Just to make this clear about Kirby Smart and the Auburn job...

tru2bama

Scout Team
Sep 19, 2004
Birmimgham, AL
Exactly..In other words you won't have control of the team..Just do what the "Good 'Ole Boys" tell ya to do..Business as usual in Lee County..
On his radio show this morning Scab was asked 'why was the requirement to hire his own staff denied Smart but granted to Malzahn?' Scab said, 'I don't know.' To me it's obvious, it WAS a requirement for taking the job and Malzahn agreed. Plan and simple. Same old power structure in plat and until it burns them it will remain. BAU.

bamafaninOhiO

All-American
May 11, 2010
Dayton, Ohio
If Kirby doesn't leave during this hiring cycle, it may also mean that Saban is close to retirement (after he wins another NC this year or within the next 2-3 years at most).
Maybe its just me, but i dont see it this way...

I dont believe that Saban has given thought to his retirement right now...hes riding a crast in college football that doesnt come along often.

Kirby justs didnt see the opportunity at Auburn as something that was solid enough to leave his curernt situation, which long term, was probably the right decision...the right opportunity will come and he'll take it when it does with Sabans blessing...

I dont think that theres even a hint or thought of coach in waiting at Alabam...
that has just proven to be a terrible idea anywhere its been tried...

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
I wrote this yesterday on my blog and feel free to disagree with me on this point: But the fact that Gus took the Auburn job means that they probably skate on the NCAA investigation, or at least receive relatively light penalties.

Gus knows where all the bodies are buried and I think he's too smart to walk into what might become a smoldering crater and risk his future marketability as a coach. There's no amount of short term cash that can mitigate the risk of becoming the next Jim Tressel--a radioactive coach that no one will likely ever touch again.
Or, he's that desperate or... that dirty.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Maybe I'm a little too simple minded about this but if Smart wanted "full disclosure" about NCAA stuff and they said they couldn't give that does this not strongly suggests there is something that Auburn knows about violations. Otherwise, if there is nothing they are concerned about could they just not say that???

Apparently that is what they told Gus according to his presser, but that wasn't good enough for Smart...he's too "smart" to fall for that!

bamamc1

Hall of Fame
Oct 24, 2011
Haleyville, AL
Jess is absolutely right. Kirby was offered the job and the intent was to throw him a huge wad of cash, thinking that the money would satisfy any issues he had. Auburn took themselves a little too seriously and thought he'd want them more than they really needed him.

Kirby wasn't playing that game.

He already has a great job and he knows his future is bright. There was no way he was taking that job without having every one of his demands met to his complete satisfaction. Not only did he want full disclosure on the current NCAA investigation, he wanted complete protection from any fallout from it. He also wanted complete control of football operations. Not just on-field assistants, but total control, just like his current boss has in Tuscaloosa.

He was told that NCAA rules forbade them from disclosing the nature and extent of any investigations and that he would not be given that level of power due to the school's "institutional control" policy. That has Rich McGlynn written all over it.

Scarbinsky reported that he also wanted to coach the Tide defense in the BCSCG and was refused on that as well. I'm not sure about this--as Malzahn is reportedly being allowed to coach his team in the GoDaddy.com bowl just one night before the BCSCG.

At the end of the day, Kirby let them know that it was he who was negotiating from the position of strength and that either they give him what he wanted, or he wasn't taking the job he never truly coveted to begin with. They balked, he walked.
I think CKS might have said, "Hey, you folks called me right?"

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa
I wrote this yesterday on my blog and feel free to disagree with me on this point: But the fact that Gus took the Auburn job means that they probably skate on the NCAA investigation, or at least receive relatively light penalties.

Gus knows where all the bodies are buried and I think he's too smart to walk into what might become a smoldering crater and risk his future marketability as a coach. There's no amount of short term cash that can mitigate the risk of becoming the next Jim Tressel--a radioactive coach that no one will likely ever touch again.
That is a LOT of short-term cash. I agree about the sanctions because he might very well be implicated because he was there. Not sure he would go back if he was truly worried. Then again, AU is like a never ending slot machine right now...it seems tto keep paying out to its coaches even if they leave.

TidefaninOS

All-SEC
Feb 14, 2009
Ocean Springs, MS
I hope we have saban for atleast 5-7 more years but theres no telling.
CNS acts like he's really enjoying coaching right now, and that he's enjoying the challenge. So I think he'll stay around for a few more years.

And something else to consider - CNS is only 60 years old, and he can't get full Social Security benefits until he's 66 ......and you just know that he'll need every cent he can get when he retires!:wink:

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
By everything I can gather (and have gathered since the Scam saga began), Malzahn was clean. Did he know what the Lupe Troop was doing? Well, if Scam can skate with a smirking "I didn't know", then IMO Malzahn won't suffer from this fallout. It will still be a while before anything comes out (or down), and if he turns around the Barn program and gets 6 - 8 wins next year (or more), he's golden. Besides, he could always pull a Francheesy...he just did at ASU. I think he is at the barn 2 - 3 years max, depends on the severity of the punishment. Even if they skate again, he won't win enough to satisfy the barners. I don't know the details of his contract, so a lot of what I posted might need to be re-evaluated, depending on said details. Either way, I think it's good for Bama.

pigsinspace

1st Team
Jan 26, 2011
Kirby Smart wanted complete control of the football program, and Auburn turned him down. I called that one. I must be psychic:biggrin2:. Of course, so did everyone else, so we must all be psychic.

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
It's real simple................here is how the interviews went:

CKS: "So, before we start, just how much trouble are you guys in, with the NCAA?"

API PTB: "Next question."

CKS: "OK.............so, if I take this job, will I get complete control of the football program? I mean complete control, especially the hiring and firing of assistants."

API PTB: "Next question."

CKS: "I see. Well, you do realize I won't be available until after our bowl game is over."

API PTB: "NEXT!!!!!!!!!! Let's see...........who is next?............uh, Gus? Oh, Gus. GUS!"

CGM: "I'll take it!"

API PTB: "Done. That was easy. Well, I think we are done here. Drinks on me."

(As a side note, the drinks really are on him. Too bad his pants are not.)

tide96

All-SEC
Oct 4, 2005
All of this is just coach speak. These days, not one is "officially" offered the job until someone accepts it.

That way a team can always say got its first choice. We all know what really happened.

Leeroy

All-SEC
Dec 27, 2005
The whole hiring process over there was just one big orchestrated con job. They knew who they were going to hire before they let Chizik go. Everyone played their part... Chizik fell on the sword and took the money. The whole staff was fired, but never left...hmmm. Dye plays up Kirby Smart like he was his guy, but he never was. Dye knows his rear is in the street if Kirby comes. He also knows that someone outside fambly would discover more than just his pants. The choice but to hire Malzhan was never a choice, it was a certainty. Anyone else and the jar of lies and corruption is opened for all of college football to see. Lather, rinse, repeat...

Roll Tide

TUSKaloosa

3rd Team
Aug 18, 2002
Cleveland, Ohio, USA
I think the PTB are taking a big sigh of relief to have Malzahn back on the plantation. He was a walking timebomb knowing all the details of the CN fiasco and they had no idea when the bomb may explode with GMs wife possibly lighting the fuse. Now they have him where if he does lose his job, he will be forever silenced by a non disclosure just like GC will be and all coaches before them. JMO

JessN

Administrator & Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Scarbinsky is correct that one of the hang-ups was the ability to follow through with coaching in the BCS game. He is also correct that the NCAA disclosure issue was a factor. In that regard, it's hard to blame Auburn completely for not being forthcoming, as anything they told Smart would go right back to Saban if Smart turned the job down.

Having said that, Scarbinsky is incorrect in that Smart didn't have an offer. All AU needed was a "yes" from Kirby Smart and he'd be the coach there today.

A person can debate the definition of the word "is" all he or she cares to. Smart had an offer, period. He says yes, and Malzahn never gets his offer, period. That's how we'll continue to report it. Auburn is denying it happened that way, I'm sure.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.