Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    BamaNation All-American bamabelle1991's Avatar
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Re: Just to make this clear about Kirby Smart and the Auburn job...

Quote Originally Posted by rgw View Post
    I have no doubt this was the case given how the story was developed. Smart and Malzahn were interviewed. Petrino got a call out of respect to boosters who promised him an interview. The President and AD never seriously considered Petrino because his baggage was even too much for them. The noise stirred up over Smart because they handed him an offer in maybe every fashion but a written contract. He considered it and asked for some more assurances about the NCAA issues and his ability to finish the job at Alabama. They would not divulge the first request for information and would not allow the later. He backed out.

Malzahn was the next guy up and he probably said yes before they could finish the sentence. It's pretty common in these things that no AD has ever had an offer declined nor has his choice ever been anything but the "guy they wanted from the start."
    This was EXACTLY the scenario that Feinbaum prodded the Auburn Undercover person he interviewed to day with. LOL. He was getting all worked up about it, too. Funny stuff! AU guy was "certain" that they didn't offer Kirby and PF wouldn't take that as an answer.

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation All-American

Coach Smart strikes me as being very loyal to and appreciative of Coach Saban. I really couldn't see him taking the Auburn job based on that alone. Now if and when the Georgia job comes open or maybe another SEC job thats a completely different thing.

Suspended
    My Mood
    Relaxed on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by Snuffy Smith View Post
    I know one of the guys I work with pretty close has never liked him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Have you seen their record since 1920? His average is twice the schools average and they have had around 15 coaches. 3 straight Rose Bowls and they dislike him? Doesn't sound right but I have very little knowledge I admit.

Suspended
    My Mood
    Relaxed on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by CullmanTide View Post
    Coach Smart strikes me as being very loyal to and appreciative of Coach Saban. I really couldn't see him taking the Auburn job based on that alone. Now if and when the Georgia job comes open or maybe another SEC job thats a completely different thing.
    Considering it's his Alama mater and a top 10 gig I would think so. That may be his dream job, even over Bama.

BamaNation Second Team callmethebreeze's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rgw View Post
    I think Kirby is taking the UGA or Alabama job unless something impressive opens up outside the SEC. Of course, it depends on who retires first: Richt or Saban.
    ...and that's why Auburn put in a no-compete clause...so, Kirby walked!

BamaNation Hall of Fame cbi1972's Avatar
    My Mood
    BamaVictory on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by callmethebreeze View Post
    They don't need a clause to be unable to compete
    Audemus jura nostra defendere
    "When a loaf of bread looks like a banquet, I've no right buying tobacco. " - Grandpa Joe

BamaNation Hall of Fame Tide1986's Avatar
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com
    Quote Originally Posted by CapstoneTider View Post
    Considering it's his Alama mater and a top 10 gig I would think so. That may be his dream job, even over Bama.
    Somewhere along the way, it would seem beneficial for Kirby to get some head coaching experience. It may be a while for his dream job to open up, and being a career assistant will not necessarily make him the best prepared to take the job when it comes available.

Suspended
    My Mood
    Relaxed on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by callmethebreeze View Post
    It's pretty established that Kirby and Coach Saban are pretty tight and he knows the power coach Saban has. With Coach Saban's blessing I can see him walking in and saying, sure I'll consider taking your job for $3.2 mil, but I want absolute authority over this program and let's start out by letting me see what you have on the NCAA situation. Malzahn by comparison goes in as a yes man and with the look of submission to the authority that he is already familiar with.

Auburn would never have given what Coach Smart would have demanded to "rebuild" their program and leave the palace. It was never going to happen, they just went through the motions.

Quote Originally Posted by Tide1986 View Post
    Somewhere along the way, it would seem beneficial for Kirby to get some head coaching experience. It may be a while for his dream job to open up, and being a career assistant will not necessarily make him the best prepared to take the job when it comes available.
    But he is only 36 and seems very happy with his job and boss, very few people can say that. I think the age factor is why I think it's not crucial that he makes a move in the next 3-4 years.
    Last edited by CapstoneTider; December 4th, 2012 at 07:26 PM.

BamaNation Hall of Fame JBama_in_PCOLA's Avatar
    Andalusia, Alabama via Pensacola, Florida United States
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Just to make this clear about Kirby Smart and the Auburn job...

I'm just glad he's still here.

BamaNation Hall of Fame Crimson1967's Avatar
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

I wonder if we had lost Saturday and we weren't going for another national championship if he'd have thought harder about taking another job.

BamaNation Hall of Fame Alasippi's Avatar
    My Mood
    Cloud_9 on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by Tide1986 View Post
    If Kirby doesn't leave during this hiring cycle, it may also mean that Saban is close to retirement (after he wins another NC this year or within the next 2-3 years at most).
    Saban is about as youthful of a 60 year old as I've ever seen. I think when he retires at Bama that he'll have at least seven national titles. I think his goal is to be in the discussion of, "Greatest of all time", and I think he'll get there starting with the complete and total beatdown of Notre Dame on January 7.
    I really don't think it will take him that long to accomplish his goal.
    If Kirby hangs around he's going to be a very youthful coach with an incredible opportunity. Somehow I think Kirby knows that.
    sip

BamaNation All-American BamaFlum's Avatar
    My Mood
    Festive on TideFans.com

Just to make this clear about Kirby Smart and the Auburn job...

Saban doesn't look 60! I don't think he is the type that will whither on the vine. He wants to influence these kids as long as possible with the Process and leave with some life to live in retirement.
    RTR!

BamaNation Second Team

Quote Originally Posted by JessN View Post
    Smart was offered the Auburn job before Malzahn. He turned it down.

I notice a couple of writers are disputing this.

Smart was offered the job first. He turned it down. You can believe who you want but we have the facts and apparently, others have AU's official party line. I don't butt heads with other in-state journalists often -- only when I know who's right. And it's not them, this time.
    I am glad to hear he turned it down for the simple fact that Kirby has a great resume and I would have hated to see him tarnish it in that cesspool. I was a little doubting in his judgment to even accept an interview.
    “ The Crimson Tide of Alabama” Now that has a majestic ring to it!