Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: What Role Has Being Alabama Had In Our Resurgence?

Alabama is one of the ten or so programs that can quickly jump right back into the hunt after a down period.

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation All-SEC

Quote Originally Posted by B1GTide View Post
    The resurgence is a result of the arrival of an extraordinarily talented and driven coach. However, there are only a few programs that might allow a coach like Saban to reach his full potential, and Alabama is one of them. He can teach young men anywhere, but to win championships he needed to have an opportunity to teach really talented young men. That means that he needed a school with tradition, fan support and great facilities to attract great players.

Any school can win occasionally - it takes a program like Alabama, with a coach like Saban, to do what is happening now. It takes both.
    B1GTide,

I wanted to take a moment and let you know I appreciate your posting on this board. As a fan of the Big10 and another school (tOSU), I find your posts to be not only extremely insighful and knowledgable, but very respectful..even while putting across viewpoints that are different that ours as bama fans...
    I always appreciate hearing others perspectives...and thanks for affecting my view of tOSU fans (which while living amongst tOSU fans, is sometimes jaded by a very passionate fanbase...)

and, I couldnt agree more with this post...

there are a few schools with that history which would have given Saban the platform to build from, and I am sooooooooo glad he picked Bama to have that success at...

BamaNation Third Team

Alasippi,

Very interesting bit of insider perspective. Can you elaborate any on your source?
    Thx

BamaNation All-SEC
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

There's no doubt a unique synergy exists between the U of A -and- Coach Saban. They definitely complement each other. However, without Coach Bryant, would Bama be Bama? I have my doubts to a degree (takes nothing away from the fine institution UA truly is). But I do think UA could have potentially found another good coach after Mike Shula. Maybe we just didn't know how good CNS is when he was hired. I think now the two go hand in hand. Like CNS was meant to coach here. RTR
    “That issue has gone under the bridge, under the next bridge, over the next dam and is gone.”
    -CNS

My Mood
    Cynical on TideFans.com

Having a rabid fan base is a necessity to continued success.

BamaNation All-SEC
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by Bamaro View Post
    Having a rabid fan base is a necessity to continued success.
    Could not agree more. If the fans don't demand success, a team won't have it.
    “That issue has gone under the bridge, under the next bridge, over the next dam and is gone.”
    -CNS

Quote Originally Posted by theballguy View Post
    However, without Coach Bryant, would Bama be Bama?
    Would Michigan be Michigan without Bo Schembechler?
    Would OU be OU without Bud Wilkenson?
    Would Southern Cal be Southern Cal without John Robinson?

All of the "superpowers" have had coaches who took them from being sky-high to orbit.

BamaNation Hall of Fame Tide1986's Avatar
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

...even DuBose and Shula each managed a 10-win season at Alabama during their short tenures, and DuBose even managed to win an SEC Championship. I'd say the environment at Alabama must have some impact.
    The Concord Blue Devils, 16-Time World Champions: 2014 (99.65), 2012, 2010, 2009, 2007, 2003, 1999, 1997, 1996, 1994, 1986, 1982, 1980, 1979, 1977, & 1976. Enriching the lives of young people through a commitment to youth development and performance excellence.

“The discovery of a wine is of greater moment than the discovery of a constellation. The universe is too full of stars.” ― Benjamin Franklin

BamaNation Hall of Fame Alasippi's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by longinthetusk View Post
    Alasippi,

Very interesting bit of insider perspective. Can you elaborate any on your source?
    Thx
    No names. Just someone who gives Coach S. a golf tip from time to time.

BamaNation All-American MattinBama's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by longinthetusk View Post
    Alasippi,

Thx
    Larry Burton is known to be the best friend of Saban. Things that make you go hmmm.

It had an enormous effect. There is a hidden force at every school that is the result of decades of football season's. So a coach that goes to a school like South Carolina has an instant disadvantage over one like Alabama, and it may take 2 season's to just start effecting the force. It is a psychological phenomenon. "It's in the Water".

I do believe some people look at Steve Spurrier at SC and assume any coach with a better record is the better coach when that is far from the truth. He is a perfect example of what it takes to resurrect a a culture of losing that stretches over a century.

Matching a great coach with a great program results in Bama 2007-2012.

Suspended
    My Mood
    Festive on TideFans.com
    Quote Originally Posted by Alasippi View Post
    No names. Just someone who gives Coach S. a golf tip from time to time.
    Jordan?

BamaNation Hall of Fame Alasippi's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BFANLC View Post
    Jordan?
    I appreciate curiosity...lol...but I simply can not answer this question. I'm sure you guys understand.