Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    BamaNation Hall of Fame Tide1986's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Re: Just to make this clear about Kirby Smart and the Auburn job...

I guess I can understand why the Barn would refuse to disclose details of the NCAA investigation. If they do so and Kirby decides not to accept the job, then Saban's staff would potentially have some powerful ammo to use in recruiting. While Saban doesn't need that type of info to dominate the Barn in recruiting, I'm pretty sure the paranoid Barners would imagine the situation as I described it.

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation Hall of Fame TideMan09's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    BamaVictory on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by JBama_in_PCOLA View Post
    That's why in the long run (and short) they lose! I wouldn't walk blindly into something. He investigated the issue and it turned out that something was fishy. He didn't want to get dirty and I don't blame him.
    You can't seriously tell a coach to sign the contract 1st & then we'll show you what we know about the looming NCAA mess,,And top that off by telling you we will have control of the hiring & firing of your coaching staff..Equals exactly what they got..A puppet HC that stands no chance of making this work at auburn..Only one problem Barners..They'll never keep Malzahn's wife quite..She will make "The Powers That Be" lives a living hell when the Malzahn Era takes a nose dive..

Post Thanks / Like

I wonder if coaches in general are really as bought into rivalries as people think. I kinda think that they use rivalry as a tool to motivate fans and students. There have been lots fo coaches work both sides of rivalries even ou rown in state rivalry. I am just glad our staff remains in tact. Roll Tide!!

PS I really ejoy beating the barn when they stand a chance!!

BamaNation First Team
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lincoln osiris View Post
    I think Northern Illinois coach is on his way to NC State.

He's not on his way, he is already there and NIU has already filled their vacancy.

Suspended
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Relaxed on TideFans.com

I don't believe that Coach Smart demanded for them to open up the books right then and there but at some point in the hiring process while he could still reject the offer if lied to. I bet he did want a summary of the severity, and I can envision them scoffing and thinking "How dare he".

BamaNation Hall of Fame GulfCoastTider's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Ornery on TideFans.com

Jess is absolutely right. Kirby was offered the job and the intent was to throw him a huge wad of cash, thinking that the money would satisfy any issues he had. Auburn took themselves a little too seriously and thought he'd want them more than they really needed him.

Kirby wasn't playing that game.

He already has a great job and he knows his future is bright. There was no way he was taking that job without having every one of his demands met to his complete satisfaction. Not only did he want full disclosure on the current NCAA investigation, he wanted complete protection from any fallout from it. He also wanted complete control of football operations. Not just on-field assistants, but total control, just like his current boss has in Tuscaloosa.

He was told that NCAA rules forbade them from disclosing the nature and extent of any investigations and that he would not be given that level of power due to the school's "institutional control" policy. That has Rich McGlynn written all over it.

Scarbinsky reported that he also wanted to coach the Tide defense in the BCSCG and was refused on that as well. I'm not sure about this--as Malzahn is reportedly being allowed to coach his team in the GoDaddy.com bowl just one night before the BCSCG.

At the end of the day, Kirby let them know that it was he who was negotiating from the position of strength and that either they give him what he wanted, or he wasn't taking the job he never truly coveted to begin with. They balked, he walked.
    “Lamar Thomas has got it, he's on his way down the sidelines... George Teague runs him down! He took the ball away!!! HE'S GOT THE BALL!!!"

Thread deleted by SavannahDare
    Reason: Dude! Coach Saban would sooner die than tweet.

BamaNation All-American Bad Pony's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by GulfCoastTider View Post
    Jess is absolutely right. Kirby was offered the job and the intent was to throw him a huge wad of cash, thinking that the money would satisfy any issues he had. Auburn took themselves a little too seriously and thought he'd want them more than they really needed him.

Kirby wasn't playing that game.

He already has a great job and he knows his future is bright. There was no way he was taking that job without having every one of his demands met to his complete satisfaction. Not only did he want full disclosure on the current NCAA investigation, he wanted complete protection from any fallout from it. He also wanted complete control of football operations. Not just on-field assistants, but total control, just like his current boss has in Tuscaloosa.

He was told that NCAA rules forbade them from disclosing the nature and extent of any investigations and that he would not be given that level of power due to the school's "institutional control" policy. That has Rich McGlynn written all over it.

Scarbinsky reported that he also wanted to coach the Tide defense in the BCSCG and was refused on that as well. I'm not sure about this--as Malzahn is reportedly being allowed to coach his team in the GoDaddy.com bowl just one night before the BCSCG.

At the end of the day, Kirby let them know that it was he who was negotiating from the position of strength and that either they give him what he wanted, or he wasn't taking the job he never truly coveted to begin with. They balked, he walked.
    Good analysis GCT but I would say there is a bit of difference between the Godaddy bowl and the BCSNC so I would be prone to believe it happened.

Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Interesting read on here:

http://www.al.com/auburnfootball/ind...incart_m-rpt-2

"His (K Smart)demands included full disclosure of the state of the NCAA’s current look-see at the Auburn program, full control of hiring and firing staffers and the opportunity to coordinate the Alabama defense in the BCS Championship Game against Notre Dame."

"Smart’s demands are perfectly understandable. So is Auburn’s unwillingness to grant them, which is part of the reason Auburn didn’t offer Smart the job and turned toward Malzahn."

"That raises a question. Why would Auburn interview Smart in the first place? Did they not see that stalemate coming?"
    If God wanted me to be humble, he would have sent me to Auburn.

Suspended
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Relaxed on TideFans.com

"He'll take the cash.......No he won't"
    Last edited by CapstoneTider; December 5th, 2012 at 08:13 AM.

BamaNation All-American Bad Pony's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by J4Bama View Post
    Interesting read on here:

http://www.al.com/auburnfootball/ind...incart_m-rpt-2

"His (K Smart)demands included full disclosure of the state of the NCAA’s current look-see at the Auburn program, full control of hiring and firing staffers and the opportunity to coordinate the Alabama defense in the BCS Championship Game against Notre Dame."

"Smart’s demands are perfectly understandable. So is Auburn’s unwillingness to grant them, which is part of the reason Auburn didn’t offer Smart the job and turned toward Malzahn."

"That raises a question. Why would Auburn interview Smart in the first place? Did they not see that stalemate coming?"

That's a big assumption thinking the barn sees things in the same perspective as others...

BamaNation All-SEC
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Malzahn is the only person who could benefit by going to Auburn. It will be his first REAL coaching gig. Not much pressure due to upcoming NCAA investigations and potential sanctions. Anything he does will be better than Chiz did (without Cam). Malzahn says he will create a fast-moving, dynamic team that will be exciting to watch (run with play-action according to him -- which really means spread --and-- an attack defense - 3-4 <-- he'll try to attract play-maker wannabe's). I honestly look forward to seeing what he can do on the plains.
    “That issue has gone under the bridge, under the next bridge, over the next dam and is gone.”
    -CNS

BamaNation Hall of Fame GulfCoastTider's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Ornery on TideFans.com

I wrote this yesterday on my blog and feel free to disagree with me on this point: But the fact that Gus took the Auburn job means that they probably skate on the NCAA investigation, or at least receive relatively light penalties.

Gus knows where all the bodies are buried and I think he's too smart to walk into what might become a smoldering crater and risk his future marketability as a coach. There's no amount of short term cash that can mitigate the risk of becoming the next Jim Tressel--a radioactive coach that no one will likely ever touch again.
    “Lamar Thomas has got it, he's on his way down the sidelines... George Teague runs him down! He took the ball away!!! HE'S GOT THE BALL!!!"

Thread deleted by SavannahDare
    Reason: Dude! Coach Saban would sooner die than tweet.

Suspended
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Relaxed on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by GulfCoastTider View Post
    I wrote this yesterday on my blog and feel free to disagree with me on this point: But the fact that Gus took the Auburn job means that they probably skate on the NCAA investigation, or at least receive relatively light penalties.

Gus knows where all the bodies are buried and I think he's too smart to walk into what might become a smoldering crater and risk his future marketability as a coach. There's no amount of short term cash that can mitigate the risk of becoming the next Jim Tressel--a radioactive coach that no one will likely ever touch again.
    I'll make note of that. This would really surprise me and my main counter would be that maybe Gus is not as confident in himself as he appears, his wife kind of demonstrates that to some degree. Gus took a pay cut to take the ASU job and I bet he's guaranteed at least $10 million.

But you have a strong case imo.