What Role Has Being Alabama Had In Our Resurgence?

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
...even DuBose and Shula each managed a 10-win season at Alabama during their short tenures, and DuBose even managed to win an SEC Championship. I'd say the environment at Alabama must have some impact.

CapstoneTider

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
It had an enormous effect. There is a hidden force at every school that is the result of decades of football season's. So a coach that goes to a school like South Carolina has an instant disadvantage over one like Alabama, and it may take 2 season's to just start effecting the force. It is a psychological phenomenon. "It's in the Water".

I do believe some people look at Steve Spurrier at SC and assume any coach with a better record is the better coach when that is far from the truth. He is a perfect example of what it takes to resurrect a a culture of losing that stretches over a century.

Matching a great coach with a great program results in Bama 2007-2012.

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
I think that with a very good to great (outstanding) coach, Alabama will always be a winner! Always has been when we had Coach Wallace Wade, Coach Frank Thomas, Coach Paul Bryant, Coach Gene Stallings, and now Coach Saban. So, in the future, don't name a coach at Alabama who doesn't have their act TOGETHER!

DuBose didn't have the skill set. He was a good assistant coach. Some people are just good assistants and at that they've reached there highest level of effectiveness.
Shula wasn't ready for the big time in coaching. Didn't have the organizational skills and the stern taskmaster and workaholic mindset.
Fran: A phony!
Perkins: I just don't know why. Maybe he was lacking in the necessary skill set also: organizational, etc.
Ears Whitworth: I'm not sure but he didn't have the skill set that Coach Bryant had. Team expectations, discipline, organizational skills, maybe not having control over the program, who he could hire, etc.

BigBama76

Suspended
Oct 26, 2011
Atlanta, GA
There's no doubt a unique synergy exists between the U of A -and- Coach Saban. They definitely complement each other. However, without Coach Bryant, would Bama be Bama? I have my doubts to a degree (takes nothing away from the fine institution UA truly is). But I do think UA could have potentially found another good coach after Mike Shula. Maybe we just didn't know how good CNS is when he was hired. I think now the two go hand in hand. Like CNS was meant to coach here. RTR
Coach Bryant was one-of-a-kind but Bama had been to 4 Rose Bowls by the time it became a PAC10 or BIG10 only party in 1948. Many believe Bama was the reason why they made that decision.

The point is Coach Bryant, like Coach Saban could take that long term tradition and embrace it in a way that's allowed those two to enhance it.

thefloydian

Suspended
Oct 28, 2012
Well it's the reason Saban took the job.

However, I'd say the biggest factor in Bama's resurgence is that RichRod turned the job down.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.