Just to make this clear about Kirby Smart and the Auburn job...

CapstoneTider

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
haha.

The fact is that if you think Saban gives two rips about that garbage fire, you underestimate his targets these days. LSU and TAMU are the teams standing in our way. Florida, Georgia, and USC loom on the other side.
It was a joke for sure.
I stated on another thread that Malzahn's peer group for the foreseeable future is the Mississippi schools.....see who can get in the Independence Bowl. aTm has taken the place of both Arkansas and Auburn as a team that can get to Atlanta every 6 years. I do not know much about the Arkansas hire other than Wisconsin always looks pretty solid to me and seems to always be one of the more physical teams, so Arkansas should get back up to mid pack quickly after they recruit on defense a couple of years

If I was a coach, I would much rather follow a defensive minded head coach than an offensive one. The former takes longer to build but it is more solid, the latter can leave you in a real bind, as Smith found out. It can all come down fast.

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
For what it's worth I posted this on another thread earlier and I think I'm right...

"Personally I think he would not have taken the Auburn job even if they offered him 5 million a year because it is a total no win for him.

First of all there's the possibility of pending NCAA trouble.

Secondly, I truly believe he would have tried to implement the Saban process he has learned under. That mind set may have scared off the majority of players on their current team.

Thirdly, in order to implement that process you have to recruit great players, that simple. THAT takes time. AUBURN, obviously doesn't give coaches very much time.

Fourthly, I think he truly believes, as I do, that he will be our next head coach. Why in the world would you jeopardize that possibility by jumping from an Air Craft Carrier to a sinking canoe?

All that said....you still gotta listen to what other folks have to say.

sip
If Kirby doesn't leave during this hiring cycle, it may also mean that Saban is close to retirement (after he wins another NC this year or within the next 2-3 years at most).

Snuffy Smith

All-American
Sep 12, 2012
Huntsville, AL
It was a joke for sure.
I stated on another thread that Malzahn's peer group for the foreseeable future is the Mississippi schools.....see who can get in the Independence Bowl. aTm has taken the place of both Arkansas and Auburn as a team that can get to Atlanta every 6 years. I do not know much about the Arkansas hire other than Wisconsin always looks pretty solid to me and seems to always be one of the more physical teams, so Arkansas should get back up to mid pack quickly after they recruit on defense a couple of years

If I was a coach, I would much rather follow a defensive minded head coach than an offensive one. The former takes longer to build but it is more solid, the latter can leave you in a real bind, as Smith found out. It can all come down fast.
I am in Milwaukee this week and the general consensus around my office was good riddance. Posting more on that in the Arky thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I think Kirby is taking the UGA or Alabama job unless something impressive opens up outside the SEC. Of course, it depends on who retires first: Richt or Saban.

CapstoneTider

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
I am in Milwaukee this week and the general consensus around my office was good riddance. Posting more on that in the Arky thread.

Wow. Are you sure that's not the typical response after getting the shaft? It is common. They seem happy in Arkansas.

bamabelle1991

All-American
Jan 1, 2009
South Alabama
I have no doubt this was the case given how the story was developed. Smart and Malzahn were interviewed. Petrino got a call out of respect to boosters who promised him an interview. The President and AD never seriously considered Petrino because his baggage was even too much for them. The noise stirred up over Smart because they handed him an offer in maybe every fashion but a written contract. He considered it and asked for some more assurances about the NCAA issues and his ability to finish the job at Alabama. They would not divulge the first request for information and would not allow the later. He backed out.

Malzahn was the next guy up and he probably said yes before they could finish the sentence. It's pretty common in these things that no AD has ever had an offer declined nor has his choice ever been anything but the "guy they wanted from the start."
This was EXACTLY the scenario that Feinbaum prodded the Auburn Undercover person he interviewed to day with. LOL. He was getting all worked up about it, too. Funny stuff! AU guy was "certain" that they didn't offer Kirby and PF wouldn't take that as an answer.

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al
Coach Smart strikes me as being very loyal to and appreciative of Coach Saban. I really couldn't see him taking the Auburn job based on that alone. Now if and when the Georgia job comes open or maybe another SEC job thats a completely different thing.

CapstoneTider

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
I know one of the guys I work with pretty close has never liked him.

Have you seen their record since 1920? His average is twice the schools average and they have had around 15 coaches. 3 straight Rose Bowls and they dislike him? Doesn't sound right but I have very little knowledge I admit.

CapstoneTider

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
Coach Smart strikes me as being very loyal to and appreciative of Coach Saban. I really couldn't see him taking the Auburn job based on that alone. Now if and when the Georgia job comes open or maybe another SEC job thats a completely different thing.
Considering it's his Alama mater and a top 10 gig I would think so. That may be his dream job, even over Bama.

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
Considering it's his Alama mater and a top 10 gig I would think so. That may be his dream job, even over Bama.
Somewhere along the way, it would seem beneficial for Kirby to get some head coaching experience. It may be a while for his dream job to open up, and being a career assistant will not necessarily make him the best prepared to take the job when it comes available.

CapstoneTider

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
...and that's why Auburn put in a no-compete clause...so, Kirby walked!
It's pretty established that Kirby and Coach Saban are pretty tight and he knows the power coach Saban has. With Coach Saban's blessing I can see him walking in and saying, sure I'll consider taking your job for $3.2 mil, but I want absolute authority over this program and let's start out by letting me see what you have on the NCAA situation. Malzahn by comparison goes in as a yes man and with the look of submission to the authority that he is already familiar with.

Auburn would never have given what Coach Smart would have demanded to "rebuild" their program and leave the palace. It was never going to happen, they just went through the motions.

Somewhere along the way, it would seem beneficial for Kirby to get some head coaching experience. It may be a while for his dream job to open up, and being a career assistant will not necessarily make him the best prepared to take the job when it comes available.
But he is only 36 and seems very happy with his job and boss, very few people can say that. I think the age factor is why I think it's not crucial that he makes a move in the next 3-4 years.

Last edited:

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
I wonder if we had lost Saturday and we weren't going for another national championship if he'd have thought harder about taking another job.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
If Kirby doesn't leave during this hiring cycle, it may also mean that Saban is close to retirement (after he wins another NC this year or within the next 2-3 years at most).
Saban is about as youthful of a 60 year old as I've ever seen. I think when he retires at Bama that he'll have at least seven national titles. I think his goal is to be in the discussion of, "Greatest of all time", and I think he'll get there starting with the complete and total beatdown of Notre Dame on January 7.
I really don't think it will take him that long to accomplish his goal.
If Kirby hangs around he's going to be a very youthful coach with an incredible opportunity. Somehow I think Kirby knows that.
sip

BamaFlum

Hall of Fame
Dec 11, 2002
S.A., TX, USA
Saban doesn't look 60! I don't think he is the type that will whither on the vine. He wants to influence these kids as long as possible with the Process and leave with some life to live in retirement.

TUSKaloosa

3rd Team
Aug 18, 2002
Cleveland, Ohio, USA
Smart was offered the Auburn job before Malzahn. He turned it down.

I notice a couple of writers are disputing this.

Smart was offered the job first. He turned it down. You can believe who you want but we have the facts and apparently, others have AU's official party line. I don't butt heads with other in-state journalists often -- only when I know who's right. And it's not them, this time.
I am glad to hear he turned it down for the simple fact that Kirby has a great resume and I would have hated to see him tarnish it in that cesspool. I was a little doubting in his judgment to even accept an interview.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.