Just to make this clear about Kirby Smart and the Auburn job...

Cleburne

1st Team
Jun 16, 2011
Heart of Dixie
What I have heard is that KS was going to let the OC go and the powers that be was wanting to keep the OC. KS told them if I can not hire who I want then I will take the job. Is there any truth to this?

bamanut_aj

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2000
Spring Hill, TN
lots of interesting and neat things here....but where is all this coming from? Kirby turned them down...Kirby wanted to fire this person and that person, and so on...

So, no disrespect to Jess or anyone else, but where is all this coming from?

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
Smart was offered the Auburn job before Malzahn. He turned it down.

I notice a couple of writers are disputing this.

Smart was offered the job first. He turned it down. You can believe who you want but we have the facts and apparently, others have AU's official party line. I don't butt heads with other in-state journalists often -- only when I know who's right. And it's not them, this time.
Both sides are correct.

"If I were to offer you as coach at $3.2M per year, would you accept?"

That is an offer without offering......:cool2:

BamaSlama

1st Team
Jan 11, 2003
Madison, AL
Maybe I read too much into his comments, but on the Nick Saban Show, Coach Saban said that Kirby would be a HC in the "very near future" and he stressed "very near". I just have a feeling that something is in the works. Where? Who knows?

JessN

Administrator & Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
lots of interesting and neat things here....but where is all this coming from? Kirby turned them down...Kirby wanted to fire this person and that person, and so on...

So, no disrespect to Jess or anyone else, but where is all this coming from?
If you're asking me to cite who told me that, that won't be happening.

sanjosecrimson

Hall of Fame
May 18, 2007
San Jose, California
Maybe I read too much into his comments, but on the Nick Saban Show, Coach Saban said that Kirby would be a HC in the "very near future" and he stressed "very near". I just have a feeling that something is in the works. Where? Who knows?
Tennesse, NC State and Cal are still open. Wisconsin just became available. I wouldn't read too much into what CNS said.

CrimsonNagus

Hall of Fame
Jun 6, 2007
Montgomery, Alabama, United States
Come on guys, I believe AU when they say they never offered Smart the job. I truly believe that near the end of the interview, Coach Smart started laughing and said that Saban put him up to this; he then just walked out of the room, still laughing, before AU even had a chance to make an offer.

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
Here's a pretty telling article about why Coach Smart didn't get the job..He wanted full disclosure about the NCAA investigation & auburn wasn't willing give them..I would too if I was Coach Smart..Whatcha trying to hide auburn????..

Here's The Link..CLICK ME

WMack4Bama

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 7, 2008
Tuscaloosa, AL
Here's a pretty telling article about why Coach Smart didn't get the job..He wanted full disclosure about the NCAA investigation & auburn wasn't willing give them..I would too if I was Coach Smart..Whatcha trying to hide auburn????..

Here's The Link..CLICK ME
You beat me to it...Here's what sticks out in that article to me

His demands included full disclosure of the state of the NCAA’s current look-see at the Auburn program, full control of hiring and firing staffers and the opportunity to coordinate the Alabama defense in the BCS Championship Game against Notre Dame.
Smart’s demands are perfectly understandable. So is Auburn’s unwillingness to grant them, which is part of the reason Auburn didn’t offer Smart the job and turned toward Malzahn.

CrimsonTheory

All-American
Mar 26, 2012
CrimsonBleedRed
Taking the AU job is akin to walking in the barn full of walkers on "The Walking Dead." A bunch of mindless zombies doing whatever the heck they want to do. Glad to see Smart staying with Bama, at least for now.

Last edited:

Bad Pony

All-American
Nov 14, 1999
Pelham
Smart was offered the Auburn job before Malzahn. He turned it down.

I notice a couple of writers are disputing this.

Smart was offered the job first. He turned it down. You can believe who you want but we have the facts and apparently, others have AU's official party line. I don't butt heads with other in-state journalists often -- only when I know who's right. And it's not them, this time.
Thank you as always Jess...some folks at work are denying this happened, no sense in engaging them, it's a waste of breath.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.