Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Just to make this clear about Kirby Smart and the Auburn job...

Dye admitted Tuesday what insiders have told us all along, that Smart was his first choice for the job. No surprise there. Like Smart, Dye grew up playing for Georgia and coaching at Alabama on the defensive side of the ball. Like Dye, Smart is hard-nosed and strong-willed.

Those characteristics may have helped Smart with Dye, but they hurt him with the Auburn search committee. Smart asked for things during his interview that Auburn wasn’t willing to give him, according to people close to the process.

His demands included full disclosure of the state of the NCAA’s current look-see at the Auburn program, full control of hiring and firing staffers and the opportunity to coordinate the Alabama defense in the BCS Championship Game against Notre Dame.

Smart’s demands are perfectly understandable. So is Auburn’s unwillingness to grant them, which is part of the reason Auburn didn’t offer Smart the job and turned toward Malzahn.

http://www.al.com/auburnfootball/index.ssf/2012/12/scarbinsky_is_gus_malzahn_stro.html
    You will suffer through one of two things in life, either the pain of discipline or the pain of disappointment - Nick Saban

2. Advertisement
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by GulfCoastTider View Post
    Scarbinsky reported that he also wanted to coach the Tide defense in the BCSCG and was refused on that as well. I'm not sure about this--as Malzahn is reportedly being allowed to coach his team in the GoDaddy.com bowl just one night before the BCSCG.
    I doubt the Aubs mind him coaching Arky State. I do think they would have a problem with their new head coach coaching their arch rival to another National Championship, though.
    I wrote this yesterday on my blog and feel free to disagree with me on this point: But the fact that Gus took the Auburn job means that they probably skate on the NCAA investigation, or at least receive relatively light penalties.

Gus knows where all the bodies are buried and I think he's too smart to walk into what might become a smoldering crater and risk his future marketability as a coach. There's no amount of short term cash that can mitigate the risk of becoming the next Jim Tressel--a radioactive coach that no one will likely ever touch again.
    That's possible, but would he know who's been interviewed, etc?
    "I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    Coach Bryant

Rasuputin's response to my question "What benefit do tablets provide students?"
    (In an old southern trailer park redneck beer in hand marlboro light in other and camoflauge cutoff shorts man's voice) If a tablet was good enough for Moses and the 10 Commandments then by god they are good enough for my children in school today!!!!!!!

BamaNation Second Team tru2bama's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by TideMan09 View Post
    Exactly..In other words you won't have control of the team..Just do what the "Good 'Ole Boys" tell ya to do..Business as usual in Lee County..
    On his radio show this morning Scab was asked 'why was the requirement to hire his own staff denied Smart but granted to Malzahn?' Scab said, 'I don't know.' To me it's obvious, it WAS a requirement for taking the job and Malzahn agreed. Plan and simple. Same old power structure in plat and until it burns them it will remain. BAU.
    Roll Tide Roll!!!!

BamaNation All-SEC
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tide1986 View Post
    If Kirby doesn't leave during this hiring cycle, it may also mean that Saban is close to retirement (after he wins another NC this year or within the next 2-3 years at most).
    Maybe its just me, but i dont see it this way...

I dont believe that Saban has given thought to his retirement right now...hes riding a crast in college football that doesnt come along often.

Kirby justs didnt see the opportunity at Auburn as something that was solid enough to leave his curernt situation, which long term, was probably the right decision...the right opportunity will come and he'll take it when it does with Sabans blessing...

I dont think that theres even a hint or thought of coach in waiting at Alabam...
    that has just proven to be a terrible idea anywhere its been tried...

BamaNation Hall of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Inspired on TideFans.com

I wrote this yesterday on my blog and feel free to disagree with me on this point: But the fact that Gus took the Auburn job means that they probably skate on the NCAA investigation, or at least receive relatively light penalties.

Gus knows where all the bodies are buried and I think he's too smart to walk into what might become a smoldering crater and risk his future marketability as a coach. There's no amount of short term cash that can mitigate the risk of becoming the next Jim Tressel--a radioactive coach that no one will likely ever touch again.
    Or, he's that desperate or... that dirty.

BamaNation All-American BamaMoon's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Maybe I'm a little too simple minded about this but if Smart wanted "full disclosure" about NCAA stuff and they said they couldn't give that does this not strongly suggests there is something that Auburn knows about violations. Otherwise, if there is nothing they are concerned about could they just not say that???

Apparently that is what they told Gus according to his presser, but that wasn't good enough for Smart...he's too "smart" to fall for that!

Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Asleep on TideFans.com

Jess is absolutely right. Kirby was offered the job and the intent was to throw him a huge wad of cash, thinking that the money would satisfy any issues he had. Auburn took themselves a little too seriously and thought he'd want them more than they really needed him.

Kirby wasn't playing that game.

He already has a great job and he knows his future is bright. There was no way he was taking that job without having every one of his demands met to his complete satisfaction. Not only did he want full disclosure on the current NCAA investigation, he wanted complete protection from any fallout from it. He also wanted complete control of football operations. Not just on-field assistants, but total control, just like his current boss has in Tuscaloosa.

He was told that NCAA rules forbade them from disclosing the nature and extent of any investigations and that he would not be given that level of power due to the school's "institutional control" policy. That has Rich McGlynn written all over it.

Scarbinsky reported that he also wanted to coach the Tide defense in the BCSCG and was refused on that as well. I'm not sure about this--as Malzahn is reportedly being allowed to coach his team in the GoDaddy.com bowl just one night before the BCSCG.

At the end of the day, Kirby let them know that it was he who was negotiating from the position of strength and that either they give him what he wanted, or he wasn't taking the job he never truly coveted to begin with. They balked, he walked.
    I think CKS might have said, "Hey, you folks called me right?"

BamaNation Hall of Fame bamacon's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

That is a LOT of short-term cash. I agree about the sanctions because he might very well be implicated because he was there. Not sure he would go back if he was truly worried. Then again, AU is like a never ending slot machine right now...it seems tto keep paying out to its coaches even if they leave.

Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by Bigalstide1877 View Post
    I hope we have saban for atleast 5-7 more years but theres no telling.
    CNS acts like he's really enjoying coaching right now, and that he's enjoying the challenge. So I think he'll stay around for a few more years.

And something else to consider - CNS is only 60 years old, and he can't get full Social Security benefits until he's 66 ......and you just know that he'll need every cent he can get when he retires!
    "If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters." - Alan K. Simpson

BamaNation Hall of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Mellow on TideFans.com

By everything I can gather (and have gathered since the Scam saga began), Malzahn was clean. Did he know what the Lupe Troop was doing? Well, if Scam can skate with a smirking "I didn't know", then IMO Malzahn won't suffer from this fallout. It will still be a while before anything comes out (or down), and if he turns around the Barn program and gets 6 - 8 wins next year (or more), he's golden. Besides, he could always pull a Francheesy...he just did at ASU. I think he is at the barn 2 - 3 years max, depends on the severity of the punishment. Even if they skate again, he won't win enough to satisfy the barners. I don't know the details of his contract, so a lot of what I posted might need to be re-evaluated, depending on said details. Either way, I think it's good for Bama.

BamaNation Hall of Fame GrayTide's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonTheory View Post
    Talking the AU job is akin to walking in the barn full of walkers on "The Walking Dead." A bunch of mindless zombies doing whatever the heck they want to do. Glad to see Smart staying with Bama, at least for now.
    Great analogy. Even Texas Ranger Walker would be after him.
    "My momma always said you got to put the past behind you before you can move on." Forrest Gump

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

BamaNation First Team
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Kirby Smart wanted complete control of the football program, and Auburn turned him down. I called that one. I must be psychic. Of course, so did everyone else, so we must all be psychic.

BamaNation All-American cuda.1973's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Sick on TideFans.com

It's real simple................here is how the interviews went:

CKS: "So, before we start, just how much trouble are you guys in, with the NCAA?"

API PTB: "Next question."

CKS: "OK.............so, if I take this job, will I get complete control of the football program? I mean complete control, especially the hiring and firing of assistants."

API PTB: "Next question."

CKS: "I see. Well, you do realize I won't be available until after our bowl game is over."

API PTB: "NEXT!!!!!!!!!! Let's see...........who is next?............uh, Gus? Oh, Gus. GUS!"

CGM: "I'll take it!"

API PTB: "Done. That was easy. Well, I think we are done here. Drinks on me."

(As a side note, the drinks really are on him. Too bad his pants are not.)
    "Mama called."

So, we took her home.

3/8/26-8/20/13