Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Re: Just to make this clear about Kirby Smart and the Auburn job...

Quote Originally Posted by sanjosecrimson View Post
    Tennesse, NC State and Cal are still open. Wisconsin just became available. I wouldn't read too much into what CNS said.
    I think Northern Illinois coach is on his way to NC State.
    I'm a lead farmer

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation All-American RollTide1017's Avatar
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Come on guys, I believe AU when they say they never offered Smart the job. I truly believe that near the end of the interview, Coach Smart started laughing and said that Saban put him up to this; he then just walked out of the room, still laughing, before AU even had a chance to make an offer.

BamaNation Hall of Fame TideMan09's Avatar
    My Mood
    BamaVictory on TideFans.com

Here's a pretty telling article about why Coach Smart didn't get the job..He wanted full disclosure about the NCAA investigation & auburn wasn't willing give them..I would too if I was Coach Smart..Whatcha trying to hide auburn????..

Here's The Link..CLICK ME

Quote Originally Posted by TideMan09 View Post
    Here's a pretty telling article about why Coach Smart didn't get the job..He wanted full disclosure about the NCAA investigation & auburn wasn't willing give them..I would too if I was Coach Smart..Whatcha trying to hide auburn????..

Here's The Link..CLICK ME
    You beat me to it...Here's what sticks out in that article to me

His demands included full disclosure of the state of the NCAA’s current look-see at the Auburn program, full control of hiring and firing staffers and the opportunity to coordinate the Alabama defense in the BCS Championship Game against Notre Dame.
    Smart’s demands are perfectly understandable. So is Auburn’s unwillingness to grant them, which is part of the reason Auburn didn’t offer Smart the job and turned toward Malzahn.
    "I didn't come to Alabama to win 10 games a year and be a contender. I came here to win championships. Conference championships and national championships. I love it here because that's just not what I want, but what this fanbase expects."
    --Alabama Head Football Coach, Nick Saban

“Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on it’s ability to climb a tree, it will spend it’s whole life believing it is stupid.” — Albert Einstein

BamaNation Hall of Fame TideMan09's Avatar
    My Mood
    BamaVictory on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by WMack4Bama View Post
    Exactly..In other words you won't have control of the team..Just do what the "Good 'Ole Boys" tell ya to do..Business as usual in Lee County..
    Last edited by TideMan09; December 5th, 2012 at 12:32 AM.

BamaNation First Team CrimsonTheory's Avatar
    My Mood
    Brooding on TideFans.com

Taking the AU job is akin to walking in the barn full of walkers on "The Walking Dead." A bunch of mindless zombies doing whatever the heck they want to do. Glad to see Smart staying with Bama, at least for now.
    Last edited by CrimsonTheory; December 5th, 2012 at 01:09 PM.
    the former CrimsonBleedRed.

BamaNation All-American Bad Pony's Avatar
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by JessN View Post
    Smart was offered the Auburn job before Malzahn. He turned it down.

I notice a couple of writers are disputing this.

Smart was offered the job first. He turned it down. You can believe who you want but we have the facts and apparently, others have AU's official party line. I don't butt heads with other in-state journalists often -- only when I know who's right. And it's not them, this time.
    Thank you as always Jess...some folks at work are denying this happened, no sense in engaging them, it's a waste of breath.

Quote Originally Posted by WMack4Bama View Post
    Those media celebrity glasses are a red flag to his priorities. He looks like a vain MSNBC commentator.

There is no doubt that Smart was offered the job.............it all comes down to semantics about what constitutes an "offer".

Full control of staff hires, full disclosure about the NCAA, allowed to finish the job he has right now= Not an Auburn man
    Dirt can't hide from intensified Tide!

Quote Originally Posted by NoNC4Tubs View Post
    There is no doubt that Smart was offered the job.............it all comes down to semantics about what constitutes an "offer".
    We did learn that nothing has changed on the Plains and it probably won't while Pat Dye is semi functioning or the NCAA has not forced a cleaning. The coach at Auburn is a system coach just like a system quarterback. Most top quarterbacks don't want to play in a system unless it's a proven success.

Malzahn was always the fall back guy, and the committee was a rouge. Bo Jackson probably wanted Charlie Strong, but not a chance with Dye is still there(fired 1st shot in the war), Petrino was vetoed from the top but was allowed an interview, and Coach Smart embarrassed them with his bluntness about change.

Side Note: Petrino he came out of the coaching hires with egg, he wanted the Auburn job yesterday although that may have not been his 1st choice.
    Last edited by CapstoneTider; December 5th, 2012 at 07:02 AM.

BamaNation Hall of Fame Tide1986's Avatar
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com
    Quote Originally Posted by NoNC4Tubs View Post
    Would you give up an NC Ring?
    I believe the request to coach the Bama defense in the BCSNCG was likely a poison pill request designed to elicit a Barn refusal and thus give at least one reason for his own refusal. As I said previously, I'm not sure he genuinely wanted the job to begin with -- it makes zero sense for an in-state conference rival to agree to such a condition in my opinion.
    Last edited by Tide1986; December 5th, 2012 at 08:05 AM.

BamaNation Hall of Fame JBama_in_PCOLA's Avatar
    Andalusia, Alabama via Pensacola, Florida United States
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Just to make this clear about Kirby Smart and the Auburn job...

Quote Originally Posted by TideMan09 View Post
    Exactly..In other words you won't have control of the team..Just do what the "Good 'Ole Boys" tell ya to do..Business as usual in Lee County..
    That's why in the long run (and short) they lose! I wouldn't walk blindly into something. He investigated the issue and it turned out that something was fishy. He didn't want to get dirty and I don't blame him.
    ROLL TIDE!