Just to make this clear about Kirby Smart and the Auburn job...

JessN

Administrator & Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Smart was offered the Auburn job before Malzahn. He turned it down.

I notice a couple of writers are disputing this.

Smart was offered the job first. He turned it down. You can believe who you want but we have the facts and apparently, others have AU's official party line. I don't butt heads with other in-state journalists often -- only when I know who's right. And it's not them, this time.

CapstoneTider

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
Smart was offered the Auburn job before Malzahn. He turned it down.

I notice a couple of writers are disputing this.

Smart was offered the job first. He turned it down. You can believe who you want but we have the facts and apparently, others have AU's official party line. I don't butt heads with other in-state journalists often -- only when I know who's right. And it's not them, this time.
I have no doubt that's the truth, and it supports my opinion that he is not itching to leave. If he was, he would have already been hired somewhere and would be involved in much more interviews.

I believe the word is out that he's happy.

bamahippie

All-SEC
Apr 8, 2000
Cullman, AL
Anybody with a brain, and that followed the rumor aromas around today knows the order of events. Some reporters are so lazy, they're embarrassing themselves.

TidefaninOS

All-SEC
Feb 14, 2009
Ocean Springs, MS
I'll sure take your word for it, Jess. It's probably just the Barn trying to save face, wouldn't you think? Glad CKS turned them down, and hoping that he's not in a big hurry for a HC job; and will wait for the right opportunity to come along, if it does. I'm sure he's getting some good advice from CNS .

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I have no doubt this was the case given how the story was developed. Smart and Malzahn were interviewed. Petrino got a call out of respect to boosters who promised him an interview. The President and AD never seriously considered Petrino because his baggage was even too much for them. The noise stirred up over Smart because they handed him an offer in maybe every fashion but a written contract. He considered it and asked for some more assurances about the NCAA issues and his ability to finish the job at Alabama. They would not divulge the first request for information and would not allow the later. He backed out.

Malzahn was the next guy up and he probably said yes before they could finish the sentence. It's pretty common in these things that no AD has ever had an offer declined nor has his choice ever been anything but the "guy they wanted from the start."

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Funny how much college head coaching searches mimic Cabinet positions in the US government. Oh wait - both are politics (and that is as far as I'm going on that).

CapstoneTider

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
He considered it and asked for some more assurances about the NCAA issues and his ability to finish the job at Alabama. They would not divulge the first request for information and would not allow the later. He backed out.
Sounds like clandestine ops to me.

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
Like him or not, Danny Sheridan said their trouble was pretty big this time. He also revealed his information a few months ago, validating his sources. Smart wanted some assurances, they probably wouldn't give him any.

From my phone with Tapatalk

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
haha.

The fact is that if you think Saban gives two rips about that garbage fire, you underestimate his targets these days. LSU and TAMU are the teams standing in our way. Florida, Georgia, and USC loom on the other side. Those are the competition. Notre Dame looks like they're poised to consistently be waiting in the wings every few years too, using a model very similar to our own. Auburn isn't even a blip on the radar. He's shut them out twice and beat them by at least 4 touchdowns 3 times.

westide

All-SEC
Jan 22, 2011
Kirby is very Smart. I just wonder how the NCAA investigators will feel about the "in family" hire of Malzahn.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
For what it's worth I posted this on another thread earlier and I think I'm right...

"Personally I think he would not have taken the Auburn job even if they offered him 5 million a year because it is a total no win for him.

First of all there's the possibility of pending NCAA trouble.

Secondly, I truly believe he would have tried to implement the Saban process he has learned under. That mind set may have scared off the majority of players on their current team.

Thirdly, in order to implement that process you have to recruit great players, that simple. THAT takes time. AUBURN, obviously doesn't give coaches very much time.

Fourthly, I think he truly believes, as I do, that he will be our next head coach. Why in the world would you jeopardize that possibility by jumping from an Air Craft Carrier to a sinking canoe?

All that said....you still gotta listen to what other folks have to say.

sip

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
What I take from a day: Arkansas and Auburn had critical "turning point" hires because the expansion environment has shaken up the pecking order in this division and the SEC at large.

Arkansas doubled down on the power run game and defense in an effort to become more like the traditional contenders.

Auburn decided on becoming the Texas Tech of the SEC.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.