Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    BamaNation All-American TheRealPokeChop's Avatar
    My Mood
    Aggressive on TideFans.com

Re: Aaron Rodgers is putting on the hate!

Rodgers would like to expand to a 40 team playoff, that might get Cal in right?
    Serve no master but your own ambition.

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation Hall of Fame IH8Orange's Avatar
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by TheRealPokeChop View Post
    It wouldn't this year. I think that they were 3-9 or something like that. It was bad enough that Tedford was fired.
    "If it feels good, then you're not doing it right" - Coach Scott Cochran

"Sharing a conference with Nick Saban is like sharing a steak with a lion. Only one of you wins that battle. And it's not you." - Gregg Doyel

BamaNation First Team
    My Mood
    Angelic on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by TheRealPokeChop View Post
    That is my thoughts excatly.
    Live your life like you wish you had.

BamaNation All-American ALA2262's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JDCrimson View Post
    We would not rest our players anymore than we did this year against auburn or any other team. Fans won't stand for tanking a game just because you clinched a spot in the playoffs.
    Not so. If there is any type of playoff system whereby Bama is already in the playoff and knows who their opponent will be, they will not only rest the starters, they will not even prepare for Auburn. They would be stupid to do otherwise. Which is why I am SO opposed to a playoff.
    Last edited by ALA2262; December 5th, 2012 at 07:35 AM.

BamaNation All-American ALA2262's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by crimsonaudio View Post
    16 team playoff? Seriously? When has there ever been a team ranked 16th that had a legitimate claim to being the best in the country?

Top4 is plenty, if they want to push it to 6 I can possibly see it, but there's never been a 7th ranked team (rarely even a fourth ranked team) that can legitimately lay claim to being the best.

Top8+ just cheapens the regular season.
    NIU sits at #15 now. NIU? GIVE ME A BREAK!

Krazy has already proved there is rarely more than 3.

I would hate to see FBS college football become more like FCS college football. But if it does, I will still watch. Like the NFL owners, college football's conference commissioners know that we (the fans) are going to watch, period. They will put the product on the field that makes them the most money. It hasn't been about crowning the best team or "student" athletes in a very long time.

Quote Originally Posted by crimsonaudio View Post
    16 team playoff? Seriously? When has there ever been a team ranked 16th that had a legitimate claim to being the best in the country?

Top4 is plenty, if they want to push it to 6 I can possibly see it, but there's never been a 7th ranked team (rarely even a fourth ranked team) that can legitimately lay claim to being the best.

Top8+ just cheapens the regular season.
    15th ranked Texas A&M beat us....

A playoff does not cheapen the regular season, in a playoff system the regular season earns you a spot in the playoff and doing well gives you the best shot of winning it all by giving you a higher ranking and allowing you to play easier games.

In football, anyone can get beat on any given Saturday. With a large playoff system Bama could possibly lose 3 games in the regular season and still be in the playoffs. I find that much more to playing in the meaningless music city bowl any day.
    You will suffer through one of two things in life, either the pain of discipline or the pain of disappointment - Nick Saban

BamaNation Hall of Fame Tide1986's Avatar
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Oh well, we're moving from crowning a national champion to crowning a tournament champion. Maybe the AP can regain relevance by crowning a regular season champion.

Quote Originally Posted by rhm54 View Post
    15th ranked Texas A&M beat us....
    So? They lost two games, they lost the right to claim to be the best.

Besides, what do you honestly think happens if that game is played 10 times?

A playoff does not cheapen the regular season, in a playoff system the regular season earns you a spot in the playoff and doing well gives you the best shot of winning it all by giving you a higher ranking and allowing you to play easier games.
    Of course it does, you're talking about allowing 2-loss teams compete against teams that won them all in order to claim they're better. Playoffs yield games where starters sit entire games (or most of them) because the team can 'afford a loss'. Playoffs yield less need to be at the top of your game every week as you only have to 'make the cut'.

Heck, if we went 'top 16' you'd have 10 teams that lost at least two games, including two teams that lost three games.

Does anyone really believe the 2007 Giants were the better team than the Patriots? The regular season was essentially meaningless as 'any given Sunday' happened on Super Bowl Sunday. The Giants never deserved the shot, got hot, and won it all.

That's not what's good for CFB.
    DISCLAIMER: I hereby reserve the right to discuss any game on the Alabama schedule I wish, at any time during the season, as I am not a part of the Crimson Tide football program. I am simply a fan who has no impact outside of the money I provide the athletic department via ticket and memorabilia purchases and the energy I can provide when I attend the games. ©2009-2014, crimsonaudio

Lurch Backwater!

BamaNation All-SEC
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

I think this is optimal:

Champs of the SEC, Pac12, Big12, Big10, ACC
    and
    3 highest ranked other teams.

Then, all conference championship games are important and worth watching.

Considering this, here is what we'd have:

1. Alabama
    2. Kansas St
    3. Stanford
    4. Florida St
    5. Wisconsin
    6. Notre Dame
    7. Florida
    8. Oregon

Sounds like a great playoff to me.
    “That issue has gone under the bridge, under the next bridge, over the next dam and is gone.”
    -CNS

BamaNation All-American crimsonbleeder's Avatar
    My Mood
    Psychedelic on TideFans.com

Putting any restrictions on a playoff or BCS for participation is the only problem we have right now and may have in the future. Fix that, and any system can work, as long as we don't get ridiculous with lengthy playoffs that favor teams from lesser conferences that don't have to endure the wear and tear that the teams in the SEC have to endure. The TOP TEAMS should be seeded in ranked order, no matter the system, WITHOUT ANY RESTRICTIONS (e.g., no conference limits, no regard to "conference championship", etc.).
    "No invention in history has been more successful in the collection and display of stupidity than the Internet. "

-Mike Herndon, Press-Register 8/20/08

Why stop at 16 teams? Heck let's use all teams bowl eligible. You say not everyone deserves to be in and I agree. With my standards the NY Giants would not have gotten into the play-offs last year. It is a farce that a 9 - 7 team became superbowl champs. That outcome is NOT saying the best team in the league won the championship. Teams with up to 5 losses get in (7 losses). Every game counts in the NCAA as of now. Bowl games are far from perfect, many of these bowl game match-ups are a "sham". I'm clueless for the best fix, all have drawbacks IMO.
    Roll Tide

I don't believe there is a "fix". People just want to criticize something different, and get tired of arguing about the same thing.... which is why the system keeps changing.

A playoff doesn't eliminate any of this. The argument just moves to who was left out. No system is going to please everyone.

If a system designed to get the two best teams playing each other for the national championship didn't work, I don't know what will.

That said, I'm not against a playoff. Heck, I haven't been "against" any system we've had. I just know that no matter what, the argument just moves to something else.