave during this hiring cycle, it may also mean that Saban is close to retirement (after he wins another NC this year or within the next 2-3 years at most).

BamaNation All-SEC Snuffy Smith's Avatar

Just to make this clear about Kirby Smart and the Auburn job...

It was a joke for sure.
    I stated on another thread that Malzahn's peer group for the foreseeable future is the Mississippi schools.....see who can get in the Independence Bowl. aTm has taken the place of both Arkansas and Auburn as a team that can get to Atlanta every 6 years. I do not know much about the Arkansas hire other than Wisconsin always looks pretty solid to me and seems to always be one of the more physical teams, so Arkansas should get back up to mid pack quickly after they recruit on defense a couple of years

If I was a coach, I would much rather follow a defensive minded head coach than an offensive one. The former takes longer to build but it is more solid, the latter can leave you in a real bind, as Smith found out. It can all come down fast.
    I am in Milwaukee this week and the general consensus around my office was good riddance. Posting more on that in the Arky thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BamaNation Hall of Fame
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

I think Kirby is taking the UGA or Alabama job unless something impressive opens up outside the SEC. Of course, it depends on who retires first: Richt or Saban.

Suspended
    My Mood
    Relaxed on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by Snuffy Smith View Post
    I am in Milwaukee this week and the general consensus around my office was good riddance. Posting more on that in the Arky thread.

Wow. Are you sure that's not the typical response after getting the shaft? It is common. They seem happy in Arkansas.

BamaNation All-SEC Snuffy Smith's Avatar

Just to make this clear about Kirby Smart and the Auburn job...

I know one of the guys I work with pretty close has never liked him.